Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Bleeding won't stop!  (Read 2547 times)

loualexa

Bleeding won't stop!
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:56:53 PM »

Hi
I have been having menopause symptoms for quite a while.  I started off on a type of HRT (that I can't remember the name of) that was part Oestrogen (21 days) and part Progesterone (7 days).  After a while though I noticed that I was getting unmanageable PMT.  I came off HRT for about 6 months but was having a horrible time.  I then was prescribed Femeston which made me feel a lot better.  Unfortunately though after about 6 months I started to have break through bleeding and then seemed to be bleeding for most of the time.  Last month my doctor switched me again to Kliovance.  I had a few days off from bleeding and then have had about another 15 days of bleeding again (although it does finally seem to be slowing).

The problem for me is that I don't really understand the difference between the different kinds of HRT and when they should be taken.  My periods had not stopped when I started HRT but now I seem to be bleeding all the time! I have had a scan and everything seems to be OK.
Can anyone clarify things for me, or give me advice?  A lot of my friends seem to be using patches.  Is this a better way of taking HRT?
Many thanks
Lou :-\

dazned

Re: Bleeding won't stop!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 09:07:50 PM »

:welcomemm:

Have you thought of having the mirena coil fitted for the progesterone part them just adding the estrogen either patches,gel or tablet which ever you prefer. This should sort out your bleeding problems if everything has already been checked out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:36:22 AM by dazned »

loualexa

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:43:27 PM »

I have to say I don't like the thought of a coil but worth looking into with my doctor - thanks!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »

Hi loualexa - sorry that you are having a difficult time of it. Kliovance is for women who have gone at least a year without periods. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/3001 If you were still having periods when you started HRT then this doesn't seem to be the appropriate HRT for you? There is lots of info about the different types of HRT in the green menu at the top of the page. If you are still having periods then you need what's called a sequential (sequi) HRT whereby you are given oestrogen only for the first two weeks of the month and then for the second two weeks progesterone is added in and when you start the next pack you are back on the oestrogen only HRT and it is the withdrawal of the progesterone containing pills or patches which usually starts a monthly bleed. It sounds as if this was the type of HRT you were on before?

As regards PMT different types of progesterone are used in different types of HRT and some contain Norethisterone which can be notorious for giving PMT type symptoms. Again, have a look at the green menu at the top of the screen under "treatments" to find out a bit more on HRT.

You will find lots of support on here. I was put onto Kliovance when I was post menopausal but still had continuous bleeding for six months so it's no wonder you are experiencing this as you were still having natural periods before you started it!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

loualexa

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:20 PM »

Thanks! that's so useful! xx