Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I hate my own progesterone.  (Read 4373 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I hate my own progesterone.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »

I had that nausea pre-bleed.  I was advised by NAPS to eat every 3 hours, throughout the day/night …….. to stop the nausea causing anxiety surges.  It is due to a difference in blood sugar levels …….. once the bleed began those symptoms would go away until about 10 days pre-bleed - AWFUL  :sigh:  (that is, nibbling a biscuit even in the night) as well as finding slow release foods to maintain energy.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »

Yes CLKD, it is exactly the same nausea I had whilst pregnant, so I know it is linked to high hormone levels. But which hormone???

It's a weird combination of hunger tinged with nausea, really odd and quite specific.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 08:58:46 PM »

I can't remember where in the cycle various hormones move up and down but it was in the days prior to the bleed …… then I would feel OK and forget about it until the next month  :-\ - one day I had to dash into the local Chemist and ask to use their loo, she was reluctant and tried to make me go to the nearest loo - over the other side of town  ::) but I then reached for a waste bin, I think she realised that I was serious  :D - the nausea went away after about 20 mins. but I got so that I ate more often particularly B4 going to something stressful, i.e. shopping.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

I looked here but am none the wiser  ::)

http://uk.clearblue.com/menstrual-cycles-and-ovulation

Lizab

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:16 AM »

GRL, did you at one time try continuous utro? Are you doing 200 mg now for your cycle? I wonder if a continuous lower dose would ease the ups and downs. Is 50 mg an option there? Obviously I'm no medical expert but perhaps something to discuss at your next consult.

I had the all day, every day morning sickness when I had Mirena. I know that hormonal gagging all too well. At that time, here in the US, all Mirena problems were blamed on "estrogen dominance". I think Mirena's ill effects were more complex than only estrogen dominance for me.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »

Hi Lizab, lovely to hear from you. How are you at the moment?

I have never taken continuos Utro. Last year I took 200mg for 12 days a month. I think I reacted to it some months, and not others? With my mood swings it's hard to tell.

Then since March I have been on 100mg just for 7 days. Again, hit and miss. But back in August I tried taking it vaginally for the first time, and it seemed to really disagree with me. Felt like I was flying into a million bits. That was when my GP suggested only taking it long cycle, every 3 months. Said because I was having periods still anyway, my womb lining couldn't become too built up.

But, I am really struggling with anxiety now again, and wondering if just too much oestrogen? But the symptoms for high oestrogen and similar for low, and similar for high progesterone.

So very confused.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 02:55:42 PM »

Sounds like you body is confused also  >:(:foryou:

Lizab

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 01:18:42 AM »

I'm doing well at the moment, GRL. Thanks for asking. I am having blips now and then but they either aren't as severe or I've learned to better handle them.

Progesterone hits me differently each month as well. One constant I'm noticing is that I get bitchier in the final days of each course. Someone commented in another thread that it seems to have a cumulative effect, and I agree. Days 1-5 of progesterone are usually fantastic for me then it's downhill for the second half of the course. After I stop it, it takes a week or more of estrogen only before I feel ok again. I would like to try a lower dose continually, but I'm hesitant because of the potential cumulative effect.

It seems like in your case, if you were on a continual, you could then adjust only the estrogen and know that whatever changes you feel are the results of the change in estrogen. I know that's not really ideal for most in peri and I don't know if anyone prescribes in peri that way, but you know your circumstances are unique. I believe the main reason they do the cycling in peri is because continual can give erratic bleeding in peri, but I think I would put up with some random bleeding if it solved everything else.

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »

The last time I took Utro was back in August, and for the first time I used it vaginally and felt it really adversely affected my mood. I wonder if taking it vaginally made it too potent a dose for me?

Taking it vaginally results in higher systemic levels - so research has shown - because more of it is absorbed and not lost through digestion. However taking it orally means that more goes through the liver and it is the metabolic by-products which can cause some of the unpleasant progesterone side effects. Hence vaginal route recommended in such cases. So it depends on which aspect is affecting you more - the systemic progesterone itself ( including yours) or the metabolites - or both.

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 05:31:32 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, it doesn't surprise me that you absorb more if taken vaginally.

I had quite a few nasty headaches, but mainly it affected my mood (as always). I felt so agitated, and like I was going to burst into a million pieces.

Also, my period was no heavier for having taken Utrogestan either. It was still very, very light.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »

I take Utrogestan for 7 days (sometimes 6). The withdrawal bleed usually comes within 3-4 days.

I haven't taken Utrogestan since August though, after my GP suggested I only use it every 3 months as I can't tolerate it. I have still had a period every month since though (very light ones, but then my periods have been getting lighter and lighter for a year).

I have just checked my calendar and since August, every month on Day 11/12 of my cycle, I've had a nasty bout of anxiety and low mood which lasts a few days. But each month this bout has lasted longer and longer. Last month it lasted a week. This month it's been 10 days, just with a brief couple of better days Weds/Thurs this week.
Pages: 1 [2]