Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Progesterone only for sleep??  (Read 5043 times)

Peroxideblader

Progesterone only for sleep??
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »

Help as some people will know I've regularly posted asking about delayed sleep onset disorder I've been like that for 4 years almost plus all the peri symptoms.  I have a useless patronising gp surgery but pushed and got femoston months ago. I am resolute now about trying it as my life is rubbish surviving off 3 or 4 hours sleep I'm falling apart..my question now is do i just try progesterone only as it's the sleep that's the issue and with my inability to get to sleep it seems that's usually lack of progesterone and excess oestrogen so if I take femoston I'm worried things will get even worse as surely I'll have too much oestrogen.  Has any one tried progesterone only with having periods still if so what format thank you ( my delay in hrt has been due to other major  health scares I'm currently having done and have to hold off hrt til I get results)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Progesterone only for sleep??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

Oh have a  :bighug:

Peroxideblader

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »

Thank you..that was a huge hug.....wow......lol.......most days I need a gun or to start drinking...😟

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »

For sleep I use phenergan.  Really is a wonder and safe pill x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 07:40:58 PM »

Hi Peroxideblader

I can't remember how old you are and what your periods are doing - whether you've missed any or if they are heavy or long? Is your insomnia due to night sweats, or palpitations perhaps? Also what type of Femoston have you been given? I presume Femoston 1/10?

It is not usual to take progesterone on its own once you have reached peri-menopause unless very heavy bleeding is experienced as it thins the lining.

If you were going to try it then progesterone itself would be the best option (Utrogestan) but I'm not sure a doc would prescribe it for this! It certainly makes me even more sleepy than I normally am (in the mornings especially) although it does give vivid dreams and as I use it vaginally it irritates my bladder a little so that I wake in the night to pee. Taken orally I think it has more of a sedative effect than vaginally. If you were going to take something to make you sleep on regular basis ie every day, then I am sure this would be more preferable than long term use of  sleeping pills or maybe even than anti-histamines - although I know very little about the latter (except that docs used to prescribe them for kids with sleep problems to use on an occasional basis).

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

Yes its been a god send for me, especially night before work so I can get a fair bit of sleep.  It's non addictive and helps with my allergies through the night too

To my knowledge anti histamines aren't harmful for non allergy sufferers

I don't use them every night. I pick my most sleep-needed nights (@3x week)

Peroxideblader

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »

Thanks for your replies. Re phenergan I've tried it at 2 tablet dose and although it made me drowsy it made my restless legs ten times worse same as all the other antihistamines sadly. And sleep aid the same.
As for the other question I'm 48 still have periods but last few have been days early this month I'm 6 days late they're not heavier than usual and yes femoston 1/10 as I've read on here it's the friendly progesterone. I do have prescribed sleeping tablets only enough for 1 sleep a week and even then it only gives me around 5 hours. I can't get to sleep every night til around 3 or 4 am and although I'm drenched with sweats and have an overactive bladder so get up 4 or 5 times in that 5 hours I do go back to sleep.  I've just paid privateky to have full thyroid blood tests again as my doctor says normal and having lymphoma biopsy so right now I can't start hrt just when I'd decided I have to try or this sleep deprivation will kill me. That's why I thought I might only need progesterone with having periods still

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »

Hi - I have been using Femoston for a while (now on the 2/10) and rarely like awake listening to dawn chorus these days (how my heart used to sink when they started up in the summer, and I hadn't had a wink of sleep - they used to really annoy me  >:(  )  Now I can even sleep through my insomniac husband bouncing round the bed and snoring. ;D  Hopefully it will work for you when you can try it.

I watched the Truth about Sleep on BBC 1 the other day with Michael Mosely (of the 3:2? diet fame) and it would appear that a high fibre prebiotic supplement is helpful with sleep!  This, of course, has the added benefit of curing constipation and lowering cholesterol, so I will have to try if I can ever track down what white powder it was........... ::) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q8p13

With the bladder issue - have you tried stoking up with water during the day?  This seems to help calm the bladder, and can even cut down the number of times you need to treck to the loo at night.  It is something I learned from a nurse at the Enuresis Clinic when one of my children was struggling.  It seems counterintuitive, as you naturally want to cut down on fluids to stop going to the loo all the time, but I found it worked when I had to drink plenty after a kidney stone.

Also, having a glass of water by the bed is helpful - it replaces some of the sweat, and helps your core body temperature to lower, which is needed if you are to go back to sleep.

I doubt any of these suggestions will be a cure, but maybe they will help you through until things improve.

Jenna

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

Hi dahliagirl - apparently the prebiotic supplement was Bimuno Powder - I hope it helps!

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »

Thanks so much - but it does not seem to be available anywhere; even from their own website  ::)  Oh well - will have to eat more chick peas  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

Jenna, you are like the oracle!! Thank you. x

I saw the programme too dahliagirl, very interesting. Just googled the product and it seems to be out of stock everywhere, probably because of the programme. Boots are usually a stockist. x

Peroxideblader

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Stella Jane what I wouldn't give to be able to sleep I have the tiredness and complete exhaustion but not the off switch.
Dahlia girl thanks for giving me hope as I said I can't go on it yet until these 2 big tests are back plus it's a good job I wasn't waiting as this month I'm a week late coming on still waiting last month a week early...but as soon as I can I'm going to give femoston a try. My useless doctors still say this insomnia isn't anything to do with peri in fact I'm not even in peri they say..well if that's the case shoot me now because I've got something really wrong if this isn't hormone related. As for my bladder I've had botox in it which worked for a month or so as I've got a faulty detrusor muscle that tells my brain I need a wee when I don't I go to the loo every 30 minutes all day got used to it now and I do drink more fluids like you said as urologist told me too it just me being me..I'm broken past repair I think

Jenna

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »

I watched the Truth about Sleep on BBC 1 the other day with Michael Mosely (of the 3:2? diet fame) and it would appear that a high fibre prebiotic supplement is helpful with sleep!  This, of course, has the added benefit of curing constipation and lowering cholesterol, so I will have to try if I can ever track down what white powder it was........... ::) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q8p13

The Bimuno powder used by Michael Mosley is now back in stock, girls, for anyone who wants to try it!

sweetie222

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »

StellaJane and Hurdity, how do you sleep when you are not taking Utrogestan? I guess the effects build up over time and so after a while you have enough progesterone in your system to sleep even on the weeks you don't take it?

Also what kind of symptoms do ladies have who don't tolerate Utrogestan?

Many thanks
Sweetie