Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hrt and vitamin D / calcium  (Read 2767 times)

Jobo1

Hrt and vitamin D / calcium
« on: March 28, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »

I've tried having a little search with key words but couldn't find an answer, I've began hrt last Friday which is already working amazingly with flushes! I also got some vitamin d / calcium tablets to take, but my mum has just asked should I be doing this if the hrt is to help prevent osteoporosis issues? I'm 37, so after reading up on it just assumed the more the better kind of thing? Should've asked gp if I'd thought too, not back there for 3 weeks too, I've also started some new exercise classes that state they're good for bones x

Jobo1

Re: Hrt and vitamin D / calcium
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »

Oooh thankyou, I will do, never even crossed my mind that it was something that could be tested to check! I'll stop taking the ones I bought for now until my next gp app. X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »

I take Osteocare - it's really  good. It's always best to get most of your calcium from food so having a small amount of hard cheese plus yogurt and some milk each day is good. You need vitamin d and magnesium to absorb the calcium so if you don't get at least 20 minutes of sunshine every day then taking vitamin d - particularly in winter - is a good idea.
Brisk walking is still one of the best forms of exercise for the bones.
I believe it will do more good than harm to take something like osteocare each day. DG x

Jobo1

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »

Thankyou all, I'll ask about osteocare too, hadn't heard of these, luckily my diet has improved lately too as I joined slimming world, so will get myself better educated as to what foods I can eat more if for calcium and vitamin d, go for a daily decent walk so hopefully once spring is here, that will happen in the sunshine too!  ;) thanks again x

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »

It's worth getting a test to check your levels of vitamin D, it may be good but they do say everybody in the uk is likely deficient due to our rubbish weather.
You can keep your D levels up by eating salmon at least twice a week, try too to get calcium with food, it's much better that way than man made calcium.
You also need vitamin K2 to help push the calcium and vitamin D into the bones.

Jobo1

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »

Brilliant! I love salmon and def have it at least once a week as it's free on slimming world! A good reason to have it twice now. Def going to ask docs to test my vit d, is it a blood test? Im booked in end of April for a repeat of bloods too as something came up borderline on last test when they confirmed the menopause shock, so could ask about the vit d then? X