Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Insomnia (not related to night sweats) - can HRT help and if so, which one?  (Read 2551 times)

Smile57

Hi all

I'm new to this site but sadly not to the menopause. I've been suffering from a variety of symptoms for the past 10 years but to date have avoided HRT as I'm adopted and have no parental genetic history.

My sleep patterns have never been wonderful but it has now got to the stage where I'm over the moon if I get four hours sleep!  The majority of the time is between 2-4.  Sometimes this will be as I need to continually go to the loo (no matter what time I stop taking on board any liquids) or because I wake up after 1 or 2 hours and stay that way until dawn. Other times I am so overtired that I'm exhausted when I go to bed but then can't get to sleep! I end up having to resort to Nytol (thank goodness for the half strength version) which will hopefully work (but not always). I have tried all the normal relaxation, meditation and mindfulness routes, etc.

Since the menopause seems to be responsible for the drastic deterioration in my sleep pattern I was wondering if anyone had found that a specific HRT treatment had helped them with this area?

I don't have heavy sweats (and when they do come on they are in the early evening) so I know that I am not being woken up due to temperature changes.

This is leaving me so exhausted that I would really appreciate any advice on what to try and get a good night's sleep (preferably without continually reverting to sleeping tablets).

Thanks to all!!

samweller161

Hiya Smile

Am no expert but I think the majority of HRT treatments should be able to help.  I started taking it when the night sweats were getting out of control and it helped a lot (I take Elleste Duet).  I think Femoston seems to be a gentler option in general and a lot of the ladies here are very enthusiastic about it.  However I think as we get older maybe we need less sleep - do you work full time still?  I work and need 8-9 hours a night whereas husband is retired and can manage on between 5-6 hours.  You don't say how old you are (unless mentioned in another thread) but you could try a low dose from your doc and see if that helps?  Although it will need to be given about 3 months to trial properly.

Am sure somebody else more knowledgable will be along shortly!

Good luck
SP x

elsie001

Hi Smile & welcome to the forum!

Insomnia has definitely been my worst meno symptom &, like you, I've yet to experience night sweats.

I got the mirena coil fitted 18 months ago and it has definitely helped with my insomnia (which hasn't gone completely soooo much better!).  I can only assume that my body needed the extra progesterone that the coil pumps out. My very heavy periods (which can't have helped my insomnia) haven't gone completely but since getting the coil fitted they are much lighter.

Prior to the coil, I'd go nights with no sleep at all and it was horrendous, and coupled with really heavy periods, meant very poor quality of life and major stress at work.  It's been a life-saver for me.  I do still keep a small supply of Zopiclone in my bedside cabinet but haven't resorted to taking any for at leasts 2 months now.

Lots of options out there and I'm sure others will reply soon.

Hurdity

Hi Smile57

:welcomemm: from me too.

I agree it depends how old you are and where in menopause - you mention you've had symptoms for the past 10 years but I was wondering what your cycle is doing - have you reached menopause. Has it been 12 months since last period etc? I'm thinking you're either 57 now or born in 1957!

I found I got flushes in the day, before I got night sweats - which began as a general feeling of overheating and then tossing and turning and generally not sleeping well from the early hours onwards. I said goodbye to all this when I started taking HRT.  I agree with Smirking Pixie that many types can help. I used transdermal ( patch) HRT along with a separate (natural = body-identical) progesterone - all on the NHS. Perhaps you could ask to be referred to a menopause clinic and specifically a consultant ( not a nurse) about this - given your circumstances.

I agree, you shouldn't be taking sleeping tablets on a regular basis.

Also do you get plenty of physical exercise - this can help with sleep - and also presumably you have tried all the steps recommended before you go to bed to maximise the possibility of nodding off when the time comes?

Some women do have enormous problems with insomnia which is different from the usual not getting to sleep - Dana is one and maybe she will be along to give her view?

Hurdity x

Dana

Yes, by far my worst symptom was insomnia. I would have cheerfully put up with the hot flushes if I could have just gotten to sleep. It wasn't even a case of only getting a few hours sleep which people often complain about. I would have been happy even with that amount, but I got no sleep at all unless I took a tablet.

My problem was compounded by a dependency to sleeping tablets (diazepam) which severely impacted my life for about 4-5 years which included the time taken to not only wean off them, but also 2 years for my GABA receptors to heal. So you definitely do not want to fall into the habit of taking them. They are the devil's spawn as far as I'm concerned.

HRT definitely helped me. I've been on a few different ones over the years and to be honest I don't think it really matters which one you take because they all help with insomnia. They provide the estrogen which is what you need.

As with all of us, the type you take will have to be trial and error because everyone has different experiences and requirements.  I personally use estradot patches and I take a separate progesterone (Provera) every second month.

Smile57

Thanks for your responses all!  Some very useful advice.

I'm 57 this year, so ummm, bravo with the username spot   :D

My hormone levels, that show how far into the menopause I am, are mid-40s, so am well  into it.  However, I haven't had a bleed for years now, but since I was 14 I only had 1 a year (so went on the pill in order to regulate and know when they would happen), but my gynie said my ovaries were producing normally so never understood why!  I am still getting PMT each month, although luckily nowhere near as bad as when I was in my 40s.

Do need to work and am getting myself ready for new employment, hence need to be alert and sparky, rather than a sad, lacklustre version of it, which is too often the case.

Do yoga and exercise at home, as well as the gardening and cleaning.  No TV in the bedroom, only read a book before bedtime.  Don't usually find going to sleep a problem (unless utterly strung-out), it's the going back to sleep after having woken a few hours later - that is when no amount of relaxation or reading seems to work (used to).

Well done Dana for remaining strong and overcoming the sleeping tablets dependency, it sounded like you went through hell.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and will definitely be back to my GP with your suggestions!

elsie001

I'm not sure about the oestrogen? I got some from my GP when I got my mirena fitted, but found that when I used it, the insomnia returned.  Perhaps it's because I'm still in the peri phase and my body is still producing the normal amount of oestrogen (and that's maybe why I'm not suffering with hot flushes...yet!). I still get periods.

It's a shame as I definitely felt better during the day on the oestrogel but felt too wired to sleep at night.