Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anyone know about Ovarian Cysts?  (Read 2741 times)

jojo2675

Anyone know about Ovarian Cysts?
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »

Hi there...
I'm new to this board as wanted to see if I could get some answers as I'm a tad confused and frustrated too.
I had an ultrasound done 2 weeks ago and an internal one too which showed a 32mm functional ovarian cyst on my right ovary. All bloods are clear of cancer and nothing more serious.
I have suffered from lower pelvic pain, lower back ache and both are like a dull ache like pmt and other times slight stabbing. I had a UTI in March but now cleared so I'm told after antibiotics.

I use to be regular on my periods, since I was 17 started on the pill I am now 42.

I don't have children and never had issues monthly before. Docs said cyst should go as functional and only small. But having pmt pain for a week now and no signs of coming on are worrying me. This has been on and off for about 4 months and no periods .... :'(

I sometimes get constipation but no other problems with my bowels as regular and use to get bloated but changes in my diet helped as well as coming off sugar, gluten free now and no caffeine.

Any help? Would a functional cyst get bigger over time? I feel I have had this since March but every month the pmt like pains are longer. Just wish I could come on but would this be the start of the early menopause too?

Thank you so much
Xx

nearly50

Re: Anyone know about Ovarian Cysts?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Hi jojo2675, what did your doctor say? I think they normally go for watching waiting with functional cysts as they tend to go away themselves after a few months but don't know at what point they talk about removing the cyst.

I think a cyst can cause missed periods, again did your dcotor give any advice? I don't think it would have any effect on whether you go through the menopause early or not though.

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:35:50 AM »

Hi JoJo,

I wouldn't worry too much. It's more likely to go once you have a period. The usual protocol is to re scan 3 months.

These cysts are very common and usually surgery isn't required at this stage.

Take care Wxx

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:15:40 PM »

I would ask for a rescan and if it hasn't gone, ask for it to be removed and checked as even functional cysts can become malignant. They can affect cycles and if it is stopping your periods I'm not sure if you shouldn't be taking something to bring on a bleed to clean out womb as a thickened womb lining poses its own issues. Not sure what that would be in humans but we used to jab cows with hormones to make cysts dissolve!

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:30:54 PM »

I agree with what Coldethyl said. I had a functional cyst but it changed in nature over time - it didn't disappear and when I was rescanned it contained a solid portion which looked as if it may have been malignant.

Subsequently, I had both ovaries removed as a precaution although the cyst turned out to be benign but as I'd had troublesome cysts frequently over the years, my Gynaecologist was concerned that my risk may be rising.

CA 125 is not reliable for detecting ovarian cancer alone. Watchful waiting  with frequent scans is the best approach, and please do mention about the increased pelvic symptoms.

Try not to worry too much as ovarian cancer is still relatively rare, but do be sure to be monitored regularly. The majority of cysts are functional and do disappear on their own.

Hugs,

Tempest xxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:47:11 PM »

You could pose the question on the Ovacome web-site too ...... which is how I landed here  ::).

:welcomemm:

Make sure that your "UTI" wasn't the start of vaginal atrophy, for which there is treatment.  Do a search on here for 'my bladder etc.' and the other VA related topics.