Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Absolutely petrified  (Read 1877 times)

Ellie309

Absolutely petrified
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »

So after my scan last week I had a message from my consultant to say that my lining was 36mm which still could be normal for me depending where I was in my cycle and was nothing to worry about.

My bloods were OK apart from ca125 which was 50 but had come down from 86 3 years ago when I had fibroids.

I have a history of endometriosis, I am 46.

I am having a hysterscopy and biopsy on Wednesday and feeling absolutely sick and so nervous.  She has offered to put in a mirena coil and I am just not sure what to do as heard good and bad reports.

Can anyone reassure me, surely if everything OK I should be OK the consultant didn't seem concerned and said she was 99% sure all will be OK.

Mary G

Re: Absolutely petrified
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »

Ellie309, I understand why you are terrified but definitely don't panic, this is all quite routine stuff.

You say your lining measurement was 36mm, are you sure?  To give you an example, I am on a high dose of oestrogen and my lining starts at 2mm immediately post bleed and goes up to almost 7mm when it sheds.

Regarding the Mirena coil, you might as well have one fitted because it could help and you certainly won't get any lining build up with it.  Do you know how well you tolerate progesterone?  If for any reason you don't get on with it, you can always have it removed.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about but please let us know how you get on with the coil fitting. 

Ellie309

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:17 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply just having a major wobble today.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »

Hi Ellie309

Try not to worry about your upcoming hysteroscopy and biopsy. Is it the procedure you are worried about or what you think they might find?

I had this procedure done a few years ago and I was in and out in 15 mins. I was asked to take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen an hour before the procedure and it was all OK. They suggested I didn't need a local anaesthetic - just the painkillers. It was carried out by a consultant at a city hospital (the local town hospitals would only do it under GA ands I've never had one of these so I declined - as it's only a very minor procedure).

That is a large measurement for endometrial thickness as Mary G says but if you are peri-menopausal and have had several anovulatory cycles as well as endometriosis then maybe this does occur? The most important thing is that if your consultant is not worried then you should not be! They are doing their job to refer you for this procedure to rule out a pathological reason for this thickness.

Re the Mirena coil - this is a very good way to keep a uterus lining thin if it has a tendency to over-thicken but I imagine they will check for fibroids, polyps and maybe adenomyosis (?) before fitting one?

Whereabouts are you in menopause ie how frequent are your periods?

Anyway all the best for the procedure for tomorrow and do let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x