Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello Ladies  (Read 2738 times)

Lozzamas

Hello Ladies
« on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:53 PM »

I'm just introducing myself - have been lurking for a while but thought it was time to say "hello". I was 58 last week, my last period was when I was 55 - I think. Have been using the Miriena since I was 40 so didn't have regular or significant periods, so can't be certain. I went onto Evorel Conti 3 months ago due to itching, disturbed sleep and stress incontinence. All improved initially and then I got raging aggression, worse itching, mood swings and urge incontinence. I then got frightened to death as I developed pale stools which according to the patient leaflet were a serious side effect. So after 6 weeks I started cutting the patches in half and then
stopped them. It's been 2 weeks since I used them - the itching has subsided except for where it started (the pubic area).  The moods and aggression are better but not gone I am waking for a wee at night 2 or 3 times again - but since giving up HRT whilst my stools have largely returned to normal about once a week I still have pale stools and diarrhoea, and I can't sing anymore my voice has lost all control. I think I need to put HRT down to a failed experiment - I don't think my husband and son could cope with me getting aggressive again!! However I'm worried I have damaged my Liver or Gall Bladder with HRT - I had a Liver Function test before being prescribed and all was supposedly well - how long does it take for your system to be clear of HRT so I can determine if the pale stools are
going to need a doctors visit or if they'll continue to reduce?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello Ladies
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »

Maybe ring your prescribing practitioner for advice?

There are many types of HRT.  There are many reasons for pale stools.  Both need to be discussed with your Practice Nurse or GP so that you can make informed decisions.

Browse round.  Make notes. 

As osteogren levels drop off the skin becomes dry = itching, inside and out.  (see threads on vaginal atrophy  ::)) - eyes, nostrils, deep in the ears; 4 me it was both insteps, as soon as I stepped into the bath at night and I would wake with one heel rubbing the opposite instep  ::).  Also across the back from waist upwards, Himself would gently scratch but it really didn't take the itchiness away.

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:58 PM »

Hi and welcome, was your itchiness just vaginal ? I'm wondering if you have vaginal atrophy? There are things that can be done for this xx

Lozzamas

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »

Initially it was vulva- it then affected my breasts. It's reduced back to my vulva- it doesn't appear to be atrophy- I tried various lubricants that didn't help, and I don't seem to be dry internally. My GP was quite certain the itching was menopausal, however I would have thought if that were the case the Hrt would improve it - however it only eased for about 2 weeks and then switched to being all over my back, neck, face and one arm. I probably need to go back to the GP I was hoping stopping the HRT would put things back to square one. However some of the symptoms it triggered seem to have hung around in addition to my original ones... who'd be a woman!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

Maybe keep a mood/food/symptom diary and make notes to take to your appt.? 

I wasn't particularly dry down there but developed vaginal atrophy which has been eased by appropriate treatment. 

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »

My ovaries failed at 32 after my hysterectomy, one of my first symptoms was all over body itching, like ants crawling plus during peri I developed lots of UTIs and it wasn't until I joined here that I learned about VA, I use vagifem pessaries and it's stopped all UTIs and helped a bit with bladder control but then I developed vulva itching so now use Sylk externally which really helps

It's hard to advise, if old symptoms  come back it could be you need to increase your dose but if new allergy type symptoms start it's worth looking at a different hrt.  There's quite a range available x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08:12 PM »

Hi Lozzamas

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your side effects of the HRT.

There are several things. Not wishing to give TMI but colour changes quite considerably depending on diet! Ditto the consistency.....The pale stools and diarrhoea should be checked out with the doctor if this occurs regularly - if it is not due to something you eat - and depends what you mean by pale. It is extremely unlikely that this was caused by the HRT especially as it was transdermal (patch) and did not go through your digestive system!

Re the vaginal itchiness - you definitely should have some vaginal oestrogen to help with bladder issues but pelvic floor exercises should also be carried out every day several times a day to help with stress incontinence. There is information here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Re the Evorel conti - this preparation contains oestrogen and a synthetic progestogen (norethisterone) given continuously. Some women are intolerant to the synthetic progestogen and norethisterone is one which can cause problems like pms, headaches, irritability etc - it is one of the androgenic types (derived from testosterone).

When starting HRT for the first time, even if post-menopausal, it is better to start on a cyclical HRT so that you can determine whether you are OK with a particular progestogen before switching to continuous combined if you prefer. Many of us on here actually remain with a cycle ( and some of us post-meno women on a longer than usual cycle - because we don't want to be on progestogens all the time.

The other options are Femseven - which comes as sequi or conti - or you can have a separate oestrogen patch like estradot, together with a progestogen - either provera or utrogestan,

All the different types are found under Treatments/HRT preparations - above tabs.

Hope this helps and don't give up - there is help out there - but do get your bowel checked out anyway :)

Hurdity x