Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I hate my own progesterone.  (Read 4372 times)

GypsyRoseLee

I hate my own progesterone.
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »

Hello All

Haven't been around much lately. Overall, have been feeling much better these last couple of months. Not sure if it's down to Prof Studd's regime, or 100mg of Sertraline (my GP thinks it's both).

Also, my cycle has recently lengthened to 29/30 days, from 24/25 days. But period getting very, very light, more like spotting really and only lasting 2-3 days.

Last month I had been feeling fine for a few weeks, but then had a nasty blip as I came to being mid cycle, and it lasted nearly a week. Felt the awful flatness, anxiety etc. Then it lifted suddenly, and I felt really good again - right up to my period starting, then through my period and out the other side. Felt better than I have in years, infact.

Then suddenly, as I reached mid cycle again (day 12 to be exact) my mood really slumped again, and have been feeling rotten again since last Tuesday. Just really low, anxious, no pleasure in anything.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas about what is going on? I would hazard that, despite my 4 pumps of gel per day, my body is still reacting to the drop in oestrogen and rise in progesterone as I go into the 2nd half of my cycle?

If this is so, I am totally at a loss as to how to help myself anymore than I already am doing???

Also, I am due to take Utrogestan for the first time in 3 months, next week (my GP said I could go long cycle, as I still have a light period every month anyway, and because I felt dreadful on it, and during the withdrawal, the last time I took it back in August).

I am dreading taking it next week when I am already feeling horrible as it is. My own period should start roughly on Dec 12th, so the withdrawal bleed from the Utro should coincide with my own bleed (Prof Studd advised I try and coincide the two like this).

I did this coincided bleed for the first time back in August, and I felt really awful. The first time Utrogestan has reacted so badly for me. My GP thought it was because I was adding Utrogestan at the very same time my own progesterone was rising prior to my period starting. I felt like I was about to burst into a million pieces.

When my bleed came, it was no heavier than my normal very light ones nowadays, despite 'adding' Utrogestan.

I just don't know what to do, or where to go from here?

GypsyRoseLee

Re: I hate my own progesterone.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:45:54 PM »

Hi and thanks *menomale*. Of course you can call me GRL, most posters do.

I really don't think it's the Sertraline causing the problem, as it's since I started taking it back in June that I have slowly started to improve. I also started sleeping so much better since I started taking it, too.

But I think you're right in that 4 pumps probably still isn't enough to fully control the hormonal fluctuations I am having. Prof Studd said if you are progesterone intolerant, then you can't tolerate the CHANGES in progesterone levels, rather than the actual level itself. When, when, when will they bloody start to calm down??? My periods are still regular but SO light nowadays. Surely the end can't be far off?

I did try the BCP last year, but couldn't tolerate the synthetic progesterone in it. Couldn't tolerate the progesterone phase in Femoston either.

I hate my own body for doing this to me.

Glad you are able to manage your intolerance better, by cutting down to 2 days. Do you take it for 25, or 12 days?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »

HORMONES  >:(.  Knowing that the feelings go away doesn't help at the time does it GRL.   :sigh:

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:17:19 PM »

Hi CLKD

It's so frustrating, as just as I think I'm on the home stretch, something trips me up again.

I did ask my GP about a hysterectomy, but she said it wouldn't happen because 'physically' I don't have any problems.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:18:33 PM »

You'll be into menopause …….. thoroughly!  But will you require progesterone which seems to be the bothersome part of HRT?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »

No, if you don't have a womb, then you don't need progesterone.

Apparently it isn't so much progesterone itself causing me issues. It's the changes in its levels which cause the nastiness. If it would just stay the same level, then I would be okay.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 07:41:10 PM »

Do I assume then that your own Hormones are joining in to upset the levels? 

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47:37 PM »

Yes, I think they must be. Last month I felt great, then hit a week-long rough patch from Days 12-18. Then felt great for another few weeks, until the exact same thing happened this month on Day 11.........and 6 days later, I am still struggling.

I am on 4 pumps, but it doesn't look like it can completely control the fluctuations I am still getting. Neither can 100mg of Sertraline.

So sick of it all.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 07:53:13 PM »

I bet you are!  If the Sertraline is easing symptoms stick with it.  When do you go for a discussion with your prescribing practioner? or maybe speak with a Pharmacist?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:04 PM »

I am certainly better since starting Sertraline. It has really improved my sleeping, which had become dreadful.

It does make me feel quite tired at times, and a bit 'dreamy' but over these last couple of months I have felt much, much better. Lots of days of just feeling 'happy' again.

I need to see my GP for another script sometime this month. I'm not sure if increasing the dose is the answer though, because it does seem to work.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »

ADs aren't a cure but a way of enabling us to function.  Sometimes I feel 'hung over'  ::) but it's preferable to what I suffered previously.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »

Yes, I agree. Feeling more tired is infinitely better to how dreadful I have felt at times.

dangermouse

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »

After all our indepth investigations into our hormone patters we could probably get jobs with MI5.

I saw an endocrinologist last week and she said if my symptoms were all worse middle of cycle (mine are really bad Days 10-20) then it's from my own oestrogen being too high due to the two peaks. If oestrogen makes you feel better though then it may be the progesterone peak in the 2nd half that is affecting you.

Glad the Sertraline is helping and maybe the every other day Utrogestan is worth a try like Menomale as then you're not having drastic peaks and falls with it. Or if it is your own progesterone that is too high then it may even it out or provide a more therapeutic dose if it is the oestrogen surging. At least you're getting closer with having some good days!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 05:26:55 PM »

Hi GypsyRoseLee (I will not call you "GRL" because I HATE calling members by their initials rather than their forum name and never do so!!!!  ::)  )

So sorry to hear you are still having problems. If your cycle is a bit erratic ie sometime 23-24 days and sometimes 29-30 days then you can't tell when your hormones are dropping except in retrospect - ie you can't necessarily attribute mood changes to one particular hormone. In a short cycle then Day 10 could well be ovulation when the oestrogen levels crashes after the pre-ovulatory peak but if your cycle is longer then it can't be due to that. Oestrogen does then rise again and then gradually falls during the last week before menstruation. Does Studd think you are sensitive both to the rise in progesterone following ovulation ( which would be at its peak one week following ovulation) and the rapid drop - rather than the progesterone itself? Most women who suffer from the prog itself get things like bloating headaches, fatigue etc, but that rapid drop gives rise to that classic pms of tension, headache, anxiety, irritability?

Pity that the 4 pumps of gel do not suppress you cycle - has he suggested an increase?

As I've said before, I am not familiar with symptoms of very high oestrogen as, if this did happen to me prior or during peri-menopause I was blissfully unaware as I did not attribute my symptoms to anything - until I had started missing periods for several months!

I can't remember but did you consider a Mirena along with very high oestrogen dose - both to suppress ovulation and protect the lining from excess oestrogen? I do hope you feel OK on the utrogestan - are you taking vaginally or orally?

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Really nice to hear from you again.

Up until 2 months ago my cycle had been 24/25 days mostly. Then these last two months, without using Utro, it has got longer 29/30 days.

Prof Studd did say that it is the actual fluctuations which cause the upset. And this seems to tie in with my mood crashing mid cycle, and me feeling awful for the next week, these last 2 months.

Between times I have felt really good, almost a bit dreamy, how I used to feel pre ovulation back before peri Menopause. But I don't know how much is the high dose oestrogen and how much can be attributed to taking an AD?

I have had the Mirena in the past, but it disagreed with me and gave me permanent PMS for the 9 months I had it in. So I am very reluctant to try it, and Prof Studd advised against it.

The last time I took Utro was back in August, and for the first time I used it vaginally and felt it really adversely affected my mood. I wonder if taking it vaginally made it too potent a dose for me?

But, one thing is sure my own cycle must still be very much in play, although my periods are extremely light.

Both these last 2 months I have suffered headaches mid cycle as my mood crashed. This month I was very bloated after my period finished, right up until mid cycle. And, I have noticed my fingers have been swollen for much of the day.

How I am feeling now (Day 19) I associate with hormonal disturbances. I feel hungry but a bit sick. I feel chilly. I feel very tearful and tense, and just can't relax. And this morning I woke just before 4am and couldn't get back to sleep which hasn't happened in a few months. So SOMETHING is happening or changing?

I just wish I knew what was going on with my body?

If I haven't improved by the start of next week I think I will have to contact Prof Studd for advice.
Pages: [1] 2