Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Spending savings wisely  (Read 2324 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Spending savings wisely
« on: January 06, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

More of us across the UK are needing to see Consultants privately.  Years ago one could not access a Private Practice without a referral letter from the GP ........ now it seems 1 is able to self refer almost anywhere.

I have never grudged spending money on my health care.  The NHS has done me well most of the time.  We had access to a private health scheme through work though it was interesting that, the more people who claimed on it siting psychological matters, that was the 'speciality' that was withdrawn first!  I had psychological counselling both privately and after a wait of 18 months, via the NHS - when I knew more than the 'therapist'.  I had my breast surgery, radiation treatment and scans privately, using the system for over 5 years.  Then I went back into the NHS breast screening dept..

My implants were done privately as the NHS won't cover costs unless it's essential following an accident, assault or mouth disease.  I am thrilled to bits with them, it means that I have 'saved' the neighbouring teeth from becoming loose as well as not getting gum problems.

We have savings.  We have no relatives to leave our pennies to.  So if push came to shove and we required i.e. hip surgery, we would opt for an NHS appt. to see what is required and if necessary, spent our money on surgery if recommended.  That then leaves an NHS bed free ..... but that would require paying the Surgeon; Anaesthetist; Nursing Staff; Physio.; Blood Bank and Plebotomy if necessary. Plus the room charge ...... I think the bath is free ;-).

What would you give up in order to remain healthy?