Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: over 60s bowel screening test  (Read 3577 times)

babyjane

over 60s bowel screening test
« on: April 07, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »

aka the 'poo' test.  I have never had to do anything as nasty as this. I don't like it at all but I realise it is for my own good.  I did not realise that 2 separate samples have to be taken once a day for three days.  In my ignorance I thought it would be just one specimen and that would be that.  I am surprised at how distasteful I am finding it, at my age it is not that I am a prude, it is just turning my stomach in a way I didn't anticipate.

How have others found this test?

countrybumpkin

Re: over 60s bowel screening test
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »

you only need to take two seperate samples from the one poo for each cardm not two seperate poos in case you were not sure ;)

Don't overload the square window you put the poo on either as it can make it hard for them to read results. Less is more so to speak! Spread it thinly over the square.

I have a friend who works in the path lab on bodily fluids and she reads these things :o :o

Cassie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »

It is not pleasant but necessary, a friend of mine had a positive test come back, had to have a colonscopy, where several pre cancerous polyps were removed, so she was most relieved to have had the opportunity to have the test. Could you not arrange a sigmoidoscopy if you are feeling squeamish  :-\

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »

:thankyou:

no I realise that it is from 2 sections of the same stool and not 2 separate stools.  without going into too much detail my stools are quite hard and do not spread so it is less like painting and more like working with clay!  :-X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »

I don't think that the technicians open the little windows, by the time it arrives in the Lab. any blood would have seeped through the sample.

No worse than picking up  :scottie: poo or cleaning  :catscratch: litter trays ;-).  I am always amazed at how my bodily fluids are warm  :o and what my poo looks like close to.

It is 3 days of yuk every 3/5 years .........

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »

I've been doing it since I was 50. Different up here in Scotland. Not nicest thing, but my gran died of bowel cancer, my brother was found to have pre-cancerous cells. So worth it in my book.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:17 PM »

yep, I know  ::)

CLKD it said on the leaflet that came with mine every 2 years?  ??? 

One more day, I was just surprised myself at my reaction to it.  I was not expecting to find it so horrible.  Maybe next time I will know what to expect and feel less negative about it.  :-\

PS I only have a small dog with small poos.  I know which I would rather do  ::)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »

Not the same test....but my 15 year old son has to do seven collections and one has to be delivered within the hour to the hospital. Both of us are not looking forward to it...he is dreadfully embarrassed!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »

I was never a mummy so didn't have the nappies scenario  ;D

Soooo embarrassing for a teen Tinkerbell ...........

Jinja

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »

I used to work in hospital labs one year in microbiology, so wee, poo and pus then 7 years in histology and cytology, so any body parts and cervical smears, fine with all of that but the one things that turns my stomach is spit! Just the thought makes me heave 😷😨

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:04:36 PM »

We call that 'gobbing' i.e. pro-cyclists, footballers etc.? and I agree .......  :sick02:

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »

my reaction has taken me aback and I have been thinking about it and I think there is something else going on here.  For the same reason I have a degree of emitophobia due to being spanked for being sick in my parents bed, I think this aversion to my poo could be to do with being spanked for soiling my pants and also for touching it with my hands, being called 'dirty' and 'horrible'.  I was only a little child  :(  I have never had to face my poo before, just went to the toilet, put the lid down, flushed and didn't think about it. Interesting  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »

At least you will know when the next sample packet arrives BJ .......... I think that we don't talk about nor look at pooh enough!  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »

It's the first thing I checked every morning when walking the  :scottie: - it was a sign of how healthy she was and I was aware of a variation through the day depending on what she was eating as well as when we were on holiday when she passed less due to more vigorous exercise.

coldethyl

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »

Poo doesn't bother me. Just as well as I now have the bag( though it's not really like poo) - it's vomit I'm not keen on, esoecially warm.

When I was trying to get pregnant, one of the tests involved having sex then being examined and aspirated within thirty minutes. No wonder I don't fuss about bodily functions much. I was glad for once that the doctor was Chinese and barely spoke English as I wasn't expected to engage in one of those awkward " let's pretend this is all perfectly normal " conversations.
Pages: [1] 2