Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Going For ACTH Stimulation Test  (Read 6151 times)

Tempest

Going For ACTH Stimulation Test
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

Hi ladies.

I saw the Professor of Endocrinology  today and he is performing an ACTH Stimulation Test at 9am on Wednesday as he believes I may have a problem with my adrenal function. I have had this feeling myself for some time, and wondered whether my adrenals were damaged in some way due to my previous anaphylaxis  (I had one bi phasic anaphylaxis that was almost fatal and I've never felt right really since then). I received a call from his secretary to go to see him today after he received the letter from my old Gynaecologist expressing his concern over my decline when he saw me about a month ago. He was just back from leave so picked it up as soon as he got back into the office today.

I had my oopherectomy just over 2 years after this event and as you know things have been very rough - in particular I couldn't handle the stress of the ups and downs on HRT  at all so quit it altogether recently.

I'm pretty scared that my adrenals may be damaged - and I'm pretty scared about the test too as some of the side effects he discussed with me today are alarming such as erratic blood pressure and heart rate, rash and fainting (this kinda reminds me too much of anaphylaxis)!

The good news is that my thyroid function is fine.

I will be devastated if there is something wrong with my adrenal function as it complicates things even further. I'm glad the Prof. is being thorough though and ordering this test but pretty scared of the results to be honest. :'(

Hubby will be with me on Wednesday so that's good - I have to admit I struggled today getting to my appointment by myself though as I was very stressed and felt pretty sick and wobbly by the time I got there.

I guess this is just another bridge to cross though, and realise that others here are having to deal with so much more so sorry for having a bit of a pity party, but it helps to share.

I'll let you know how it goes if you like, but of course I won't get the results for a wee while.

Annie0710

Re: Going For ACTH Stimulation Test
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »

Wow Tempest

I hope everything goes well for you and I hope you get answers

My last anaphylaxis was my speediest onset with the most symptoms, by the time I got to hospital as well as struggling to breathe and bp dropping  my legs were uncontrollable, my legs had never happened like that before and they kept me in overnight, I tried to persuade them to let me go home like they've always done once I'm stable but they said I can't as I'm high risk of a 2nd anaphylaxis now

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

I had this test about 8 years ago which thankfully was normal.  The injection into the leg muscle isn't the most pleasant but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. The technicians and nurses keep a very very close eye on you and I seem to remember having my bp taken alot.  I didn't have any side effects at all and like you had been worried about all the possible side effects during the test.  They are perpared for any reaction and there will be a Dr around as well.

I hope your test is negative as mine was. Mine was tested when I was in peri menopause.

Please let us know how you get on x

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »

Just to wish you all the best for the test - these things are always worrying and hopefully it turns out to be fine xxx

cubagirl

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »

Hope it goes ok for you Tempest. Good your hubby will be with you!

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:35:43 AM »

Hope it goes well, Good luck

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »

Oh, Annie! The whole anaphylaxis thing is terrifying isn't it? :o

Thank you so much for your kind words ladies, and for sharing your experience of having this test Countrybumpkin. You've reassured me a lot!  :) xxxxx

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »

Hello Tempest.

Good luck for tomorrow.  I've often wondered if we meno sufferers should be seeing endocrinologists as well ( or even instead of ) gynecologists.

Wishing you well and I look forward to reading about your experiences.

K.

Lanzalover

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

Good luck for tomorrow Tempest hope everything goes well.

Lanzalover x

Milamam

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »

Hi Tempest
My 14 year old daughter underwent an ACTH stimulation test last year and it went no problem at all. She didn't experience any side effects. The test was all clear which does put your mind at test in term of the adrenals. Everything will be ok, you are in good hands and I hope you will be all relieved after the results.
The ACTH test is the only way to find out for sure the situation with the adrenals so it is great your doctor is referring you!

Fingers crossed!
Milamam xx

Jenna

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »

Good luck, Tempest - hope all will be well. xx

Claireylou

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »

Good luck Tempest xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 10:05:02 AM »

:foryou: let us know  how you got on!  The unknown is always scary!!

Milamam - what was suggested as to your daughter's problem ?

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 05:30:39 PM »

Do hope all went well with your procedure Tempest, and that all turns out to be OK - especially after you have been through so much.

Hurdity x

Milamam

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 07:22:42 AM »

Hi CLKD,
My daugther was investigated for congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) or late-onset CAH but the tests all came clear.
Mila
Pages: [1] 2