Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: My name is Lily, I'm new  (Read 1754 times)

LilyP

My name is Lily, I'm new
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:49 PM »

Hello,

My name is Lily, I turned 50 last December. After a huge exacerbation of my perimenopausal symptoms in the last couple of weeks, I was prompted to do some research into menopause, rather than just carry on thinking it was just when periods stopped?!! How stupid was I. After looking at the list of symptoms on the NHS website, of which I have a complete set, I realised that this whole thing is so much bigger than that. I have also today found this wonderful site with so much help and information. I have just watched The insiders Guide to menopause which made me cry with absolute relief! I am not a basket case after all...and I'm resuming the HRT.
This week, I have hardly recognised myself and have not left my Village for a week. After finding out all this information and reading the posts of other members, my confidence has been restored and I'm off to buy dog food!
Bye for now x

Ju Ju

Re: My name is Lily, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

:welcomemm: Lily.

LilyP

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:07 PM »

Thank you x

nearly50

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »

Last night's programme has definitely worked if it informs women about what is happening to them. So pleased you've found the forum, I keep saying this but find it incredible that so few women know what's coming. I had literally no clue and just thought my periods would end like you, and thought something awful was happening to me until my sister pointed out the obvious!

Welcome to the forum :)

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »

Agree on the lack of info. I'd have said menopause was no periods + hot flushes + maybe osteoporosis. VA? Anxiety? Various weird aches and pains? Nah. On Mumsnet every so often you see women wishing for the menopause to come - I know it's all fine for some people but not something to wish for I'd say.

nearly50

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

Heavy and more frequent periods were the big shocker for me, I thought they'd taper off in a few months not cause me to become anemic!

LilyP

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:56:02 PM »

Absolutely - same here, that was a real shock. I also have a very low Hb and iron tablets do very funny things.

nearly50

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »

Absolutely - same here, that was a real shock. I also have a very low Hb and iron tablets do very funny things.

They do, I've been taking them on and off for nearly a year now and have stomach pain every time. I have been trying to get my ferritin up to 50 or hopefully even 60 from 10 and I think I'm just about there.

Maryjane

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »

My ferritin was 7.

I thought menopause was a few hot flushes , a few heavy periods 🤔

if only ☹️

vagina atrophy 🔥Never knew why could happen to our nether regions.

Welcome I'm 50 also. 😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.  Ask, ask, ask!

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »

Hi LilyP

:welcomemm: from me too!

I could never take iron tablets but instead took (and still take from time to time) Floradix herbal iron tonic - took it through my pregnancies when I became anaemic and still use it to supplement iron now and again ( as I still have HRT periods in my 60's!). It is very gentle on the system :)

Hurdity x