Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Lasting Power of Attorney  (Read 4497 times)

babyjane

Lasting Power of Attorney
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:39:17 PM »

I have seen several references to this by some of you with elderly parents in care.

My husband wants us to do this for each other by the end of this year and I would appreciate any pointers, pitfalls, tips and advice.

Is it essential to use a solicitor, who charge quite a lot for doing it for you.  Or can it be done directly with the OPG?

katsclaws

Re: Lasting Power of Attorney
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »

You can do it yourself babyjane. There is a lot of online guidance to help with filling in the forms.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:51 PM »

We did it with our solicitor, who lives in our village, so we know her. She was good. My father went to a solicitor near where he lives and there was a lot of stupid mistakes and very expensive. I had to keep reading through it very carefully. They misspelled names, muddled up dates, even called my Mum Mr! Choose your solicitor carefully if you go that route. Ask around for recommendations.

Mbrown001

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »

If you do a bit of research then you can find a solicitor that will do it that is part of a charity. You make a donation to the charity rather than the full price.
I think Age UK can point you in the right direction. There has been quite a lot of positive publicity with this kind of thing recently.
If you google the Martin Lewis Money website and type in POA then some links should come up.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 10:12:46 PM »

What is it with Solicitors  :-\ - I haven't found ours particularly expensive but recently we made changes to paper work and it still isn't correct  :bang: probably because it was all done as e-mail rather than printed paper work - I wasn't on the ball, I ought to have printed out a copy and corrected it by hand then taken it in ........ but having read out the changes to him that I wanted but found out that none of them [5] had been altered on the top copy  :-X

We do all our paper work via the Solicitor .......... who was recommended and next time I will make sure that all paper work is printed, not via
e-mail ...........

dolphin63

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »

What is it with Solicitors  :-\ - I haven't found ours particularly expensive but recently we made changes to paper work and it still isn't correct  :bang: probably because it was all done as e-mail rather than printed paper work - I wasn't on the ball, I ought to have printed out a copy and corrected it by hand then taken it in ........ but having read out the changes to him that I wanted but found out that none of them [5] had been altered on the top copy  :-X

We do all our paper work via the Solicitor .......... who was recommended and next time I will make sure that all paper work is printed, not via
e-mail ...........

They can still manage to mess up, even when its printed  :(