Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: hrt advice  (Read 1681 times)

yeahrightmorris

hrt advice
« on: July 26, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »

Hi - I'm 40, 13 years post TAH, one ovary removed 2 years later, one remaining but not working properly any more - hence HRT.  I've been prescribed evorel conti for about a year, but with each use my skin has got more and more sensitive to them, to the point where my skin is raw - so I've been skipping patches, sometimes going weeks without - and these weeks are awful - brain fog, bloating, hot flushes, anxiety - the works.  I have to have combined HRT as I have endometriosis (ongoing since hyst, but not a candidate for surgery as I'm a mess inside lol).

Are there any alternatives to evorel conti that cause less irritation, or are smaller and breathable?  I've had elleste solo and had the same issue, plus my endo got really bad on the oestrogen only.

I'm at the docs this aft to get some pain relief for my endo/adhesions, I'm going to bring up the HRT thing.  I know it's a bit too late to ask advice here but thought I'd just pop a message on and hope someone can help before I go!

Thanks,

Lisa

xx

yeahrightmorris

Re: hrt advice
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:52:56 PM »

GP has prescribed antihistamines for when I have a reaction. Says that patches are best when I have endo and ovarian cyst, so my choices are limited. He did say I could try Elleste again (but the combined version rather than the oestrogen only) if this didn't work.

I wish there was a more breathable/flexible patch. These crinkly plastic ones are naff! 😆

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM yeahrightmorris
Why not try Oestrogel applied daily and then take progesterone pills daily alongside - either Provera or Utrogestan. This would be a conti regime that could work well for you - you are simply using oestrogen and progesterone separately but at the same time. If you suffer with endo then Provera may work best, as it is more powerful than Utrogestan, however Provera is quite gentle in comparison to many other progesterones  DG x

Salad

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »

I know what you mean about crinkly plastic patches and I reacted to some, I think it was worse when the patch wrinkled on my skin. I now use Estradot which are about the third of the size of the patches I was using and they are a rubbery plastic, so more pliable and stick really well (no reaction).
Not sure they come in a combination patch though so you'd need separate progesterone.

Might be worth thinking about if you want to stick with patches  :D
  :welcomemm:

yeahrightmorris

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:37 PM »

Thank you both!  I was thinking about estradot but I'm sure I read somewhere it was discontinued, or not available on the NHS or something?  I must be wrong though, my memory is useless (ha - thanks, menopause!). The gel is another one I was thinking of - my old GP (I can never get an appointment with her any more - she's always fully booked) mentioned it last time I saw her.

I've put my patch on my outer thigh for a change - I'm a (very) big girl, so there's no unwobbly bit on my body to stick it on.  I usually have it at the base of my back/top of my bum - and keep switching sides, but I think it's sticking better on the thigh. No reaction yet so fingers crossed.

I've not managed to pick up my prescription anyway, my local chemist never has my patches in stock, so I have to go through to the city centre some time today.  I'm not on my last one, but I really need the pain relief on the same script, so I have to go.  I'm going away for a night with the boyfriend tomorrow, and I'm trying to: get triplet teenagers ready for staying with family from tonight (how I've not resorted to murder yet, I'm not sure), get the house clean and tidy, get packed and get myself ready to set off at 6am.  I don't think there's a patch for stress lol.