Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hairdressers  (Read 5442 times)

babyjane

Hairdressers
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »

Hi, does anyone know whether hairdressers use clean tools for each client or whether they use the same ones?

It suddenly occurred to me this week when i had my hair cut that I did not see the HD changing the brush comb and scissors from the previous client.  I never noticed or thought about it before.

bramble

Re: Hairdressers
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »

Some do, some don't. I do notice. It used to be they kept the combs etc in some sort of solution but I don't see that nowadays.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

The 1 I go to doesn't.  My friend had a problem a few years ago when her kids got nits - the hairdresser they went to was a friend so how to address the issue  :-\ - me, I would have jumped right in  ::).

It has crossed my mind when I sit in the chair ……. although they do own their own kit apparently.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »

Now this has made me wonder. I have a mobile hairdresser and she just brings her scisssors etc in her bag. I bet if I asked her she would tell me she sterilised them at home but I suspect she doesn't.  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »

I suppose we should vouch the question?  :Are you trained in College to sterilise your scissors etc. between each Client? :

Who is going to ask first  :D

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »

Owning their own kit, even if they sterilise at the end of each day, is no guarantee.  You don't know whose hair has been through the brush before your own appointment and as the day goes on the brush and scissors are in contact with more and more hair.

I don't know why this has only just begun to bother me.  Well yes I do, it's because the last 2 times I have been I have noticed that I have a sensitive itchy scalp for a few days after the cut.  It's not that I think other peoples hair is dirty, it's that I am much more sensitive to products and chemicals than I used to be and a residue of these must be left on the brush and scissors.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »

Owning their own kit, even if they sterilise at the end of each day, is no guarantee.  You don't know whose hair has been through the brush before your own appointment and as the day goes on the brush and scissors are in contact with more and more hair.

I don't know why this has only just begun to bother me.  Well yes I do, it's because the last 2 times I have been I have noticed that I have a sensitive itchy scalp for a few days after the cut.  It's not that I think other peoples hair is dirty, it's that I am much more sensitive to products and chemicals than I used to be and a residue of these must be left on the brush and scissors.

I have to say, last time she was here, my hairdresser left behind a red comb and it was none too clean. I'm feeling quite queasy now. :'(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »

My scalp is sore if I don't wash my hair often. 

What I don't like (a meander) is when the hairdresser puts everything on my hair without asking and subsequently charges me for it all: i.e. shampoo, well that's OK - I'm in for a shampoo, cut and blow dry; but she adds conditioner which I rarely use and if I don't stop her, that awful hair spray  :o.  She does give a good massage through the conditioner though.  A point to be raised maybe?

What began as a £22.00 C/W/Bdry has risen to almost £30.00 in 6 months  :-\ - even when I washed my hair at home B4 going to the salon.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »

I only ever have a wet cut as I would probably react to the salon's products and a blow dry is a waste of time as my hair is so curly it only lasts a few hours before it does its own thing.

Back to my original musing, it seems that it is unlikely that tools are cleaned before each client.  Not sure how I feel about this although it never used to bother me in the past.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »

A good point!  One to muse over ……..

Two hoots

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »

Hi babyjane, you say you only have a wet cut, if it's a cut with just a squirt of water rather than a shampoo we call that a dry cut in my town.

I only see hairdressers using their own scissors and combs that they have in a waist belt/bag without any cleaning between clients
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:24:08 PM by Two hoots »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 06:13:17 PM »

It's only when things like this are drawn to your attention that you start to think twice!  I used to go to yoga and the tutor used to hand out mini bean bags which you laid over your eyes during relaxation.

I was telling my friend this and she was horrified that all the bags were shared. She said she would never put anything on her eyes that someone else had used because of eye infections etc.  After that I always refused one!

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 07:11:46 PM »

It's a wet cut here  ::) - a 'spritz' …… and always cold  :(