Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Long term use of HRT  (Read 1338 times)

Amypops

Long term use of HRT
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »

I was prescribed hrt from the age of 38 due to various problems including infertility, caused by very early menopause (my periods were irregular from my teens then stopped all together) my consultant at the time said I would have to take hrt for life in order to protect my bones and general well being, at that time it was also detected that my spine was thinning.  I had been taking Prempac C 0.625 and continued with this up until 18 months ago when my doctor questioned whether I should still be taking it at my age and was very reluctant to prescribe.  I have recently seen a gynaecologist as I had an unexplained bleed recently but investigation showed it was due to the vaginal lining being week (atrophy).  She was very understanding and did say that I could go back on hrt but also prescribed vagifem to help with painful intercourse while I considered my options.  Throughout the time I was taking hrt I felt well and did not experience the painful joints, low libido and lack of energy that I have now.  I am now feeling very confused as to what I should do.  My question is whether I should go back onto hrt at the age of 65 having stopped for some 18 months.  Has anyone had a similar experience?   

Hurdity

Re: Long term use of HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:38:07 PM »

Hi Amypops

:welcomemm:

Yes it does sound like your symptoms are due to coming off HRT having been on it for so long. Re the bleeding did you also have an ultrasound scan of the endometrium ( womb lining)? I presume so and all was OK on that score?

I am still taking HRT in my 60's but only started in mid 50's (nearly 54) and only once stopped for 3 months a few years ago.

I would go with your consultant/gynaecologist on this one.  If s/he says it's OK to re-start then why not do so - I presume you have not been off it for long enough for any cardio-vascular changes to occur - and it is these which are normally a barrier to taking/starting HRT many years after menopause or in your 60's for the first time. Well - according to the research usually quoted anyway.

However at your age it would be a good time to start with a different brand - since the Prempak is the old fashioned type ( horse oestrogens and synthetic progestogens) and was the type of HRT associated with the Women's Health Initiative Study all those years ago which led to the headlines re HRT being unsafe.

Gosh did you have a bleed all that time until 63 and they never suggested continuous combined HRT? If you are happy with a monthly bleed then why not ask to try a patch eg Femseven sequi - or try oestrogen only ( patch or gel) with separate progesterone. The synthetic one is Provera or there is bio-identical progesterone in capsule form - Utrogestan. They are all listed under the top tabs - treatments/HRT preps.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x