Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panic attacks  (Read 4934 times)

Starla76

Panic attacks
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

Hi there,

I'm not sure how to describe what I'm feeling other than I feel like I'm losing my mind. If I'm not filled with rage, I'm wanting to cry but now I have the added bonus of anxiety and panic.

I have all the "usual" perimenopause symptoms - palpitations, periods heavier, hot flushes, mood swings - it's like I can almost feel my levels drop if that makes sense.

But I am also suffering with nerves, shortness of breath and dizziness/vertigo. This in turn is giving me extreme health anxiety. Today my legs felt like jelly, I felt off balance and went shaky. I also get a stomach upset every period. I had to come home from work with this and still feel stressed.

My question is does anyone have anxiety/panic like this and if you do, how do you cope? I don't really want HRT because I've heard it just delays things...

Please help!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:07:43 PM »

Oh yes, it's one of the running threads through the Forum, along with Vaginal Atrophy.

Have a browse round. Make notes.  How old are you?  When was your last period, have they gone apparently hay-wire ?  Mine came and went for a few years then disappeared  ::).  B4 each period during my menstruating years I had 'the runs' 10 mins prior to each bleed, even when a period wasn't due.  No chance of travelling at 'that time of month'  >:(.

Don't dismiss HRT.  It can be a Life saver.  Also although The Change is 'natural' symptoms can totally unbalance the best of us!  Better to read up on HRT so that you are informed: in case.  Keeping hydrated, eating well, gentle regular exercise, 'me time' are important.  As is working on a good relationship with your GP, hopefully one informed enough to give good advice and not fob you off!

HRT can protect heart and bones.  It can prevent osteoporosis.  Panic attacks can be eased by HRT, yoga, walking, medication ......

:welcomemm:   Ask away! 

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »

Yes I sound just like you , plus I have the Vaginal atrophy, so some days I do feel like I am loosing my mind.

Fresh air/ walking is key for me.

I have the vertigo also.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »

Vertigo is the pits ....... I do have a nerve in the back of my neck I think which sometimes makes me go 'oh' when I move, not dizziness exactly but sort of woozy for an instant.  I had vertigo years ago for which my GP gave me anti-sickness tablets, I knew when I opened my eyes in the morning that it was 'there' ........ I couldn't dare move!

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

I have seems on some medical programmes where vertigo can be relieved by a procedure where the patient lies on their side. Think it is called Epley manoevre?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »

Yep.  That's for sufferers of Meniere's disease usually and not to be undertaken lightly!  I believe that some Members have needed it.

Megamind

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »

But I am also suffering with nerves, shortness of breath and dizziness/vertigo. This in turn is giving me extreme health anxiety. Today my legs felt like jelly, I felt off balance and went shaky. I also get a stomach upset every period.

This site amazes me some days... I am feeling exactly like this today. I am due a period anyday but have been logging my symptoms the last few months and have noted that before each period i am feeling dizzy, off balance, nervy. I feel shivery and cant get warm and when i'm standing up i feel off balance and my legs feel like jelly.

Always reassuring to read others experiencing the same sypmptoms.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »

Megamind - have you tried eating every 3 hours, 24/7 - that included in the night when you wake?  It can ease that light headed feeling and haps with anxiety which can be caused by a drop in blood sugar ......... little and often might help!  that's 24/7 don't forget  ;)

Megamind

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »

Hi CLKD,

I can see where you are coming from as yesterday i didn't eat much for dinner then woke in night hot and sweating on chest and when i woke up i felt hungry. I'm not a breakfast person but do eat a banana every morning then at work i felt hungry again. I had quite a substantial lunch but then felt tired and for the last few hours i feel shivery and can't get warm and a bit off balance.

This does seem to happen more before a period so i think there's a connection.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »

If you ate a substantial lunch mid-day then your body will naturally need to sleep it 'off'  ::) .... could you spread your meals?

Megamind

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »

You have made me think about it and i do go too long without eating and not always the right foods.

I shall give the every 3 hours a go. Thanks.

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »

i have had the epley manoeuvre several times over the years.

I have BPPV basically crystals in the wrong place in the ears , with 24/7 tinnitus x 35 years , caused by a horse riding accident.

Starla76

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 05:02:21 PM »

Oh yes, it's one of the running threads through the Forum, along with Vaginal Atrophy.

Have a browse round. Make notes.  How old are you?  When was your last period, have they gone apparently hay-wire ?  Mine came and went for a few years then disappeared  ::).  B4 each period during my menstruating years I had 'the runs' 10 mins prior to each bleed, even when a period wasn't due.  No chance of travelling at 'that time of month'  >:(.

Don't dismiss HRT.  It can be a Life saver.  Also although The Change is 'natural' symptoms can totally unbalance the best of us!  Better to read up on HRT so that you are informed: in case.  Keeping hydrated, eating well, gentle regular exercise, 'me time' are important.  As is working on a good relationship with your GP, hopefully one informed enough to give good advice and not fob you off!

HRT can protect heart and bones.  It can prevent osteoporosis.  Panic attacks can be eased by HRT, yoga, walking, medication ......

:welcomemm:   Ask away!

Thank you all for responding. Well thinking back I've had symptoms for a while, dizziness before periods as far back as four years ago but they have intensified of late.

I am only 40 however, it runs early in our family (my Aunt was only 34). Yes my periods have started to go haywire - I'm still monthly at the moment but haywire in that it almost starts with the end of the period if that makes sense then goes heavy - periods seem to last longer as a result. Occasionally I have 14 day mid cycle spotting too.

Combined with my other symptoms as well as weight gain, joint ache and tiredness I basically feel normal for about two days a month now  :o

The runs gets almost like I imagine IBS to be. The health anxiety is the worst though - when I had a turn earlier, my head feels like it's on a boat and the jelly legs, I was really scared!  :'(

I feel like I have every symptom going!

Starla76

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »

Oh I guess I should look more into HRT I've ordered some natural remedies so will try those  :)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »

What have you ordered  :-\ - there is an Alternative Therapy room here somewhere.  Let us know how you get on.  Some ladies find that symptoms are eased until their own hormones take over  ::).

There is a Daisy web-site to look at too ...... ladies with early menopause should have HRT to protect bones and heart [I may have said this already  :-\ ]
Pages: [1] 2