Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Post-Menopause and Catching Daughter's PMT!!!  (Read 1410 times)

yellowjo

Post-Menopause and Catching Daughter's PMT!!!
« on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »

Hi! I was officially declared post-menopausal in January 2014  :( and I'm now 54. My daughter is 15. For the past twelve months or so I've noticed that around the time her period is due, I have the most atrocious moods and hissy fits, just as I did when I suffered from awful PMT. Why is this? I'm not on HRT. It seems as if there are hormones flying around that my body is picking up on. I've been terrible again this week. Rows with my husband, feeling depressed and not coping etc. Has anyone else experienced something similar? It's driving me mad. In fact, it ruined Christmas, as I was terrible on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Post-Menopause and Catching Daughter's PMT!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

Could 1 of you go on The Pill to avoid a clash of hormones.  Although many here think that women together don't menstruate together, I have experience of female living when this certainly happened.  Do you both keep mood/food/symptom diaries?  If you are aware that you are cycling together then sit down and talk about it?

Megamind

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:06:52 PM »

CLKD, yellowjo  is post menopausal so no longer having cycles!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »

There is obviously enough hormone floating round to cause PMT ........ obviously I didn't read all the question, sorry  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:32 PM »

yellowjo - It's known that when women live to together their cycle will often shift so they are in sync.  I expect you are simply picking up on your daughters cycle and probably responding to her hormonal moods.
Also, you could simply need some Omega 3, Vitamin D and magnesium - in mid winter we often get low on Vit D due to the lack of sunshine - Vit D is great for lifting mood.
A few small lifestyle changes can also work wonders - have a look at your diet and check it is well balanced - are you getting out for brisk walks or practising some relaxation techniques to help control your moods?
Don't forget to have some ‘me' time - when there are teenagers in the house this can be stressful and draining.
Don't worry about Christmas - it's a stressful time and often brings out the worst in us all.
Menopause can mess with your head - so don't be hard on yourself - you probably need to put yourself first a bit more.  DG x