Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: High BP anyone?  (Read 1372 times)

tgisue

High BP anyone?
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »

Hi all,

I had my BP checked today at doctors during a prescription review and had 3 readings of 165/90! I am 54 and not on hrt.

She gave me a sheet to complete at home for a week of readings as i have a home monitor. Needless to say with my health anxiety I have took numerous readings since I got home with not much improvement on those readings.

If my readings stay at this level over the next week am I likely to be put on meds or be advised to start with lifestyle changes?

Trying to keep my panic under control ☹

Many thanks for any experiences/advice.

Sue

Lady Daviot

Re: High BP anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:39:17 PM »

Hi, when I had very high readings, I was given a 24hr monitor to wear. I would think that they would start with lifestyle changes first. To offer some reassurance contact the British Heart Foundation helpline ( free ) and they should be able to talk you through what can trigger and what measures you can take and also what symptoms to look out for, always key for people like me with HA. Take care.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »

Hi all,

I had my BP checked today at doctors during a prescription review and had 3 readings of 165/90! I am 54 and not on hrt.

She gave me a sheet to complete at home for a week of readings as i have a home monitor. Needless to say with my health anxiety I have took numerous readings since I got home with not much improvement on those readings.

If my readings stay at this level over the next week am I likely to be put on meds or be advised to start with lifestyle changes?

Trying to keep my panic under control ☹

Many thanks for any experiences/advice.

Sue
Taking readings when you are stressed won't help. Rather a self fulfilling prophecy. Try relaxing and deep breathing to  music for a short time and then do the reading

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »

I always get higher readings in the surgery than at home. It's worth checking that your home monitor is one of the recommended ones on the Blood Pressure UK site http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Home.  My first one wasn't and was giving totally wrong readings - much higher than with a different monitor. Also follow the instructions on the monitor to the letter i.e. mine says not to take it within half an hour of eating or drinking and there's something about the bladder too I think (haven't used mine for some time) plus to sit for five minutes with your back supported against the back of a chair and feet firmly on the floor before you take your first reading. When you think how you often have it taken in a doctors surgery it's no wonder the readings are often high.

There is also lots of info on the link I've posted to help with making lifestyle changes to help get your blood pressure under control without medication. Even a twenty minute brisk walk a day will begin to change it and definitely cut out at least some alcohol and reduce your salt intake. So much salt is included in food which we don't notice.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

wombat62

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »

Hi

Feel for you as mine always goes sky high in the docs now! Even last visit I got there early, did deep breathing, sat up right, feet on floor, didn't talk and still high and yet at home it's perfect apart from nights when I have bad sleep, it seems to go up the next day. Are you sleeping well?

There are lots of things that affect your BP so have a think what these could be. I have found that brisk walking and exercise has given me better readings. Stay hydrated, good diet etc. BP can rise with age but also if it's in the family it might be an inherited trait.

A glass of beetroot juice a day is supposed to be good for it, I've been doing it for a while so maybe it helps.

When you take it be seated calmly for a few mins, feet flat on floor, empty bladder and make sure the cuff and arm is at the right height. Take three readings and maybe at different times of the day so you might start to see a pattern?

Hope it comes down soon!

tgisue

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:54:28 AM »

Thanks for all your advice  :)

I took it this morning and 2 readings were 144/79 and best was 134/79 so an improvement on yesterday.

Will definitely be making some lifestyle changes, cutting alcohol, exercise etc and have heard of the  benefits of beetroot juice so will get some today if I can find it.