Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Any suggestions for an energy boost?  (Read 1342 times)

Loonytunes

Any suggestions for an energy boost?
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:56:47 PM »

Hi, I am struggling with chronic exhaustion (amongst a plethora of other symptoms).  I have been signed off work by my GP but will have to go back shortly and this fills me with dread.  I work full time, am the sole carer for my elderly mum and have my own home so am pulled in several directions.  Does anyone have any suggestions for things to give an energy boost - I am overhauling my diet considerably and am snacking on fruit, nuts etc but am open to any other recommendations.

dahliagirl

Re: Any suggestions for an energy boost?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »

Personally, I take vitD (+magnesium and K2 to help absorption) and get out in the sun (available from now until the end of September  ;D ) as I have been very low in Vit D and have found it made a difference to me.

I have been told to try oranges - one or two in the evening.  No idea if it helps but worth a go  :)  I am going to try tonight.  I meant to try last night but I forgot  ;D

I also find that low GI (see diabetes websites) is helpful - lots of carbs together, like pastry and cake and mashed potato make me sleepy. Have a look at the Michael Mosely website about the blood sugar diet, and follow the Mediterranean diet pages (not the fasting ones). https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

Loonytunes

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »

Thanks for that, plenty of good suggestions.  I'll give the magnesium a go as a friend also mentioned that and will take a look at the website you mentioned.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »

Get plenty of  :sunny:, exercise when you feel like it, rest when necessary.  Eat little and often to keep blood sugar levels even.  Lots of fresh fruit and veg. if you have the energy to prepare, otherwise open a tin or frozen packet of veg. .......  keep hydrated as when the body is 'dry' can cause headaches and/or tiredness.

Remember - housework = exercise  ;)