Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping through the night without the need to go to the loo  (Read 5497 times)

Katejo

Sleeping through the night without the need to go to the loo
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:11:32 PM »

I do now find that I often have to get up once during the night to use the loo (and occasionally more if I can't get back to sleep). My GP has asked me about this more than once in connection with my recent kidney check. She appeared to think that it was a bad sign but i thought it was normal to need it more frequently as I get older.  I don't know whether to be concerned about this or not. I am also trying to work out the relationship between trying to drink more fluids and increased need to go to the loo. i have heard that the body adjusts itself to increased fluids and I  possibly shouldn't need to get up more often. I am just trying to make sure that my urine remains light coloured rather than drinking a specific amount.

What advice have you been given? Just interested

Tinkerbell

Re: Sleeping through the night without the need to go to the loo
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »

Are you on any HRT?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:20:06 PM »

The kidneys need regular input and I have found that if I don't drink enough I am up more in the night as my kidneys work harder.  There is supposedly a hormone which slows down output in the night and I do wonder if this lessens at The Change?

I am up at least once every night, probably around 3.30 but more if I can't sleep. 

How does your GP think this is 'bad' and how often should we get up/not in the night? 

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

Might be worth having blood sugars checked on case it's diabetes related . I have endometriosis on my bladder and that irritates it and I can be up a few times with that x

nearly50

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »

I go to the toilet when I wake up, which is fairly frequently during the night at the moment. I think it'd be hard to tell if that's what wakens you up when there's so much else going on.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »

My bladder wakes me, I often have busy dreams involving trying to find a loo or hiding to do a pee but someone seeing me  :-\.  These dreams have been with me for ever  ::) but at least, I get a warning!

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »

Might be worth having blood sugars checked on case it's diabetes related . I have endometriosis on my bladder and that irritates it and I can be up a few times with that x
I don't think it's diabetes. i don't go too frequently during the day or feel excessive thirst.

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

The kidneys need regular input and I have found that if I don't drink enough I am up more in the night as my kidneys work harder.  There is supposedly a hormone which slows down output in the night and I do wonder if this lessens at The Change?

I am up at least once every night, probably around 3.30 but more if I can't sleep. 

How does your GP think this is 'bad' and how often should we get up/not in the night?
I am not sure of her reasoning. It's just that, on my last visit, she made a point of asking about this. I got the feeling that she was thinking about health of kidneys but perhaps i was just worrying about the possible kidney problem. She has tried to tell me to limit cups of tea to 1 a day and drink fruit tea instead. I am happy to buy decaff tea but giving it up would be very difficult. I have tried fruit teas but am not a fan.

coldethyl

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »

Tea is notorious for wee inducing properties - it's all that tannin so I doubt decaf will help- Mr ethyl can't drink it much or else he is up all night and I can't drink it in evening x

Megamind

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »

My Mum has never been told that about tea and she drinks loads of it so no wonder she's up all night!

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »

Tea is notorious for wee inducing properties - it's all that tannin so I doubt decaf will help- Mr ethyl can't drink it much or else he is up all night and I can't drink it in evening x
Perhaps I'll experiment with not drinking it late in the day to see if it makes a difference.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:55:45 PM »

Fruit tea  :sick02: ..... maybe make your own fruit juices/lollies.  You can judge the amount of sugars too.

1 cup of tea, that wouldn't be enough 4 me.  I have a black tea with 2 sugars for breakfast; another mid-morning; 2 more in the afternoon/evening, plus full fat Coke, sparkling water, occasionally fruit juice ....... in the hot weather I lick lollies.  The important thing is to drink plenty in the evening to stop the kidneys 'searching' for liquids.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »

I think everyone is different. The only time I need to get up to use the loo in the night is if I'm developing a UTI or some other type of infection - maybe even just a cold. Talking about this at work, though, I am definitely in the minority as everyone else (all women) needs to get up at least once a night for a wee. Mind you, thinking about it, they go to bed around 10.30 and get up at 7 and I go about 1 a.m. and get up at 6.15 so that might make a difference?

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 12:15:07 AM »

I'm the same as you Taz, inc sleep times

It's rare for me to need pee at 3 x
Pages: [1] 2