Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause symptoms?  (Read 2950 times)

CocoH

Perimenopause symptoms?
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:22:33 PM »

Hi there! I am new to this forum. I have been suffering with intense tiredness and bursting into tears a lot lately. I think I could be going into the perimenopause. I would be grateful for any advice, going to see my GP tomorrow.

walking the dog

Re: Perimenopause symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:00:29 PM »

Hi cocoH welcome to the forum
Please tell us all a bit more about yourself, your age and what your periods are like etc
Tiredness and feeling weepy are certainly symptoms of perimenopause but can also be caused by anxiety ad depression that's why it would be useful to have a bit more information .
Do you suffer hot fushes and night sweats
Xx

nearly50

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »

Hi CocoH,  if you're over 45 your GP will probably say you are perimenopausal if your periods are irregular and you have other symptoms. Hormone testing is unreliable but it is worth asking for iron and vitamin D levels to be tested, as well as thyroid to see if they're the source of the problem

CocoH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »

I'm only 42. My periods are normal but I am getting a smear of blood in discharge now and again (this is coinciding with emotional outbursts) I have suffered with depressions and anxiety and have been on multiple meds for several years. The tiredness I am feeling and waves of emotion is unlike anything I have experienced before xx

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »

Is the smear of blood maybe when you're ovulating CocoH as that's quite common? Let us know what your doctor says, could the tiredness be from the meds you're on a the moment?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »

Hi CocoH

:welcomemm:

Unfortunately many women find that pms symptoms worsen as menopause approaches - before peri-menopause (periods becoming irregular with longer cycles) - and hormones begin to go awry even while the ovaries are still functioning and you ovulate regularly.

I agree re the meds - maybe they don't combine well with hormonal symptoms. What are you taking? Also perhaps you should mention to your doc and possibly have blood tests eg for thyroid which causes tiredness - also feeling the cold and weight gain. Bursting into tears is a common symptom - I cried a lot - but this was once my periods had become irregular and I was getting hormone crashes.

I doubt your doc will test for menopause even though you are young, because your periods are regular, but have you thought of the pill or something like that to stabilise the hormonal surges? There is one called QLAIRA also ZOELY which are a bit like HRT and don't have many pill free days and will control your cycle. You would have to be able to tolerate the progestogens in the pills though.

Hurdity x

CocoH

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:35:31 PM »

Thanks for your comments. I saw a lovely doctor this morning who was really helpful. I am having my blood taken next week to test for perimenopause and thyroid etc. I feel more positive knowing that I have been listened to. I will keep you updated with my progress. Great to know there is support out there, thank you again xx

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:48:02 PM »

Great news CocoH - that's what is important - to be listened to properly re symptoms and not be dismissed saying this can't be happening - you are too young etc! Let us know the outcome of the blood tests and if you have any treatment :)

Hurdity x