Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Losing my mind ?  (Read 6246 times)

Nasil41

Losing my mind ?
« on: September 01, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Hi all
New to this site and I must say it has opened my eyes to how ignorant I was about the menopause. Who knew there was so many symptoms !I knew about the hot flushes and periods stopping  but the rest ...oh my  ???
I don't know where to start but will try give a brief history and hopefully you ladies can help me as I don't know if im starting menopause or losing my mind
I'm 47 and have suffered with anxiety on and off most my adult life but it was always after some life event and controlled quite quickly by anti depressants. In 2014 another major life changing event happened but I managed to plod on until early the next year when I had to have surgery ( deviated septum) and from there everything went down hill. I would wake up every morning and could literally feel the adrenaline surging round my body and then full blown panic which lasted up until evening just to be repeated the next day. I couldn't function, couldn't work couldn't sleep or eat I lost nearly 10 kg in 2 months.
The doc put me back on antidepressant but this time it didn't work, tried another that too did nothing. Went to a&e thinking I was dying a few times and was treated for water infections.  Next I was referred to a psychiatrist and given some heavy duty meds which did help but I still didn't feel right. I was diagnosed with GAD.
My periods were still coming but not regular they seemed to be every 3 weeks and very heavy and I had terrible joint pain this I was told was all a side effect of medication which it could of been.
I was back at work but still felt not me and then the hot feeling and the sweating started earlier this year the sweat would be literally running down my face it was embarrassing and I was constantly fanning myself and using a desk fan . A colleague mentioned I could be starting ' the change' but I thought I was too young so just got on with it.
Last week I had a terrible panic episode at work and I don't know where it came from it scared the life out of me and then the next day I woke with that awful feeling back and thinking my meds had stopped working. It was while I was googling that I discovered the 34 menopause signs and I ticked off 18 of them!!
Even the burning tongue one which ive had since last year. My period hasn't yet arrived so I'm late but when im telling doc they put everything down to side effects of med and my anxiety ... My head is battered am starting menopause or am I just anxious?
Phew that went on a bit so if anybody did get to the end of this post please feel free to comment
Many thanks  ???

babyjane

Re: Losing my mind ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »

I can't comment just now as I don't have time and don't want to just say something trite so, for now, I will say hello and  :welcomemm:  You have come to the right place for information, support and cyber friendship.  I will be back later. Bye for now  :)

dazned

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

I just did a reply and it disappeared !  :-\

Nope definitely not losing your mind!
Although I know and understand that feeling very well,also feeling convinced that I had several terminal illness!  :'(
Maybe try keeping a simple diary for a couple of months,jot down symptoms, see if a pattern emerges. Try to eat as healthy as possible,exercise and keep us posted,you're not alone now you've found us ! ;)

Nasil41

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »

Thank you ladies  :)
I must say im so pleased I stumbled across this site it makes me feel a bit safer if you know what I mean and im not alone.....
I wish the docs would listen to me instead of just saying it's anxiety or medication
The amount of medication I am currently on and also have been tried on is unreal all down to anxiety. Of course all this worry about not getting better was making me worse all the 'why's, buts and what if's' I ended up with depression just to top it off
I know I'm an anxious person and I always will be but this anxiety was hideous I was literally begging to be admitted to hospital   :-\

Freckles

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

There's some great reader friendly papers on Prof. John Studd's web site regarding how hormones imbalances affect emotional states such as anxiety and depression, etc, even if you have a history of emotional problems. Quick Google will bring him up
Have a read, get informed  and get your hormone levels by your GP hecked for verification!
Good luck! Informed knowledge is power! xx

Freckles

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »

Also AD's and other meds won't work if the cause on hormonal imbalances!
Honestly do read around as much as possible and DON'T take our GP advice as gospel.
In my personal experience my GOP's advice was outdated, totally inappropriate, contrary to NICE guidelines and basically crap.
She was aged about 12 years old, decided that at 55 I was "Too Old" for on-going HRT (based on my age) and that I needed long term AD's.
As I quite fancy  a date before I die and won't get one with a beard, balding head hair, fat stomach and wondering around life like a chemically coshed escapee from a Home for the Terminally Bewildered, found Studd's regime life changing.  Also avialble on the NHS btw .
Truly read a lot.  There is a lot of misleading and crap advice out there xx

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »

wondering around life like a chemically coshed escapee from a Home for the Terminally Bewildered,

Freckles I realise your attempt at humour but I find this unnecessary. When ADs are used correctly this will not happen and, if it does, something is wrong.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:51 AM »

I understand that Hasty, it is not the observation I object to but the flippant terminology. It is, in my opinion, not a kind way to refer to patients who do have mental health issues and struggle to function. 

Severe untreated hypothyroidism/myxoedema can also result in such manifestations (including the 'bearded, bald and big tummy' bit) although thankfully these days it will not be allowed to get to that level. and, in times gone by there were many such patients.  I just found the post bordering on disrespectful even though I am sure it was written in jest. 

Nasil41

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice freckles I will be doing some research this afternoon as I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday and want to go in armed.
I'm on a AD cocktail called Californian rocket fuel ( venlafaxine &mirtazapine) and also pregablin and im still anxious and depressed  :o
I have read that venlafaxine is the best for hot flushes but it ain't doing anything for mine
Roll on Tuesday I have a list of demands

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »

I would like to see GPs being advised that ladies of a 'certain' age who present in Surgery with depression/anxiety may well be headed towards The Change. So that appts. can be arranged to discuss what may be appropriate.

ADs can certainly work if used correctly.  Regardless of whether depression/anxiety are hormone led (here I go again  ::)) - if that is the main reason a lady goes to the GP, then that is what should be prescribed to ease those symptoms.  With such short appt. times in the UK, as we are aware, if that is what the patient complains of ........   also, some don't want to or are advised not to take HRT.

Many do find HRT really useful in relieving these symptoms during The Change but sometimes, it can be Trial and Error finding an HRT which helps, leaving the lady at risk of becoming more depressed/anxious.

It's sometimes easier to find a GP who will prescribe ADs than who is up to speed with regard HRT.  So having some easation of depression/anxiety can give the lady time to find out more about which HRT may well be useful.  Once that kicks in she can then drop the ADs - some do find however that they need both forms of treatment.

I have brain fog - but it's better than not being able to get out of bed  :-\

I think it was the late, Great Terry Wogan that coined the phrase 'Home for the Terminally Bewildered'  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:47:47 AM by CLKD »

dazned

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »

I too now use an AD to control my anxiety when the Hrt that I'd previously been on successfully for years stopped working for me . I was left in a terrible state for months trying numerous hrt regimes to no avail sadly. Then I started on an AD that turned my life around for the better ,now I can live again and enjoy life. Everyone is different in their approach and I couldn't of care less what I took to gain my life and sanity back. I hope you get yours back soon Nasil41
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:13:02 PM by dazned »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »

When I was very ill with anxiety I said I would take heroin if it worked!

That early morning hormone, Cortisol I think it's called, is known for waking the body but also can cause anxiety surges.  I was told by an 'expert' that a panic attack cannot sustain itself for more than 30 mins., my longest was 2 days and nights  :'(.  I got up during the appt. and walked out!!!

How is your diet over all Nasil?  Low blood sugar can cause anxiety surges too and if the body hasn't been nourished over-night?  I was advised to eat every 3 hours even in the night - my puppy at the time soon learnt that there were biscuits by the bed  ;)

Nasil41

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »

CLKD my diet is not good and since commencing on the mirtazapine I can eat for England on a night . I sometimes can go till late afternoon without eating as I don't have an appetite
At my worst when I was literally bed bound for weeks I lost loads of weight I looked fabulous but felt dreadful. The psychiatrist put me on a drug but did warn it could cause weight gain and boy was she right I am not now taking it but the weight has stayed unfortunately

Nasil41

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »

Dazned I will be on some sort of AD for life but it doesn't concern me as I know I'm better on one than without. I have been on them for about 15 years maybe longer but I keep making the mistake of stopping them when I feel "normal"
on talking to friends about anxiety and the menopause not one of them knew it was a symptom or that there was 34 of them I think they thought I was exaggerating.
I'm going to ask to be referred back to psychiatrist to see what they know about it and also have a medication review I really think I am being overmedicated which isn't  helping x

dazned

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:07:53 PM »

I know it's difficult but do try to train yourself to eat at breakfast,lunch and dinner time. I like you used to not eat until night time then I could eat for England ! ::)
I couldn't shift weight and was referred to a dietician. Basically was told that it you " starve " the body for hours the body panics and holds on to the calories because it's not sure when the next fuel, "feed " is coming ! By eating small regular meals not only is everything kept on an even keel,sugar wise the body doesn't " hoard " so calories actually get burnt. Hope that makes sense! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3