Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie - HRT question - is the trial and error stage a nightmare?  (Read 1157 times)

FitDeb

Hi

Just joined today after GP suggest this site.

I'm 51 and quite active - had irregular periods for about 2 years now and other symptoms for about a year - In order or severity :  mood swings, brain fog, temperature control problems, urgently needing a wee problems and weight gain and food  cravings

To be honest they are all apparent but I don't feel they are ruling my life yet.

GP wasn't very helpful - gave very little info in HRT - told me to go away and research it and go back if I wanted to take that option.
I understand that it's unlikely to get the right dosage, medication first go and there is some trial and error involved, my question is:

What are your experiences of the trial and error phase ?
Is it that you simply notice no difference or can symptoms get worse or you get new symptoms ?

Thanks in advance
Deb

Dancinggirl

Hi FitDeb and welcome to MM
It isn't always a trial and error process. Many women are put on Elleste sequi low dose ( usually the one GPs prescribe as it's the cheapest) at the outset and are absolutely fine. Look at HRT options on this site.
Start on a low dose and only increase if flushes etc are not reduced within 3 months. The problem part of HRT tends to be progesterone so this why many women have to try different types to see which gives the fewest problems.
I would actually suggest you ask to try Femoston 1/10 as this has a kinder progesterone so is well tolerated.
I believe the golden rule is to ask for the HRT you would like to try. Stick with this for at least 3 months ( unless you feel truly awful) and see how things progress. Expect some side effects e.g. Headaches, tender breasts etc, at first - these things will often settle within 3-6 months. 
Don't look for problems - there's a good chance Femoston will suit and very quickly you'll be sleeping like a baby and have your life back. DG x