Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Waking up early morning with stiffness in sides/back area  (Read 2641 times)

RachH

Waking up early morning with stiffness in sides/back area
« on: March 28, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »

Does anybody else have this problem? I wouldn't call it pain exactly and it's not in my joints, but I wake up most mornings around 4-5am feeling stiff and achey around my back and around my sides - sometimes a little around my chest. I gingerly move around/stretch in bed and normally go back to sleep and then when I get up, I'm stiff still, but within minutes, it's gone. I've only had this the last year or so . I've had blood tests, but they've not shown anything. Just wondering if anybody else gets this early morning stiffness? I'm in the peri menopause stage, I've changed my mattress and I exercise regularly. Some other suggestions would be great - thank you.

Megamind

Re: Waking up early morning with stiffness in sides/back area
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »

Hi RachH  :welcomemm:
I'm also in peri menopause and I first went to the dr's with aching joints/muscles. A few years later it was getting a bit worse and found out I was low in Vit D which causes joint aches. Were you tested for Vit D? Taking Vit D supplements did improve things but I've stopped taking them now and am at present suffering with a bad back and hip pain. I roll over in the night and the pain wakes me but like you, I go back  to sleep but am often stiff throughout the day. if I sit for too long I get an ache (like you say, I wouldn't call it pain exactly, it's more an aching) in my lower back or hip so have to get up and move about to try to relieve it.
I think it's a common menopausal symptom.
I did see a pyshio who told me I have poor posture and it's causing my muscles to tighten and irritating the nerve. He told me to do some exercises and to move about more.

RachH

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »

I was tested for Vit D - it's about 50 which is ok, although doctor did advise to top up a bit more with supplements. Doctor also said to make sure I keep moving. I work at a PC, so it's easy to forget to move. I'm hoping if I do all those things, it will go away. I don't have aching in any joints, just around the back and side area at night. It's really annoying. Thanks for your advice - it's what the doctor is saying too so I'll keep at it.....

Megamind

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

I also work at a pc. I think its part and parcel of the job. I have terrible posture at my desk so i don't help myself!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:25:31 PM »

Yep.  I was waking in the early hours with DEEP intense pain in both thighs, enough to make me shriek silently: good job as we were in a B&B the first time.  It took 18 months to realise that it was caused by my hobby of antique hunting  ::): that is bending over glass cabinets!!! Now I have to be more careful with my over-all posture.

You are allowed 20 min.s away from your screen every 2 hours: this is a Legal requirement.  Go for a walk!!!!  How is your mattress, how do you sit when watching TV int he evenings, does a warm bath help? 

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »

Hi Rach, welcome to the forum.

I get this now and again. It feels like my insides are 'stiff' and sort of locked if that makes sense? It's under both ribs area and all around my back and top of kidneys. It's worse I feel I lie on my tummy, I've a job to move and have to ease myself onto my back and yes, it lasts till I get up properly. I had my gallbladder out about 7 years ago and that helped but now I am sure it is diet related as it's started again recently and I've been eating far too many carbs and heavy meals and sweet stuff. Not saying you have gallbladder trouble but it might be worth looking at your diet. x