Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Theresa May  (Read 2860 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Theresa May
« on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:41 AM »

........is going to the Country!  :o

dazned

Re: Theresa May
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:00:52 PM »

Great ,we will have them banging on about that now morning,noon and night !  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »

At least it will take the strain off worrying if there will be a nuclear war between North Korea and the US  ::)

breeze

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »

I was so hopeful when she was elected party leader.  I really did think she was the best of a bad lot and had enough experience as Home Secretary to do a good job as PM.  How wrong I was.  The NHS is falling apart, schools are cash starved.  She wants to bring back Grammars (we still have them in our area, terrible).  On top of that she keeps saying 'the countries coming together' about Brexit.  Oh Yeah ::).

What a mess. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 05:55:42 PM »

Nowt wrong with Grammar Schools!  Sorts out those that can and those that might: children will catch up and can move to Grammar at 13.

Monies have been put into the NHS but it won't even begin to fill the gap! because GPs who trained 30 years ago are now retiring. 

I don't think that any Government could get a handle on what is actually required to get this Country on it's feet again  :-\..

DC - the rat that left the sinking ship after Brexit result - should have called an immediate election!

Poppi

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »

Why not have a compromise about schools? Being a Scottish lass born and bred, I don't  know much about Grammar schools. I went to a state school but we were "streamed" so had end of year exams. The top 30 best marks went into 2A, the pupils 31-60 went into 2B and so on. I remember there being a 2M who were the slow learners and the lowest 20 of the year - they were perfectly happy and did not have any stigma about being in that class.

I have just retired from teaching after 36 years and while I enjoyed the job most of the time, most of my "wasted time" was spent on the lower ability pupils who knew they were not as academically bright, but had personalities which made them want to be noticed, hence their bad behaviour. I fear for my Grandchildren's generation and my advice to their parents would be to put them to private school (as day pupils) because private schools do not waste time trying out new initiatives all the time - they know the teaching structures which work best, and stick to them.

(off soapbox nw  ::) !)        Poppi x

Mbrown001

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:53 PM »

The 11 plus had been abolished not long before I went to secondary school. I started secondary in 1972. The difference for me was there was respect for the teachers and those that didn't have any learned very quickly as they has the tawse in Scotland. I do not approve of that kind of punishment and I'm pleased it is a thing of the past, but there were so few trouble makers when I was at school.....the threat of corporal punishment made the classroom a peaceful place.
We could have afforded to send one child into private education but not two. Our solution was to move to a town that had a secondary school that was amongst the top five in the country. Boy did it pay off. Hubby had far further to travel to work but we couldn't have asked for better.

No Grammer Schools in Scotland ...not sure our current Scottish Government know how to fix the education problem we currently have. I'm so glad my kids are past that stage now.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »

Not long to go now Girls  ;) ......... then it will be Brexit and maybe another Referendum in Scotland and it is rumoured, 'down here' too  ;D

I failed the 11+ and our Secondary School was streamed as had been our Primary Classes or pupils were removed for 'remedial' classes  ::)