Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

twitter facebook blogger

Author Topic: info on estradiol (valerate)?  (Read 6155 times)

oldsheep

info on estradiol (valerate)?
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »

I've been away and it was wonderful (hot , sunny, friends  :D). However while away I had problems with sleep and it just seemed that the oestrogen gel wasn't working at all. Gynae changed me to estradiol valerate (progynova tablets) which is on the Green Menu here as low/starting dose. Within a week or 2, the sleep has improved. I occasionally now have 7 hour nights, sometimes 6 hours and usually 5+ which is a huge improvement and helps with the M.E and fibromyalgia too.

However I'm now on oral oestrogen of course (combo with Utrogestan 100mgs for at least 10-12 days pm).
So I suppose safety issues come into it and how long I can safely take it for? I was told 1 year on Premarin, but not sure if this is any safer as all goes through the liver so a higher risk of DVT or stroke etc?

Is there any difference between estradiol and estradiol valerate and what is it please? So far on this one, no side effects either.

Gynae suggested seeing Dr Studd but I'd have to pay and things are going ok right now so am reluctant. We had to undersell our car as the repair bill exceeded the car's value so now have to buy a car as well  ::) :'(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:13:25 AM by oldsheep »

silverlady

Re: info on estradiol (valerate)?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »

oldsheep I have always understood estradiol valerate to be  Estradiol (E2 or 17β-estradiol, also oestradiol) it is used in patches too and I think the gel form, it could be that you are absorbing it better in pill form.

Premarin is a different type of estrogen, though in its way just a good for some women.

If you are having no side effects and its working as you want it too, maybe worrying about it is worse then continuing on it.

Why pay to go to see Prof Studd when he probably would advise the same thing, and take your money!

The risks of HRT have been over exaggerated, I can only say that if I had found an HRT that suited me with no side efects and did what I wanted it too I would be very glad and just get on and enjoy life. ( as I have )

silverlady x

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »

thanks!  Well I was moved off Premarin as had a visual disturbance type migraine while on it (when a period started) so I hope it won't happen again with this tablet as it clearly works far better for me than the gel.
I've not tried a patch, but the gynae told me the patch and the gel are really one and the same thing.
I have also added one small glass of red wine at night to the prescription as I really believe that helps too  ;)

Val.M

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »

Hi Oldsheep

If you've found something that works for you, I really wouldn't worry about the form it takes ;)

Initially, I was concerned about the different types of Estrogen available but found that for me - an Estrogen patch plus separate Progesterone is ok.  Some ladies are fine with Oral Estrogen, some are fine with Premarin :) 

I'm now a great believer in whatever works for you is FINE!

The red wine info sounds good to me ;D

Valxx

Rivadan

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

I agree, go with what you body tells you is right. Its hard enough to find a good combo, so I wouldn't stress over it. So if its tablets, red wine and chocolate - so be it  ;D