Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy and mirena coil - advice please  (Read 3316 times)

Binbon2

Hysteroscopy and mirena coil - advice please
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »

I had an appointment with a gynae today and she suggested that as I am planning to use HRT long term then I should consider a Mirena coil together with Evorel conti patches. She wants to do a hysteroscopy before inserting the coil just to check the lining and to take a biopsy. Apparently this is routine to make sure there are no issues with cancer of the womb lining before inserting the coil.

I am a bit confused as the gynae said that the hysteroscopy and coil insertion is done with local anaesthetic in the outpatient clinic so I would be able to drive myself home. But she gave me an information leaflet that recommends that someone drives you or you get a taxi. Just wondering what people who have had a hysteroscopy think is the best option? Don't want to drive there and then find I can't drive home.

Also, just wondering if anyone has switched from Evorel sequi to Everol conti plus Mirena and how did you find it?

I mainly went to see the gynae as I have had disturbed sleep for a year, since hot flushes really kicked in. HRT has helped the flushes but not sorted the disturbed sleep. The gynae thinks that if the poor sleep was menopause related then HRT should have sorted the sleep issue. She has suggested exercise and yoga, so will give that a go.

peri

Re: Hysteroscopy and mirena coil - advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:15:46 PM »

Hi Binbon2

I had the mirena fitted and my husband came with me as advised to drive me home, but to be quite honest I could have driven myself.  I bled for a few days after but it was just like period pains.  It was nice to have him there though for the moral support.  I didn't have any anaesthetic, I did take 2 strong painkillers beforehand though and I'm glad I did as it takes the edge off.

I did have an hysteroscopy on another occasion previously and once again hubby drove and I needed him then. 

Re the mirena the very first thing I noticed was that for me it regulated my sleep, so hopefully this will be the same for you.

Finally, evorel conti will give the too much progesterone.  You will be getting progesterone from the mirena.  I use evorel 50 (oestrogen only) alongside my mirena and it's a combination which works well.  I wish you luck x

Binbon2

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:09 PM »

Thanks Peri - I confused myself with all the different Evorels. I did mean the Evorel 50 oestrogen only.

My husband is going to work from home so he can take me.

I hope the Mirena works with my sleep like it did for you.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »

You don't need a hysteroscopy before Mirena fitting unless you have had post menopausal or suspicious bleeding.
I was told that nonsense by a male gynae, I refused the offer and just had the Mirena fitted at my GP surgery.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:48:18 PM »

Hi Binbon2

Ditto as peri  re the hysteroscopy. This has come up several times recently. I was offered the procedure locally ( small town outpatients dept) under GA (which I didn't want) or city hospital without anaesthetic as peri - ie painkillers beforehand (2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol). I drove myself there and back and was not advised otherwise. The procedure was very short and over in about 15 mins. I had no bleeding. However I have never had a Mirena inserted so can't comment - except yes Evorel conti would have been too much prog!

If you don't have severe VA and haven't had problems with intercourse or having smears etc then it should not be painful if done by someone skilled (the hysteroscopy).

I hope it all works out OK for you :)

Hurdity x

Binbon2

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:43 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, Tinkerbell and Peri