Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT reluctance...  (Read 829 times)

Hezzalady67!

HRT reluctance...
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:03:05 AM »

Hi
I am reluctant to go on full-blown HRT as have had problems with acne, migraine and weight over the years and could never stay on contraceptive pills due to severe migraine. I have hardly had the above problems now, but have lots of meno issues as I have posted about.

Anyone know if HRT could exacerbate these issues?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT reluctance...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »

There are so many types of HRT it is difficult to be clear about what might actually suit you.  Maybe write down your symptoms to decide which you would like sorted first.  Also, some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/diary gives a clear indication of the changes. 

In the mean time, browse round, make notes.  Put your symptom into the search box to see if anything pops up.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »

Hi Hezzalady67!

The oestrogen in the combined contraceptive pills is totally different from HRT - and is synthetic and much stronger. Most HRT now contains estradiol which is identical to our own oestrogen so is much gentler.  Some women find that migraines worsen during peri-menoipause or start up for the first time ( as I did), and some find they lessen as the hormonal fluctuations subside. yet other women find that low oestrogen gives frequent headaches - so it depends on how you react. There is a lot of info about migraine and menopause which i presume you have read?

This is what it says on this website:

Migraine
Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

Here are some other links:

Migraine Trust:
https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/menopause-and-midlife/
National Migraine Centre:
http://www.nationalmigrainecentre.org.uk/migraine-and-headaches/migraine-and-headache-factsheets/migraine-menopause-and-hrt/

Perhaps you could remind us of your menopausal problems and what you would like to treat? As you see trans-dermal HRT is recommended for those with history of migraine. Sometimes the synthetic progestogens can trigger migraines but there is a preparation with just progesterone - Utrogestan - which some women find triggers fewer migraines.

Do come back to us if you have any other questions about this?

Hurdity x

Hezzalady67!

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »

Thanks so much for the comprehensive replies! It's mainly lack of energy, mood swings and weight gain. I will have a look further round the forum.