Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Possible Fibroids  (Read 2080 times)

Ladybird 2

Possible Fibroids
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:08:00 PM »

1st time posting here but reading posts for 2 years now & learned so much from all of you :)
I am on evorel sequi patches. I am 53 now & started HRT at 50ish so nearly 3 years I have osteoporosis & HRT has helped. I have had very heavy periods for years but just before starting HRT they seemed lighter & more manageable felt like they could be slowing up. HRT has been great, felt better very quickly with my outlook. I was also getting monthly water infections which HRT helped with too, also palpitations which were scary so many good things with HRT.
Now periods are much worse lasting 8 days 4 horrendous dripping, flooding so I cannot go out which I am well used to & but just don't want to give up HRT:/
I think I have a fibroid which could be pressing on my bladder I rush to the loo every 30 - 40 minutes.  Since Christmas I have had sciatica & until this week it had got better until after 14 days I have had a period discharge while on the last days of Oestrogen patch. Had an MRI a few weeks ago for back disc problem & the consultant said womb looked bulky  :o I am quite petite he suggested I should have it checked but haven't seen Doctor yet.
I am thinking of coming off HRT to see where I am in my cycle, I am now due on 2nd Progesterone patch tomorrow how do I stops them do I cut them in half?
Fibroids feed on Oestrogen, is it possible for them to shrink without the source of Oestrogen?
I am about to have another treatment for Osteoporosis next week so at least I will be treated for this. I have an appointment with the nurse next week so planning to ask about another ultrasound which I did have 2 years ago just erratic lining found? they didn't seem to think a problem. My Mother had a fibroid size of a football - I read somewhere it is hereditary? which is there reason I have the concern about sciatica & bladder feels like dragging pressure in the area. I really will try to avoid surgery & have many times been offered Merina coil eek! but also have problems with the progesterone part of the regime they are tolerated to enjoy the so many benefits of Oestrogen :D
Dreading stopping - how can I make it a reasonable transition?

nearly50

Re: Possible Fibroids
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »

Hi Ladybird and welcome to the forum. I suppose you have to take things one thing at a time - get your ultrasound sorted and see what they say about your fibroids and take it from there.  I have several and have been told that they'll hopefully shrink after menopause. I wouldn't think about coming off HRT until you've got your ultrasound results and see what the doctor says.

Ladybird 2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »

Thank you Nearly 50 & sparkle,
Better to face this now  :-\
Hopefully ultrasound with healthcare plan but imagine after Easter now, one step at a time...
I have just used 3rd Progesterone Patch yesterday & started Period today not heavy at the moment.
Did you stop HRT Sparkle just using internally now?
Can they grow very big just using this method?
Many thanks again to you both :)

Ladybird 2

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:49:52 PM »

Looks hopeful at least  ;) fingers crossed xx

TJ64

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:09:23 PM »

Hiya,

I was diagnosed with a fibroid, turned out to be the size of a football, i found a very good forum like this one and got some great advice from the ladies there. I made the choice to have a hysterectomy rather than a myomectomy (think that was the name) where they scrape it out, 1. because it could possibly be malignant, 2. chances of them coming back are quite high.

My ovaries were fine so were left, and i was told i'd probably go into early menopause, i managed to avoid it a few years but now i'm back joining sites to find out the best way to go with my symptoms!

I love these sites, real people with real problems trying to help each other - better than GPs any day :)

Hope things work out for you  8)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:03:52 PM »

There is no evidence that vagifem or local oestrogen makes fibroids grow as the dose is so miniscule.  The warnings on the medication is the same as for full HRT. It doesn't even necessarily follow when you take HRT either. I am on medium dose oestrogen and have been for 10 years, as well as vaginal oestrogen - and the  last scan I had showed the firboid I had to be smaller than when last measured ( still under 1 cm) - so it had shrunk ( or at least stayed approx the same size despite being on HRT!

Hurdity x and :welcomemm: Ladybird 2