Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crappy Hair? read this..  (Read 10974 times)

abbyH

Crappy Hair? read this..
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »

HI everyone. I wanted to share my hair story and now improvements, in the hope it will help someone else.

So, I always had a ton of hair lovely glossy shiny etc until about age 47 ish.. then it started falling out, and thinning and by about 2014 (aged 50) I think I'd lost about 80% of it.. I had low ferritin stores and thyroid issues as well as being peri.. I wasn't treated or taken seriously when I raised my hair issues, of course!  I have Hashimoto's so the auto-immune thing was probably in there too..

So, I carried on losing hair and feeling wretched. My thyroid meds did help I think but then I had total Vaginal Hystertecomy and Ovary removal last year due to heavy periods (fibroids and Ademyosis)

my hair at that point had been 'ok' but about a month after in July it started going bad again, and by Sept/Oct of last year was really in bad condition, falling out, thin, brittle really crappy!

So.. I embarked on the following and I have seen real improvements (March 2017) new hair growth and a feeling that my once abundant locks are springing back. Here's what I did.

1. I have taken Oestrogen. yes, in varying quantities patches and gels and with some off time, as you can find out if you read my posts but Oestrogen does make hair grow.
2. High strength EPO. 3 tabs of 1000 strength a day
3. Biotin. Good quality high strength gel, once a day.
4. Protein. Lots of it.
5. Adequate Thyroid medication I think this has been key.

So, from about January this year I've noticed new growth (both on the scalp) and longer bits.. Although the ends are very fine, the hair near the head is quite thick, so I plan to trim the ends regularly and get it all to grow together (its currently shoulder length)

I've had a few great lengths extensions put in (1 pack of 25 split into finer extensions and scattered through the mid part of my head) and these have made a really nice improvement to the volume..

Hope this gives you all hope, I thought I would have to wear a wig and indeed bought one, but glad I've stuck it out and I can really see the difference in the quality of my hair and condition.. hopefully it will not go through a shedding cycle again I think I can identify also that having a trauma (such as a major op) can trigger a TE episode, as can a death (I lost my mother the first time it started) then, other things might have nudged it into over drive such as HORMONES! and Thyroid..

Good luck everyone struggling with dodgy hair at this time. You can try expensive things like Vivescal or Nourkrin but I think the EPO, Biotin (and probably Zinc and Magnesium) would help too

Abby xx

Annie0710

Re: Crappy Hair? read this..
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »

Am I being stupid that I can't think what EPO is ?

My ends are sad and thin.  But the scalp seems to be filled in slightly but not good enough all over to not need clip ins

Mine can't be oestrogen deficiency as I've been on it constantly x

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »

Evening primrose oil 😊

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »

Thankyou Maryjane x

abbyH

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »

Yes, mine probably has, but who knows?? the Evening Prim needs to be taken fairly consistently over time with high levels..
I've just added flax oil to the mix as well..

Fingers x'd it will stay on my head now!

:o
Abby x

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:16:11 AM »

Hi abby, did you take iron supplements too? I shed so much more hair than normal when my ferritin was low but it has been a lot better since my levels got closer to 50. Though I suppose that could be a coincidence, always so hard to know!

abbyH

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »

I haven't needed to take iron this time, have in the past, ferritin should be 70 and above for hair growth and maintain ace, think mine is finally there but very low when I was menstruating

Abby x

nearly50

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »

I haven't needed to take iron this time, have in the past, ferritin should be 70 and above for hair growth and maintain ace, think mine is finally there but very low when I was menstruating

Abby x

70 is what I'm aiming for but I think it will need to wait for menopause to hit!

abbyH

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »

:'(
Update. My hair has deteriorated significantly.
Since I started taking Testosterone in April, I can only think that this is having an effect. I have a lot of loss around the hairline and my scalp is showing through at the parting, which has gone really wide. I dont seem to be losing hair as in its falling out, but I guess it's thinning

I'm really depressed as now I really do look balding and its so affecting me

The HRT seemed to be working and I felt really good, but having no hair and feeling better, is that the trade off I have to make?????
anyone else in a similar position? I thought Testosterone was meant to encourage scalp hair to grow

I''m feeling tempted to again, stop the hrt and see what happens...

abby xxx

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

Thanks for sharing, this clearly matters to you  a lot.  I went through a stage when I was obsessed with my hair to the point of vanity but I have got things more in perspective now.  My health is more important than how my thinning older hair looks.  So I had a really good short style cut (think Judi Dench - ish) It has made such a difference to the condition and the look as the natural wave gives the impression of volume.  When it was longer the weight just dragged it all down and it looked very flat and uninteresting.  :)

abbyH

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:35:37 AM »

its not vanity, I guess more being upset about the way it's changed, and it affects self esteem..

I am thinking of going shorter, not quite as short as JD, but yes, perhaps that will help it in the long term

thanks....

Abby xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:44:50 AM »

My grandma had thyroid problems and thin hair.  She used to wash it and put it in rollers and avoid setting lotions etc - then used to have a gentle perm when things were going well. I think this was to keep the top well covered as she also had a bald patch from having a birth mark removed as a child.  (she had the usual granny hairdo of the times  ;) )

She was very careful with it and made sure that it was neat.  She also used to massage olive oil in once a week, gently massaging her scalp with it and then cover it overnight and wash it in the morning.  I've no idea if this actually worked, but she reckoned it was the best thing she had tried and kept it up for a good 20/30 years, until the dementia got her.  It does make sense to make the best of the hair you have.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »

She also used to massage olive oil in once a week, gently massaging her scalp with it and then cover it overnight and wash it in the morning.  I've no idea if this actually worked, but she reckoned it was the best thing she had tried and kept it up for a good 20/30 years, until the dementia got her.  It does make sense to make the best of the hair you have.

Could well be.  I use Pure organic Argan oil as a conditioner.  I find it is better than any commercial conditioner, and no chemicals or additives  :)

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 06:29:28 AM »

Hi Abby

Testosterone I think can work either way, if you lose hair because your T is low, then it'll help, if you add T and it converts to DHT you're stuffed

I've tried loads of things, admittedly not for long periods, that's just the laziness in me.  Extensions add stress to weak hair so that could be some of the problem. 

My ends are awful, weak, straggly and dry but the scalp seems more filled in and as you know I wear clip ins but they cause loss where they clip, but I'm not stressing so much about it now as I can cover it.  I keep thinking about cutting my length, I feel like I'm holding on to the length as a reminder of my healthier days, but I'm not a short hair person, looks lovely on others but not for me, I keep toying with the image of like a shaggy bob, can't think who to compare but I'm sure Meg Ryan had the style a few years back

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

I agree - I don't fully understand the effect of testosterone on hair and in difference parts of the body ( eg more hair on face but less on head in some women). T has restored hair growth in er - private areas for me. I can't comment on head hair as mine has always been thick but still falls out in the hairbrush. I need to do some more research on this!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2