Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 53 out now. (September 2018)

twitter facebook blogger

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 447597 times)

Charlie62

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #960 on: October 08, 2018, 11:38:57 AM »

Hi Hurdity
I am new to the site but have posted recently. I am interested in your last post replying to Troomp.
I am taking femoston conti 1/5. I have been taking it for about a year after taking the progesterone only pill for many years (tried to have the mirena coil fitted but due to tilted pelvis was unable to have it) I can't remember how many years i was on the pill for but had no periods for the whole time so can't gauge when i actually started my menopause. The pill hid many symptoms but when i was told i had to stop taking it at 55 the symptoms really kicked in so started my hrt. The last year has been ok with mild anxiety & low mood every now & again, which i could handle, but recently have felt really unwell. The doctor has prescribed anti-depressants which i took for 4 days but have decided i don't want to take them. I am now going to see another doctor for a 2nd opinion.
You suggested to Troomp about increasing the Femoston to 2/10. When i mentioned to my doctor about changing my hrt a few months ago when i had a bad episode she was reluctant to do so (tbh i dont think she actually likes prescribing hrt anyway) I am a bit confused about all the different types and if my doctor doesnt know then how am i supposed to?? so confused.
Your posts are really helpful x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #961 on: October 08, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Charlie62

Femoston conti is a lowish dose and doesnít come in a higher dose.
I think increasing to a higher dose HRT might be worth trying - maybe ask for oestrogen only patch(Estrodot 50mcg) with Utrogestan?  Iím afraid conti HRTs can sometimes bring lower mood as progesterone used all the time can give PMT and fatigue.     Low mood and anxiety seems to creep in as we age anyway for many of us and we simply have to learnt to live with it.  Good exercise and some mediation can really help to lift mood. DG x

jaypo

« Reply #962 on: October 23, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »

Iím so desperate to go on hrt if only for my extreme anxiety but I have a history of breast cancer in my family so too scared to go on it. I think itís dreadful that in this day & age women are basically told,itís hrt which may or may not give you terrible side effects or even cancer,thatís your choice

Dancinggirl

« Reply #963 on: October 23, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »

Hi and welcome jaypo - it is awful that there are so many ill informed scares about HRT. A strong family history of breast cancer does make HRT something that is not a good idea and for some women HRT can often increase anxiety. If anxiety is your main menopause symptom, then you could try the non HRT prescribed drugs that often help: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Some women seem to do well on Citalopram or sister drugs to this.

There definitely needs to be more alternative treatments available for menopause symptoms.   DG x

Mushyjam49

« Reply #964 on: October 23, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »

Iím so desperate to go on hrt if only for my extreme anxiety but I have a history of breast cancer in my family so too scared to go on it. I think itís dreadful that in this day & age women are basically told,itís hrt which may or may not give you terrible side effects or even cancer,thatís your choice

Also have a history of breast cancer in my family with my mum and her mum too but I have a fantastic GP who has prescribed me HRT and all I can say is thank the Lord Jesus Christ!!!  I am monitored on a 3 month basis and am due to have the boobs squashed within an inch of their lives in the cold vice but I am slowly getting back to feeling more me again. 

Katejo

« Reply #965 on: October 28, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »

Jaypo  Have you seen the following new book (published Sept 2018)  by a medical oncologist?  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Estrogen-Matters-Hormones-Menopause-Well-Being/dp/0316481203/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=REKC66XGWJ4ANAS3NANP

It seriously disputes the connection between risk of breast cancer and use of HRT. I have only read 2 chapters so far but will read more today.  It is definitely worth looking at. If you are on FB, you might also like to look at the following page (which is where I first read about it)  https://www.facebook.com/DrHannahShort/posts/275635106413447?comment_id=275772923066332&reply_comment_id=276006203043004&notif_id=1540639469824623&notif_t=feed_comment_reply
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65]