Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ankle fracture experiences...?  (Read 1616 times)

matildamouse

Ankle fracture experiences...?
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:35 AM »

So I slipped on a wet golf course and spiral fractured my fibula. I still walked on it for about 20metres as I was not convinced it was fractured despite hearing the snapping sound as I thought breaking a bone would be more painful...I was told by ED I have a high pain threshold... :o As it was a stable fracture, I fortunately did not need surgery!

So 5 weeks on I am in a moon boot and weight bearing on crutches. I am trying to wean myself from the crutches to walk with the boot only but..... my oh my... I forgot how to walk ???.
My brain and legs refuse to work together and my self confidence took a nasty blow with this whole incident. SO SO scared to reinjure myself or have another fall...I get older people's fears about falls after this and have so much empathy and understanding now.

Anybody who can identify and give tips how to relearn to walk after 53 years of walking... ::)

Daisydot

Re: Ankle fracture experiences...?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »

Hi Matilda I also had a bad injury after a fall last year I had to have physio as my brain wasn't telling my body the right info so I was still wobbly with very bad vertigo.i didn't realise then it was probably the menopause causing my dizziness which resulted in the fall smashing all the front of my head in.The best thing to do is core exercises to get your balance and strength sorted out look up you tube to get some good examples.I couldn't stand on one leg or walk in a straight line or step over things so that's what I started with to reconnect the brain and then progressed to other stuff but it was all about balance for me maybe your the same we don't realise the trauma effects till we start to heal again,it's been a long year for me but I've managed to improve significantly just don't rush it and you will make a speedy recovery and perhaps ask your GP to refer you for physio if nothing else it will get your confidence growing again if you get the right advice early on.good luck and think positive xx

matildamouse

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »

Thanks Daisydot, this lack of self confidence came as a big surprise to me.
What shocked me is how quick and easy it is to injure yourself and then this lengthy and frustrating rehab process of which mine is still "easy" as oppose to others. This whole experience was a lesson in patience and gratitude...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »

Could you swap to elbow crutches?  Remember, using crutches warns others that you are injured so hopefully they will avoid bumping into you.

It takes about 6-10 weeks for a fracture to heal.  Little steps  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:16:54 PM »

The moon boot may come in useful at this time of year ;-)

Do you elevate the limb when sitting?

matildamouse

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Haha CKLD...good idea...as it is my poor husband is doing everything atm and also have to chauffeur me around...🙄Yes I elevate quite a lot as it gets painful if hanging down for too long. I still ice as well for the swelling.

I am down to one crutch and find it OK though walk with a limp and abnormal gait, so will ask physio re that tomorrow. Swelling has also significantly increased since I am fully weightbearing despite both or one crutch.