Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection  (Read 7888 times)

Katejo

I had a throat infection/cold back in April and lost my voice. I didn't go to a GP because i was sure that it was a virus. I have another now which is different. It started with a scratchy throat and headache on Sunday so i thought i was getting a cold but the cold symptoms didn't develop.
Yesterday i still had a sore scratchy throat, husky voice and a slight temperature but i thought it was past the worst. I was taken by surprise when I woke up with an unbearably sore throat and virtually no voice at all. I suspect that it is a bacterial one rather than a virus.

I don't really want to take antibiotics for it. However I read something which surprised me a lot. It said that, without antibiotics, a patient remains infectious for 2-3 weeks, well after the symptoms have cleared. In comparison, when taking an AB, the patient is no longer infectious after 24 hours. have any of you heard of this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Throat infections & use of antibiotics for a bacterial infection
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »

Not really thought about it.  It probably depends on which 'bug' has taken hold!  It's said that a cold virus takes 3 days to catch, 3 days to suffer, 3 to give it away  ::)

As a rule GPs give out far too many ABs without explaining what they were designed for.  My GP in the 1970s would recommend gargling with Aspirin 3 times a day for a sore throat  ::), now probably Paracetmol would be advised - maybe speak ? with a Pharmacist for advice?  You may need something to keep the temp. down and another medication to ease the sore throat.  As well as keeping hydrated, even through a straw. 

Strepsils are still recommended for sore throats  :sick02:

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »

Our surgery rarely give out ABs and class most illnesses as viral, that's where my chest, sinus and ear infection was missed at Xmas

If I've got a bacterial infection I want ABs, well if there's any left I'm not allergic to that is, that last infection took weeks to go without them

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 09:18:45 AM »

I have just spoken to a GP and am going to see him soon. On the phone he talked about an AB even though he thinks it is a virus! So I challenged that and asked why. I will update this when I have seen him.
I am already taking paracetamol and gargling salty warm water. I did take Strepsils yesterday but don't care for them much. Think I will just buy a packet of boiled sweets to suck just to keep the throat moist.

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

I use Tyrozets as they numb the throat a little bit.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »

Have just seen GP who is sure it is just a virus. He didn't push AB's on me.

I just wonder why I get this so often. Others have a sore throat without completely losing their voices. Just get  a bit husky and then recover. It may be partly because of my underactive thyroid and the op I had to remove the goitre. The number of infections reduced just after that op but have now crept back a bit.
However my brother had the same op for a much larger goitre and he doesn't have the same problem.

Scampi

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

My voice is very susceptible to sore throats - I usually lose my voice with a cold, never mind an actual throat infection.  In my case, it just seems to me that my vocal chords swell easily so any irritation sets them off.  I've only bothered with a doctor visit if there's no improvement after 3 days of resting my voice, or when I know it's tonsillitis (I've had it so many times in my life I know EXACTLY what it feels and looks like - I have permanently enlarged tonsils).

I hope you feel better soon.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

My voice is very susceptible to sore throats - I usually lose my voice with a cold, never mind an actual throat infection.  In my case, it just seems to me that my vocal chords swell easily so any irritation sets them off.  I've only bothered with a doctor visit if there's no improvement after 3 days of resting my voice, or when I know it's tonsillitis (I've had it so many times in my life I know EXACTLY what it feels and looks like - I have permanently enlarged tonsils).

I hope you feel better soon.
Glad it's not just me!  I always wonder why the voice doesn't improve until it is completely gone. It seems logical to avoid talking to rest it but mine never seems to improve until I have almost lost it. Yesterday the voice was largely ok and i convinced myself that i had escaped voice loss this time but no....

Have you considered having the tonsils removed?
I have a little sensitive patch at the back of my throat. An infection always starts there. Even if i have no infection, it gets tickled/irritated by certain foods.

Cassie

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »

Why would you challenge your GP,  if its strep throat you need an antibiotic...can be very dangerous...if its that painful and sore chances are its bacterial, I would be only too greatful for the antibiotics, just remember to take a good probiotic with them, you dont want to end up with thrush....oh ok just seen that you have already seen him, glad that you got sorted.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

Why would you challenge your GP,  if its strep throat you need an antibiotic...can be very dangerous...if its that painful and sore chances are its bacterial, I would be only too greatful for the antibiotics, just remember to take a good probiotic with them, you dont want to end up with thrush....oh ok just seen that you have already seen him, glad that you got sorted.
When I spoke to the GP on the  phone he said that it was almost definitely a virus but he would give me an AB. That is what I challenged. Then he saw me and said that it was a virus.
I have had experiences in the past when I felt a GP was pushing the AB on me. I explained that I knew the difference between bacterial and virus and that an AB wouldn't help the virus.

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »

How would one know the difference between a bacterial and a viral throat infection, would be interested to know..as I always drag myself off to the GP when I have a bad throat and most of the time get prescribed ABs

nearly50

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »

Most throat infections are viral, this link might help - it says only 5-10% of sore throats are bacterial
http://www.medicinenet.com/sore_throat_virus_or_strep/views.htm

I don't think GPs give out ABs for a sore throat now, I was told they didn't help and they're making such an effort to cut down on use it is very hard to get them now.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

Why wouldn't 1 challenge a Practitioner who doles out ABs to keep patients quiet.  There is a World-wide resistance to most ABs and it is said that in 5 years, there are diseases that won't be cured any longer, Syphillus and Gonorrea being 2! 

A throat swab can be taken to see if it is Strep throat but in most cases over-the-counter pain-relief and gargling regularly, eases symptoms.  The voice disappears because the vocal chords thicken as they become clogged with germs/mucous  :neutral: ....... as the sufferer tries to talk the voice packs up ;-). 

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »

How would one know the difference between a bacterial and a viral throat infection, would be interested to know..as I always drag myself off to the GP when I have a bad throat and most of the time get prescribed ABs
The GP had a quick look in my throat and said that it was just viral. He has seen similar cases. Normally I would assume that it was a virus. i was only concerned because the soreness was worse than usual. Hope it improves by tomorrow.

Some GP's feel under pressure from their patients. About 9 years ago I had a French lodger who was a student teacher. She got a bad throat and cold and went to the GP expecting AB's. He told her it was a virus and so didn't give her any. She came home convinced that it was the NHS saving money! I explained it to her but she didn't believe me.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »

..... lots of rest, outdoors in the shade with a warm breeze? 
Pages: [1] 2 3