Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Disappointed after TAH  (Read 1280 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Disappointed after TAH
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »

For some reason I thought I'd be swinging from the rooftops after my TAH, kept ovaries.

However I think I'm probably feeling worse - Oestrogen levels 91 - pmol so it looks like my ovaries have packed up.

I saw my GP this week who agreed to increase my patch to 75 mg but refused my request for testosterone. His words were "it would masculinise me". I know there's a lot on here who would disagree! At that point I decided my assistance with my peri would be limited from my GP.

I'm feeling very flat, low and seem to spend hours in my head ruminating over this damn menopause. So it's a double whammy as I'm not in my life.

I know I have to stick with the oestrogen and increase and I'll get better .....but it feels like I'm starting all over again.

Can anyone offer a virtual hug and tell me I'll be okay soon. Just need reassurance please xxx

Annie0710

Re: Disappointed after TAH
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »

How long ago was your surgery ?

Your gp is wrong (as you probably know already) although your oestrogen levels really need to come up before introducing Testosterone

I had TAH age 32 and within 6 months my ovaries played up giving me lots of meno symptoms but testosterone effects seemed to be sufficient for about 13 years x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

Sending you a big hug  :)

Your GP is talking absolutely nonsense about testosterone. I have used it every day since last June, and I don't have hairy knuckles yet! Actually, I haven't noticed any physical difference whatsoever, and I get through a tube every week.

Oestrogen of only 90 p/mol is very low, especially considering your age. No wonder you feel so flat. 

I am so tired and angry at GPs who just make sweeping statements about drugs/treatments that they actually know little about. If I were a GP, and heard that some of the top consultant gynaecologists in the country regularly prescribed testosterone for menopausal women I'd think 'Hmmmm, well there must be some benefit in it, surely?'

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »

Thanks for your replies ladies.

It annoys me that they won't prescribe it, I would pay for it myself rather than it being an NHS prescription but he sort of sneered at me saying I didn't need it.

What I forgot to say is that my reading of 90 pmol was with a 4/5 ths of a 50 mg patch on.

My operation was 10 weeks ago so I know it's early days still.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:10 AM »

It will be different for you too as you were peri/post I can't remember
I was totally fertile/ovulating regularly with no symptoms whatsoever meno-wise when I had my TAH so to experience the meno symptoms was totally out of the blue and no warning from Drs

I think you will need to see a gynae to eventually get testosterone, my nhs gynae prescribed it through email to my gp, but she was listening to me, unlike yours

Concentrate on your E levels first though, otherwise once you're post meno try Tibolone x

donnacrichton

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »

We are in a similar position. My ovaries have been shut down with medication and with a 50 mcg patch I've got less than 20. Have felt awful for months. I increased to 75mg for 2 weeks and have gone up to a 100mcg patch today. To say I'm nervous is an understatement .  I can understand everything you feel (hugs).

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 08:28:44 AM »

Hi Donna
Hope you are doing okay, would be really interested to see how you get on.
I'm currently on 50mg then raising to 75mg in a few weeks. My GP has said he will check my levels again in a month. However after that I get the impression, that's it.
Did your GP refer you to a gynaecologist? As I think that's what I might have to do.

How did you feel on 75mg? I'm flushing away in the mornings and evenings, but not in the afternoon. I'm on a AD so think that might be why.

donnacrichton

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »

Initially on75 felt ok but then flushes got much worse. I am already under a consultant.  I am on holiday for 2 weeks from work which is why I've upped the dose to 100mcg. That gives me a few weeks not to worry about being off. The strange thing is I really was convinced my levels were too high. I hope I will get bloods done too just incase I'm not absorbing the patch. Good luck x