Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rhesus Negative And Drug Incompatibility?  (Read 6848 times)

Tempest

Rhesus Negative And Drug Incompatibility?
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »

Hi! I'm Rhesus B. Neg. blood group and find I have a LOT of problems with drugs not working/causing unusual side effects/allergic reactions. I just wanted to ask if there are any other Rh. Neg. ladies here who have experienced similar? Also, I often need much smaller doses of medication than usually prescribed. Thank you for any input, ladies - it would be interesting to see if there is anyone out there who is the same (particularly B Neg, as we are the second rarest blood group. I'm not expecting to come across any rarer AB Negs)!

Maryjane

Re: Rhesus Negative And Drug Incompatibility?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

Im A resus negative , I respond more dramatically to drugs.

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

I'm O neg and so are my 2 daughters, haven't really put our blood group into the equation of drug allergys, not responding, so on but it's a good thought, will need to be thinking how we all respond to ABs, painkillers etc. Got me curious now. I've always thought blood group has a lot to do with things that go on in out body.

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »

I'm B negative and usually take a child's dose in OTC meds. I've always blamed my red hair for my drug sensitivities and my hormone sensitivities.

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »

Thank you all so much for replying! This is really interesting - I think there is definitely something in this and seemingly this area has been studied as it has been noted that we react and metabolise drugs differently. There are some very interesting scholarly articles out there about this.

Yes, Sparkle - it's the negative part that's different. We have no rhesus factor, which makes us unique in many ways. A fascinating throwaway fact I found out is that it is possible to clone rhesus positives but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to clone a rhesus negative person. There is a lot of science behind this, and again there are some good articles out there.

I'm exactly the same, Lizab and Maryjane - even post operatively, I require much smaller amounts of pain relief as it affects me quite dramatically. The hospital pharmacist was most surprised too when she wrote up my pain medications to take home. I needed only half of the normal dose of Tramadol, and even this was a bit too much!

Oh, and Lizab - red hair is a common trait of rhesus negatives too!

AHG

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »

I am O rhesus negative and haven't had any unusual responses to drugs or heard a doctor make any reference to it apart from when my two positive sons were born.
Interesting area.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 10:30:13 AM »

This is interesting as I am hypersensitive to all medications and chemicals.  I always ask to be prescribed the lowest effective dose or the child's dose and then I start by cutting it in half until my system tolerates it and even then I can guarantee I get side effects.  I cannot tolerate alcohol either.  It is al though it goes into my bloodstream neat, I even feel squiffy on the communion wine and that is merely a sip!

However my blood group is A positive so could some other factor be at work here as well?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:22:42 PM »

Imagination ?

I think t hat if someone is over or under weight it may influence the up-take of drug therapies.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

Hi Tempest - I am blood group A, & Rhesus negative and have never experienced anything odd or unusual about drugs and doses. I do agree with CLKD about body weight/fat as that is an important factor in most drugs as doses are standard rather than to do with body size.

However a few years ago I did read something about biological differences between people of different blood group - although it might just have been statistical correlations rather than trials? I am sure there are many genetic and environmental factors which could lead to differences in reaction to drugs.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 06:54:24 PM »

I had a thought  :o - why not ask the question on the Anthony Nolan Blood Doner Register site and let us know?

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »

I've had an 'aha' moment! It seems it may be less to do with blood types, and more to do with the individual's acetylation of drugs. Slow acetylators have problems metabolising and clearing drugs, thus leading to possible dose dependent unwanted overreactivity and possibly toxicity. It's a gene thing!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/acetylator

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:27:41 PM by Tempest »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:23 PM »

I think that you should remove most of that post ……… anyone could tell a scientist which then could be used B4 any Patons are registered ;-).

Tempest

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 09:26:18 PM »

I think you're probably right, CLKD. Just to be on the safe side. Thanks for having my back. :thankyou:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:28:01 PM by Tempest »

Tempest

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:53 PM »

P.S.......But my secret's safe with you though, isn't it?? ;) ;) ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »

So far  :lol: ………

Pages: [1] 2