Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: breathing rate  (Read 5940 times)

babyjane

breathing rate
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »

I have read that the normal resting respiratory rate for a health adult is 12 - 20 breaths a minute.  According to the article I am dying!

I have always had a long, slow breathing rate and I average 8 - 10 breaths a minute.  First thing in the morning it can be as little as 6 - 8.

My husband is very fit and uses the gym 3 times a week and his resting breathing rate is a lot faster than mine.  I am not unfit but not as fit as he is.  Yet it says people who do CV work can have a lower respiratory rate

I breathe deeply, from my diaphragm, I cannot breathe faster or I feel I am not getting enough breath and I go dizzy.

this is clearly normal for me and I think, like blood pressure, we must all differ and these articles are not helpful.

coldethyl

Re: breathing rate
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 02:58:35 PM »

At 20 you'd actually be hyperventilating I think - the breathing stuff I used to read said aim for around 10-12 breaths a minute without forcing yourself to breathe too deeply , as deep breathing can trigger the same breathing issues as shallow.
I agree we are all different and it can be worrying to read things that suggest we might have a problem. My mum for example has a resting pulse of 45 - even when she had panic attacks it didn't race - at first she was worried but now just accepts it's normal for her.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »

Never think about it.  I am aware that I often take a deep breath because very few of us breath correctly, the only time is when singing!

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »

years ago I read how many of us tend to breathe too shallow and only use the top pat of the lungs and we should aim to 'breathe from the diphragm' which I taught myself to do. I used to be obsessed with 'doing everything right'  :) so it became a habit to breathe long and slow.

I thought it was because I didn't take enough exercise or because I take a beta blocker but perhaps it is just me.

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »

years ago I read how many of us tend to breathe too shallow and only use the top pat of the lungs and we should aim to 'breathe from the diphragm' which I taught myself to do. I used to be obsessed with 'doing everything right'  :) so it became a habit to breathe long and slow.

I thought it was because I didn't take enough exercise or because I take a beta blocker but perhaps it is just me.

Just did mine on a stopwatch - 15 breaths

Years ago in my teens a dr told me I breathed wrong, he said I was only using my upper chest and not diaphragm , and so since then I've always been aware of letting tummy inflate

cubagirl

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

I was told I was breathing incorrectly too. Wonder how that happens.  Always thought so long as I'm breathing everything is ok.  ::)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

i average 10 breathes per minute as well and always have done. did you know that to reduce blood pressure they teach people to breathe 5-6 breathes per minute with a long out breath so slow breathing is good for you!  Yoga breathing is also slow.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »

When I read this tread I have to take a deep breath  ::)

Bettyboo

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 10:58:50 AM »

I think the betablockers may have an effect BJ. I am on them and my breathing rate is slow and also resting pulse is 50, but DR says it is fine as due to BB.

I thought slow breathing was good, esp if you have anxiety or stress. I use yoga to improve my breathing.

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

yes thank you for all your comments.  I wasn't really worried but wondeed if it was just me as, according to the article, I am at death's door  :-\

I had forgotten about yogic breathing being slow, probably better to breathe slow and deep than be hyperventilating or out of breath. :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »

This thread has amused me! After having pneumonia and asthma, then a nasty virus when I was starting to recover, only to be back to breathing as something I don't take for granted! I'm just grateful to be breathing!

Lady Daviot

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »

Ladies, I am not new to the site but have never posted below, just read all your notes with interest. I am 47 been in peri for about 3-4 years. Anxiety comes and goes but I have noticed that my BP is getting higher ie 165/110. Going to be fitted with a 24 hr monitor when our practice has one! By my own admission I do suffer from health anxiety which got worse about 4 years ago. My question is does any of you ladies suffer from high BP and is this related to Menopause? and any advise apart from lose weight, get fitter, stress less and give up wine. Thanks in advance.

Dana

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »

My breathing rate is something I've never thought about. I just breathe. I did just test it though and it's about 10 per minute. I would have thought it would be similar to your resting heart rate. With fitter people it's lower.

maelynn

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »

I've worked in the pulmonary field for twenty years and although twelve to twenty breaths per minute is considered normal just like any other vital sign you can be slightly above or below and still be fine. Breathing is one of those things that is automatic but we can override it and force ourselves to breathe faster of slower. I honestly wouldn't worry about breathing 8-10 breaths per minute because if the gasses (o2 and CO2) in your blood were abnormal your body would take over to restore homeostasis and if it didn't you would know it by now. :)

Bettyboo

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »

Hi all - just another quick note on the yoga breathing - on the yoga video I did today (you tube, yoga with Adrienne) she did alternate nostril breathing. It was brilliant for inducing a really calm feeling, I am going to try to remember to do it next time I feel a panic wave coming.
Pages: [1] 2