Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Worried  (Read 14376 times)

Laylabud

Worried
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

Hello All
I am glad I have found this forum as I feel very alone and worried.
I have been period free for just over a year now my last period was January 2015. For the last 2 weeks I have had tender breast and period cramps, is this normal?
Can anyone advise?
Thank you.

samweller161

Re: Worried
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »

How old are you Laylabud?

Even those post menopausal ladies can get PMT symptoms (my friend is 57, def post meno but still gets it monthly-ish).  There are ladies on here who know a lot more than me but please don't be worried. You can speak to your GP if you like or just browse around the site.  In my very amateur opinion it sounds like you have gone thru peri fairly painlessly and now your hormones (or lack of) are protesting?

My periods were fairly regular (although a bit heavy) but it was the night sweats which persuaded me towards HRT.

Do NOT google!  Dr Google is not reliable - good luck, am sure somebody else will be along soon to say hi and issue advise

SP x

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »

Hello Laylabud
What Smirking Pixie said.  :)

Laylabud

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »

I am 54 smirking pixie. I had a few problems last year with a uti and just not feeling great after that but it had improved. I had 2 ultrasounds and found it had multiple cyst on one of my ovaries they couldn't see the other one and also have 2 fibroids all of which I gather to be common. In the first test my uterus wall lining was 4mm thick and 2nd one was 7mm thick which again I gather is not out of the ordinary.
Can anyone tell me if this is the normal.

Thank you.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »

Hello Laylabud and welcome to the forum.

I believe that fifty per cent of women over fifty have fibroids so they are very common and I'm guessing it's the same for ovarian cysts. When I had a hysteroscopy I was told that generally a 4mm womb lining is good but I think where you are in your cycle is also a factor. Presumably you will be contacted if your Dr. thinks more tests are required but it all sounds normal to me!

Take care.

K.

Laylabud

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »

Thank you ladies

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »

Vaginal atrophy often presents as repeated urine-type infections so do ask for HRT treatment which will ease symptoms down there.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may dry, including vagina, skin, nostrils, deep in the ears ........

Laylabud

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »

Thank you. I have another ultrasound scheduled for 20th March now.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »

Hi Laylabud

:welcomemm: from me too.

Some women do have the odd period after the 12 month point has elapsed. The time is set at this to be conservative - so that any bleeding after this point is referred to exclude the possibility of endometrial cancer, rather than it being abnormal to still have periods after going 12 months without. I am saying this because you may  have another period - the cramps and boobs could be heralding this.

Other than that - I am not sure why one would experience uterine cramps - unless this is due to the fibroids? Ovarian activity does continue even for some years after last period ( but only at a low level) so the minor fluctuations could still possibly cause tender breasts?

A lining of 7 mm is possibly on the high side but as Kathleen said the thickness will vary depending where you were in your cycle. If it was during the last 12 months without a period - then docs will want to make sure it doesn't get any thicker - if you are post-menopausal as this can be a risk for endometrial cancer - so if it is still thick, they may decide to give you something to thin it?

Hope all goes well with the scan anyway - do keep us posted :)

Hurdity x

Laylabud

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »

Well today I have had a bleed which I am very worried about it. I managed to get an emergency appointment at the doctors who has fast track me to see a gyno hopefully within a couple of weeks. The last couple of days I have had a bit of back pain. I am so worried that it is something serious.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »

HORMONES!  I would go for months without a period and even now, 12+ years since my last bleed, I get the odd cramping feeling and think "Oh no, not after all this time!"  ::)

Maybe make a list to take to your appt.?  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary might be useful.  Do you feel like it's a period as you had during your menstruating years?

Laylabud

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »

Yes kind of I have very tender breast for about  2 weeks and cramps for almost as long. Tonight my breast feel back to normal but have a tummy ache as I use to during the period years. The bleed today is light at the moment almost stopped but not usual for me over the years, I guess I will have to wait and see what the coming days will hold. I am worried and I know I shouldn't Google stuff but you do.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

I don't: unless I can find an NHS site and even then it doesn't always tell me what I need  ::).  There's a lot of mis-information or badly worded details across the internet.  Maybe because I have had various types of surgery in the days pre-internet and come through it all I rarely look for stuff on GOOGLE - I do use GOOGLE Maps a lot
though ;-).

Try not to worry.  What's the worst that could happen?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by CLKD »

ancient runner

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »

Until and unless you are told anything different, it does sound very much like a weird late period. YOu're not just bleeding but have cramping and have had breast tenderness. Please don't google - it won't take you anywhere good!

Laylabud

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »

Still spotting and not feeling great around the groin it feels just like someone is pressing on that area although not all the time. Waiting for a phone call to see a gyno. I am so worried about it being anything serious.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4