Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Some advice please - new to HRT  (Read 1620 times)

Aggie

Some advice please - new to HRT
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »

Hi everyone,

Relatively new here but posted a couple of months ago about the possibility of getting BHRT on the NHS, anyway long story short I had an appointment at a local clinic today.

I'm 52, peri and ticking a lot of the symptom boxes but because I have had DCIS (non invasive breast cancer) didn't expect to be even considered on the NHS for any kind of treatment.

The main symptom and the one I can't cope with is feeling angry all the time.  😩.  I'm normally quite a laid back tolerant type, but ATM I could commit an act of aggression just because someone reaches past me at the shelves in Tesco!! I do NOT want to live like this, but on the other hand I'm usually someone who will avoid medication unless it's absolutely essential and probably take about one paracetamol a year.

Anyway - so today the consultant has given me a prescription for sandrena gel and utrogestan 100mg for 12 days a month.  I'm still pretty regular period wise...missed a couple.  I'm due any minute (although my pmt bloating is getting longer and worse so who knows!) so my questions are...

1.  Due to my other prominent symptom brain fog, I can't remember if the consultant said that day 1 of cycle is day 1 of utrogestan?  If it is so I take it for 12 days then only again when I start another period or assuming the 28 day cycle therory, leave it for 16 days then start it again regardless of when the period starts?  Sorry if I'm being incredibly thick here but I don't have anything in writing as yet but want to start it when I come on and don't want to leave it another month if that's how it works. Agh.   ::)

Thanks ladies  :)

Aggie

Re: Some advice please - new to HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:49:31 PM »

Well, brain fog wins again I did have other questions but forgotten them but will post when I remember.  Please feel free to point me to relevant threads although my peri induced ADHD will probably mean I won't be above to concentrate long enough to work out if they apply to me 😬

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

Hi Aggie
HRT should actually control your cycle. This may take a few months as in the peri stage your own hormones may have a strong influence. Erratic or breakthrough bleeding can occur in the first few months.
I think day one of a cycle is usually the first day of a period - if I'm wrong on this then can someone please correct me.
So Aggie - if I were you, I would start using the gel soon after your next period starts (one application per day on inner thighs or upper arms) and then after 16 days of just the oestrogen gel, add in the Utrogestan for 12 days alongside the oestrogen gel. Normally one gets the next period about one to two days after finishing the Utrogestan phase. Do take the Utrogestan before bed on an empty stomach and expect it to make you feel sleepy, which usually wears off by morning.
Good luck DG x
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:11:19 PM by Dancinggirl »

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »

Hi Aggie- taking the utrogestan vaginally usually lessens any side effects ( you just shove the tablets up- sorry!) .
I had the same anger issues in Peru- I felt complete and utter rage most of the time. It's pretty horrible isn't it.
Give your HRT time to work- ideally at least 3 months and I hope you don't have too many side effects. X

Aggie

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:29 PM »

Ah thanks so much for your replies 😄.  As it's been day one of the cycle I think I have felt a bit better today thankfully (the PMT is getting WORSE every time!) I'm gonna put the gel on in the morning and then day 16 for the Utrogestan.  THANKS dancinggirl for those very specific instructions - just what I need ATM - I really have become an airhead!  Michellemabelle YES it's unbearable isn't it!  I have a face like a smacked bum a lot of the time these days and it's just not me.  I do hope this will help but from reading a lot of the threads here there seems to be a lot of trial and error.  I'm a bit nervous about it really as I'm not really a fan of any type of medication unless I feel it's necessary, and I did tell the consultant about the fact I had been on levothyroxine smallest dose ever and it didn't agree with me, and she surmised that I'm probably quite sensitive to hormones, which may not bode well, but I will take your advice and try and give it a chance to work! 😄  The doc did tell me about 'shoving it up there' HAHAHA I will probably take that option as I believe it's then not having to be processed by the liver which has to be better, right?  😬  Thanks again xx

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:48 AM »

That's right Aggie- your doc seems fairly clued up. I'm the same with any medication. ADs sent me loopy- sleeping tablets don't work, epidurals didn't take. I think some people are just more sensitive to meds than others.
I wish you well with the HRT- try not to think about the negatives though as this might become a self fulfilling prophecy!
See how you go- you'll know fairly quickly if it's helping- for me it's not been positive overall but it did help with the flushes and anger.x

Aggie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Thanks Michele yes my overall impression was that the consultant knows her stuff and was very nice.  I'm sorry to hear it's not been positive overall for you.  Are you persisting with trying different treatments?  At least it's helped in part? Xx

MicheleMaBelle

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »

It's not been great for me Aggie- helped with flushes and severe mood swings but that's about it. I've tried 5 regimes now and have felt worse on them and increasingly worse at that.
It's given with the one hand and taken away with the other so I'm going to give myself a break to see how I go although it's a bit of a struggle. Lots of women get on great with it though, so it's just my experience- hopefully you'll start to feel better soon.

X