Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New to site, 3rd month trialling hrt, not good to date.  (Read 17357 times)

Hurdity

Re: New to site, 3rd month trialling hrt, not good to date.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »

Regarding different types of HRT - yes I agree we need to respect the type of HRT that women have been prescribed, but in many cases women come on here asking what are others thoughts and experiences of this, or with side effects - so that's when different thoughts come in.

Yes it is a question of what suits different women and if you are only going to use HRT for 5 years and you are under 60 - then yes just go for whichever helps you the best. If you are looking to take it when you are older or long term then other considerations come into play - which HRT has the lowest risk profile - and this is where research so far is favourable towards progesterone (Utrogestan) rather than synthetics and a transdermal route. Therefore women may well be prepared to put up with some adverse side effects for the sake of decreasing risk to long term health. Certainly that has always been the case for me - I have no idea whether I would tolerate other HRT types better - in fact I might get no side effects from Femoston or Provera - but as I am in my 60's and have been taking HRT for nearly 10 years - i do want to minimise cancer risk ( which of course is also down to lifestyle factors and genetics).

Again it is a case of there not being a blanket recommendation - although I doubt you will get many gynaecologists prescribing any of the PREM type HRT types - notwithstanding that they have been around for a long time!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »

Good points Hurdity. Just wanted to reassure Bramble.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »

:) xx

Optimist

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2016, 06:13:39 AM »

Hi all, on day 7 of the oestrogen patch and today I have to change to the progesterone/oestrogen patch. Had to use 2nd patch as had a spa day for bday and patch was coming off after day 3, other than that feeling okay so far on oestrogen have been sleeping well, but waking early (approx 6 hours sleep) but not feeling too tired in daytime, hoping this will get better with continued use, only waking once to go to toilet....bonus! Bit worried about the progesterone but will see how it goes and let you know. My GP is ringing me today at 9am as would have been reviewing the 3 months on elleste duet, she didn't prescribe the patches, a male GP did after I'd refused the prempak. (I'm glad that works for some, I really wasn't in a good enough place to take it due to how the urine is harvested). I definitely feel better overall after a week on the patch, maybe as it's a slightly higher medium dose, nervous about the patches not sticking too well after a few days, have been putting on my buttock under my underwear to avoid rubbing etc, does anyone have any tips re this? Thanks for keeping this thread going, it's great to have all this advice x

dahliagirl

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »

Hi - I haven't had patches, but I understand that the femseven are more likely to fall off.  People make sure their skin is thoroughly dry and the patch thoroughly warmed to make sure they stick well in the first place.  I have even heard of people using hairdryers.

The other combined patch available has norethisterone, like the elleste so probably best to get these to work.

I would like to try patches/transdermal, but no luck with the practice nurse so far  ::)  They are less likely to kill your libido  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »

Hi Optimist  - re the patches - I have always put them on butt cheek as the best place to avoid rubbing and keeping hidden. Also avoid knicker line, low waistbands of jeans etc. However I use Estradot which are tiny so easier to keep hidden. I have also heard that with Femseven but if they were no good they would not be still on the market.... I echo dahliagirl's advice - make sure the skin is clean and dry without any products and keep in place with warm hand for 30 secs. With mine I periodically have a quick feel to make sure it is still in place and to restick any edges that might have come loose.  If you have to change them a bit more often then once a week then you might have to get an extra box but I can see this might be tricky in terms of the combi part! Anyway glad they seem to be working in terms of symptoms - long may this last :)

Hurdity x

pearl59

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »

Hi Optomist
I am also new to the site - but just to let you know Femostan is available here- and I live in the country!!!  however, in my local chemist was only available in tablets not in patches

Optimist

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »

Thanks ladies. I'll persevere as so far feeling good and slept very well last night. I've been applying after drying well and hold on for at least a minute. It's the edges that seem to come a little unstuck after I've been to the gym, catching on clothes, so I suppose it's a case of checking like you've said and resticking. I saw that someone used Tegaderm a plaster over the top, so could get a stock of those in, just in case & apply towards end of week. It's great not having to take another tablet every morning. I will keep you posted as if these work hoping I've cracked it...😊 Only on day 2 of progesterone patch so early days yet.
Have been doing my mindfulness morn and eve also (great little app, "stop, breathe & think") would recommend. Thank you for your comments and good luck all.
Ps my partner checked out this site...he said he's had his eyes opened to what some have to go through! He didn't understand completely but had a good insight now 😉X

vickypk

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 11:15:54 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl 
Just read your post which I found interesting.  I read the posts on the forums quite often, I always feel I am on the wrong type of HRT and worry that it is harmful and then feel like coming off the site with all the negative comments.
 I have tried the gel and utrogestan, but couldn't get on with that regime.  As you say different things suit different people.
xx

Optimist

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »

On 2nd week of progesterone/eostrogen patch and feel so "flat", it's like I've forgone the ability to smile/feel happy/sad/attractive etc.!I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get this right. Absolutely no libido either which was actually okay on the tablets. The oestrogen only patch was okay, I was sleeping again! Just seem to react badly to the progesterone. Have been reading that some people cut the patches in half, can anyone recommend this if I was just to do this On the progesterone phase to see if it reduced feeling so low? Feel I need the oestrogen though to reduce joint pain so I'll be getting less of this if I cut the patch in half. Have also bought some tegaderm today and applied it over another patch I had to put on as the edges lifted water got in. It's bubbled!?! Not sure if it's the tegaderm or the patch that's bubbled can't see it well enough as it's in my butt! Any advice anyone please...starting to feel wretched again 😳

Hurdity

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »

Hi there

It's probably not a good idea to tape down the patch because as you say if the patch comes away underneath the tape you can't tell! Really best to just use it as it is but I know Femseven sometimes don't stick so well - so others have reported. Also if you cut the progestogen patch you may well not be getting enough to protect your uterus. Progesterone and the synthetics do have a dampening and/or sedative effect - some women get depressed on this stage too, or excessively tired. The only other alternative is to take separate progesterone and oestrogen because then at least you only take progestogens for 12 days per cycle and depending on how your bleed goes you might be able to reduce this slightly with the OK from your doc or perhaps lengthen your overall cycle as you become post-menopausal. You may well find that your body acclimatises to this progestogen and it is usually advised to wait 3 months before deciding whether or not it suits you.

Hope you are feeling better today :)

Hurdity x

Optimist

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »

Not getting on well at all on the progesterone. Have had to use 4 patches also so far and only on 2nd week. Have started waking again at night, feel so down. Don't want my partner anywhere near me, haven't felt like this in a while. They just won't stay on either, exercising to try feel better/sleep or showering and the patch just lifts. I will persevere but already anxious about Christmas as know I'll be back on progesterone patch and dreading feeling so low. I have my brother and family coming up. I'm going to keep going on these but ask for a referral to the menopause clinic. Will also need some more patches, not sure what GP will say to that.
Sorry I'm moaning I know....just feel horribly flat and my day is only just starting.

dahliagirl

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

Get them really warmed up before you put them on, then try a hair dryer on low, to make sure once it is on, then press until it cools (2mins).  Before you give up on them.

I never had any problems with levenorgestrel - used it for years in Ovranette.  But it did make me spotty.

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 08:57:13 PM »

Do not despair! Keep trying - and if they really don't stick then there is always Estradot which are really tiny and stick well - but the downside is you need a separate progestogen which does not come transdermally - unless you take the Utrogestan ( Progesterone) vaginally.

Hurdity x

Optimist

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »

Thanks ladies, have been resticking this one down. Had a mini meltdown this morn and had to return from driving to work. Crying irrationally, didn't sleep well again. This is so not me and I can only think it's the progesterone. Only upside is that I will be switching to oestrogen tomorrow which I felt good on when starting the patches. I didn't realise you could get vaginal utrogeston Hurdity. Maybe that's another option to try with the estrodot patches (maybe they will stick better as smaller). Thanks ladies...hope to God I feel more like myself soon x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4