Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Don't recognise myself  (Read 3135 times)

milliem

Don't recognise myself
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »

New to the site and looking for some support, just signed off work again yesterday for the second time in 20 months. I have a stressful job and just feel I have lost all confidence in myself and anxiety is out of hand, was on antidepressants but stopped in January and don't feel I'm depressed now. I do yoga, eat healthy, have good friends and supportive partner but my head feels scrambled especially at work!!

Mbrown001

Re: Don't recognise myself
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »

Typical meno issues I'm afraid.

If you can tell us a bit more about yourself...age ....more meno symptoms....period free.

Then perhaps we can point you in the right direction..

:welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »

Taking time out is important.  'me' time, we have a thread here somewhere  ::)

Some ladies find that keeping a list of food/moods/symptoms useful to sort out what they want sorted first.  Browse round.

Anxiety can be hormone based but if it becomes over-whelming then do seek medication to ease symptoms, either on a regular basis or 'as necessary'.  Once anxiety is more manageable you can see the wood for the trees and decide what you need.

milliem

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:26:14 PM »

Period free for 3 years, taking supplements, joint pain improved, no libido, thinking about tibilone and also been thinking about CLD oil for anxiety, any thoughts??

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:29:53 PM »

I take something that is prescribed by a GP which has been tested and approved.  I would never take CLD oil unless other prescribed routes didn't work. 

If you take 'tibilone' give that a chance to work first?

Mbrown001

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:36:33 PM »

HRT should be offered before ADs

Not sure how you feel about HRT. Its a very personal decision and some women prefer to manage by more natural methods.

You could try St John's Wort for your anxiety. Check with a pharmacist first as you can't take it with some meds.

If you did try HRT it would be a continuous one as you wouldn't want to go back to having a bleed.

If you look at the green menu at the top of the page you can explore various options including natural preparations.

Mrs B

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »

Hi MillieM-  :welcomemm:

You sound like me. Stress can amplify the symptoms- can your work do anything to help if you speak to them?
If anxiety is your main symptom there is a belief that HRT in post menopausal women won't really be helped by HRT as it's difficult to treat. Would you employer pay for a course of CBT sessions as part of your rehabilitation?
X

vickypk

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »

Hi milliem
I had very bad anxiety about four years ago.  I had never had anything like that before, it got so bad I didn't want to leave the house in the end, was even afraid to go into shops.  I did have a healthy lifestyle then, I used to take a lot of supplements and exercised daily.  It just seemed to be a fear of everything.  I went to my GP and she suggested antidepressants, but I couldn't get on with those at all and had to stop taking them.  I asked if I could try HRT, she was against that really, but I said I just wanted to give it a go.  I tried HRT on and off for a couple of years and I couldn't get on with that, oestrogel and utrogestan.  I really didn't know what to do as I thought my life was over.
Two friends said that use the patches and they have helped them, so I gave them a go.  I did get a few side effects in the beginning.  I am fine now and have been using the patches for a couple of years, all the anxiety went in the end.  I feel very well now and run and swim every day.
Hope this helps you a bit
xx

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »

Hi milliem

:welcomemm: from me too!

I have been taking HRT for 10 years and do not suffer from anxiety - whatever that means! I have always been a worrier but can so far cope well with life (I am fortunate in not having any life stresses). I had extreme mood swings when peri-menopausal and cried buckets but I have been calm for several years. I would urge you to think about HRT if you have no medical reason why this is not advised. I prefer not to take a continuous combined HRT because the continuous progestogens ( especially the synthetic ones) can cause anxiety in some women or at least the side effects can sometimes outweigh the beneficial effects of oestrogen. I am on a long cycle ( under medical supervision) and so have a bleed every 6-8 weeks - nowhere near as bad as periods were though  ::).

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

As an aside Hurdity - have you ever been crippled by anxiety ?   Day after day after ........

Nic1

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »

My anxiety is constant and I can't bear it.i am on tamoxifen as had breast cancer recently just finished radiotherApy. I am 51 with regular heavy periods. Have tried various ad and rescue remedy and counselling am currently on trazadone I am really struggling and some days want it all to end

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »

Welcome Nic1 - in 1996 I had a lump removed which at histology was found to have changes at the margins, had radiation treatment for 4 weeks followed by tamoxifen which made me really ill.  So I stopped that and have been OK - the drug has it's own risks have these been explained?

Was the cancer oestrogen dominant.  Your GP should be able to ease the heavy periods.  Also has it been suggested that you have a beta-blocka daily to ease anxiety surges or an 'as-necessary' drug to take when anxiety over-whelms you?

cubagirl

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »

CLKD my mum was crippled with anxiety, couldn't even leave the house to take me to school. My dad taught me at age 5 which bus to go on. She even struggled to take me to bus stop at bottom of our road. She was on meds for anxiety for 30 plus years. No HRT  back then, but maybe it wouldn't have helped with her anxiety. Of course I only found this out when I was in my mid to late teens. It wasn't discussed much even then. She ended up going for counselling at local mental hospital.

Crippling anxiety isn't something which anyone has much control over. I've been lucky in that only had a bad spell for 2 years.

Hope those of you suffering find something which helps.  :hug:

Nic1

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies I have tried beta blockers to no avail so scared I will lose my bloke and job as it's so bad am trying yoga swimming and have joined a meet up group very limited what you can take on tamoxifen but I had anxiety before I started taking it thanks again