Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Just started HRT  (Read 1322 times)

Desperateforsleep

Just started HRT
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:13:23 PM »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello and also ask for some advice.  I have just started HRT, am 49 & in the perimenopause (approx 1 period every 2 months, although not had one for 4 months now, lots of hot flushes & night sweats, some anxiety, possibly some irrational behaviour - but it's difficult to know! etc).   In the inital consultation my GP implied that patches were better than tablets as they don't get processed by the liver - so I went for patches.  She prescribed Evorel Conti.  After sticking on my first patch and then looking on here I realised that they probably weren't right so phoned up and got the prescription changed to Evorel Sequi (I put the first one on yesterday).  I have a couple of questions.  Firstly what is the down side of taking the Conti vs. the Sequi in the perimenopause? And secondly what are the pros of taking HRT orally vs via patch?  Many thanks for any help :)

Taz2

Re: Just started HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »

Hi Desperateforsleep - welcome.

You are right in that you should use a sequi HRT as you have not been over a year without a period. It's a good job you were knowledgeable enough to ask for the correct prescription.

If you use a conti HRT during peri-menopause then you will put yourself at risk of endometrial cancer because using unopposed oestrogen will lead to the lining of the womb building up which could cause cancerous changes. Sequi HRT should give you a withdrawal bleed every month - usually a few days after starting the new box of patches - which may be seen as a nuisance but is very important to keep your womb healthy. The first couple of bleeds may be quite heavy and a bit painful but this should settle down by around the third month.

Patch HRT is delivered straight into the bloodstream which means it bypasses the liver and you then avoid the digestive problems sometimes associated with a pill HRT. It is also safer for older women as pill HRT can lead to stroke/blood clot in that age group.

You will find lots of friendship and support on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Desperateforsleep

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »

Hi Taz2 - thanks for your reply.

Very glad I found this forum - otherwise I would have had no idea I had been prescribed the wrong thing.

So are there any downsides to patch over pill HRT? - the only one I found was that patch could cause skin irritation - but I assume there are other downsides or everyone would have the patch instead.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »

One of the downsides is the cost - that's a downside to the doctors practices of course. They cost far more than pill HRT which is why  many women are put on pill HRT to start with. Some women do get skin irritation from the patches - although each type of patch uses a different adhesive so there are others you could try if you do get a reaction. One of the other downsides is that some patches don't stick very well and as the hormone is contained in the adhesive it is important that the patch is in contact with your skin rather than just being held in place with something such as micropore. It is annoying when they fall off before it's time to put the next one on!

I have had patch HRT for the past ten years and have found it to be excellent.

Taz x

Desperateforsleep

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »

Many thanks :) Great info