Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evening lovelies  (Read 2484 times)

Love_vodka

Evening lovelies
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:10:51 PM »

Evening lovelies
I have been lurking for a while and thought I'd take the plunge and introduce myself. I have recently found out I am post? Menopausal my fsh is 109
 Lh 57.9.  I'm 44 and started the Everol 50 patches on Friday so still waiting for them to work their magic  ;)
Have had lots of lovely  :o symptoms over the past few months,including a frozen shoulder which I'm still dealing with, so looking forward to getting to know everyone and learn from you all.
Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Evening lovelies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round.  Make notes.

As oestrogen levels drop off so muscles may become lax = aches and pains including 'frozen' shoulder which is common at The Change.  Have you had physio. instruction to ease symptoms?

As oestrogen levels drop off the body becomes dry, inside and out  ::) - read the threads on vaginal atrophy etc.?

Love_vodka

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:17:09 PM »

Thanks CLKD ,

I'm learning new things everyday. I have an appointment for a distention next week which I'm hoping might help with the shoulder.
Will the estrogen patches help with vaginal dryness?
I haven't noticed much difference so far  :P

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »

Some ladies find that they require localised treatment regularly for vaginal atrophy as well as other HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:17:45 PM »

Hi Love_vodka

:welcomemm: from me too!

I presume you have had a hysterectomy or have a Mirena coil - which is why you have been given Evorel 50 and had to be tested re menopause through blood tests?

Such tests (FSH) cannot tell you where in menopause you are - ie they are not reliable for post-menopause, but that you are at least per-menopausal! However that is a pretty high level so I presume you are well on the way!

Oestrogen patches along may not necessarily help with vaginal dryness as CLKD says. Ideally this is best treated by local oestrogen which targets the vaginal tissues and bladder area - but you do need to replace oestrogen systemically (ie the patches) as well, because you are so young.

I would pop back to the GP and ask for some Vagifem if I were you - all the different types of local oestrogen are listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php. Don't be fobbed off by doc saying you can't have both because this website and the NICE Guidelines on Menopause recognise that for some women, both are needed.

I hope you feel some benefit from the patches soon - and - easy on that vodka  ;D

Hurdity x

Love_vodka

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:22 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
I had a hysterectomy a few years ago. I'm factor 5 so the increased risk of DVT means a higher increase in my risk on hrt. I've read the updated guidelines and will use the patches on supervision till I'm 50 , after that the risk becomes too high.
I'll ask about the vagifem though.
How long is it usually till I feel the benefit of the patches?
And do you know what the high levels mean?
Xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:52 AM »

Hi Love_vodka - sorry not sure what factor 5 is....

Patches usually work pretty quickly on flushes and sweats but other symptoms may take longer.

Levels of FSH and LH are increased once you become peri-menopausal - but fluctuate considerably. They continue to be high post-menopause. It is explained here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php . It's just that you cannot categorically say from the test results that you are post-menopausal, since FSH at least can go into the post-menopausal range before menopause is reached.

I presume you are able to take appropriate lifestyle measures to reduce your risk of DVT overall? As I expect you know transdermal HRT as you are using is advised, and is not associated with the same risk as tablet HRT.

Hope you see the benefits soon!

Hurdity x

Samade

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »

Is it factor V leiden? that has a higher risk of clotting

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »

Which is what exactly   :-\  ???

Samade

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »

it an inherited blood clotting condition. My ex and his family carried it but it was me that got the DVT  ???

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:44:41 PM »

Totally un-related to your clots then!

Factor V Leiden thrombophilia[1] is a genetic disorder of blood clotting. Factor V Leiden is a variant (mutated form) of human factor V (one of several substances that helps blood clot) that causes an increase in blood clotting (hypercoagulability). With this mutation, the anticoagulant protein secreted (that stops factor V from causing inappropriate clotting) is inhibited, leading to an increased tendency to form dangerous, abnormal blood clots.[2] Factor V Leiden is the most common hereditary hypercoagulability (prone to clotting) disorder amongst ethnic Europeans.[3][4][5] It is named after the Dutch city Leiden, where it was first identified in 1994 by Prof R. Bertina et al.[6]

Wikipedia

Love_vodka

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 11:01:46 PM »

Hi
Yes it's factor 5 Leiden which means my risk is of blood clotting is higher. Unfortunately there isn't much if any research on women using hrt under 50. I've been told me risk is higher in the first year.

Hurdity, I had too lots of bloods 6 weeks apart that both read high?

So far no change and no side effects on the patches one week in.

Can I ask how long do people stay on hrt usually?

Thanks xxx

matildamouse

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 11:51:54 PM »

You have my ALL my sympathies regards the feozen shoulder. Had it for about a year and it was HELL! The pain, the limited movement, the sleepless nights, the dependance on my husband etc etc....After about 60 fisio sessions, endless heat and cold packs, anti-inflammatory medications which all just gave temporary to no relieve, the only thing which helped was a cortisone injection right into the joint. Have you had that yet? All the best trying to survive with that on top of the frozen shoulder. Big hug to you.x

Love_vodka

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:40 PM »

Awww matildamouse thank you for your kind post xxx
I've had the frozen shoulder since September and confirmed menopause last month so have been feeling a bit sorry for myself. I'm trying to stay positive but admit I'm totally fed up of washing my hair one handed. The pain is horrendous isn't it?!
I'm having a distention on Tuesday which is saline to break up the adhesions and cortisone under ultrasound so keeping my things crossed it helps!

matildamouse

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 04:08:31 AM »

Yes the pain is unbearable! And nothings seems to help for the pain either...

So glad you are going for the procedure. I am sure it will bring the necessary change around. All the best and another hug.xx
Pages: [1] 2