Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause - prescribed conti patches??  (Read 4256 times)

winkle51

Perimenopause - prescribed conti patches??
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »

Hi, I'm new today and wondered if anyone has a similar problem?

I am 51, and have always been regular until a year ago when my periods came every 5 weeks instead of 4, since July they have been 6 weeks plus.  I initially went to see my doctor as I have very severe mood swings, which leaves me in tears for hours or ready to kill someone.   Also I have hot flushes and need to wee about a million times a day!!  I am also having terrible memory problems and dizzy spells. He suggested I may be in menopause and prescribed me Evorel Conti patches which I have been on 7 weeks.  My last period was Oct 1st.  Everything seemed okay to start with hot flushes gone, memory better, general mood improvement, apart from developing insomnia.  Then Monday this week I suddenly 'crashed' near to tears all day and an ache in the centre of my chest this got worse Tuesday and my period came with a vengeance.  Anyway yesterday I had a complete meltdown, mood switching dramatically, pains in my chest and came out of work walked round the corner and sat there crying until my hubby found me.  I have removed patch after that and feel a lot better already.

Have I been given the wrong dose my my (male) doctor? He didn't seem that interested and I am also very overweight and have large fibroids for which these patches aren't recommended.  Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

Arty

Re: Perimenopause - prescribed conti patches??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »

hi winkle51,
I'm new too, welcome! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on here. Menopause started early for me and I had to try 3 or 4 different types of hrt, over possibly 2 years (as I said, my memory is not good) before I settled for Indivina. Since I found the one most suited to me my symptoms went, my moods stabilised and my memory improved.
It sounds to me like you need to go back to doc, or try another, more sympathetic doc. I've always thought that chest pains really shouldn't be ignored.
I hope you get all the help you need, best of luck.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM winkle51
You've been given the wrong type of HRT.  You should be on a sequential HRT as you are still peri meno. The combined patches are also medium dose and it's always better to start on a lower dose first.  What is likely to have happened with you is, your womb lining has built up too much and is spontaneously shedding because you are still getting fluctuations in your own hormones.  The fibroid will also cause more bleeding and the oestrogen may have made this worse.
Pop back to the GP, show him/her the info from the TREATMENTS section at the top of this page. You could try something like Femoston 1/10 but your best option would be to have a Mirena fitted as this would probably shrink your fibroids and you could then just add in some Oestrogen as gel or patch to reduce and control the fluhses.  The great thing about the Mirena is that it usually results in no bleeding at all after the first few months.
Your GP should probably send you for a scan as well to check your fibroid and they could fit a Mirena after that.

If you are overweight then your key priority really should be to get this down and under control - the longer you leave this the tougher it will be - sadly your risk factors rise significantly if you are carrying too much weight.  I know this is tough but joining a slimming club could be the best thing you've ever done in terms of helping your long term health and reducing the effects of the menopause. HRT can help with weight loss as it can make you feel better so you are more inclined to exercise - lots of brisk walking is the best exercise. Do try to reduce portion sizes and cut out as much sugar as possible.
Keep us posted  DG x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »

Welcome to MM!

I agree with DG, you have been put on completely the wrong type of HRT and should be on a cyclical regime.  From what you have said, this form of HRT will never suit you because it sounds as thought you have reacted badly to the norethisterone part of it.  Some women have problems with continuous combined forms of HRT because the progesterone part becomes too dominant to takes away all the good work the oestrogen is doing.   

Some GPs are switched on with regards to the menopause and HRT but it would appear that others bung women on any old thing and don't give it much thought.  What you try next really depends on how well you tolerate the progesterone part of HRT and that varies from person to person - some women cope well and others don't. 

As DG says, you could try a Mirena coil or Femoston or alternatively, you could try Oestrogel/patches (oestrogen) with a separate form of progesterone.  I like the gel because it is flexible and easy to adjust the dose and you simply rub it onto your skin everyday but have a look at the different types of HRT and see if there is anything you like the look of.  I use Utrogestan for the progesterone part which is a capsule that you can use vaginally which I prefer because (in my case) it has fewer side effects.

You might also want to take a look at Professor John Studd's website.  He talks a lot about progesterone intolerance and you might find that helpful.

I think you will do very well on HRT but you need to find the right regime.

I hope that helps.

winkle51

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »

Thank you so much for your replies.  They do really help. 

I'm not sure why I am reacting badly to the norethisterone as I had to take it when I was having really heavy periods two years ago to stop them.  They did attempt an ablation for my fibroids in October 2014 but as they hadn't given me any anaesthetic they had to stop the procedure after a couple of minutes as I was on so much pain so it wasn't completed.

I have booked an appointment with a lady GP this Thursday so hopefully she will be able to sort it out as I am so down and tearful I can barely get to work! Thank you again for your replices it is most appreciated.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 06:01:22 PM »

Hi winkle51

:welcomemm:

Well from what you say your change in mood coincided with a period so as Dancinggirl says it sounds like your own hormones - your menstrual cycle. Because you have been given the wrong HRT - ie continuous combined, and are in early peri-menopause, your cycle will just carry on - the HRT will not stop your periods. The extra oestrogen may help during the end of the cycle but because ovulation is still occurring you are still experiencing mood swings due to some hormonal surges and crashes.

I agree with Dancinggirl re trying to control your weight as an urgent priority and also that a Mirena sounds like it could be a better option because of your fibroids.

You may also be reacting to the continuous progestogen (the norethisterone) but if you were OK on it before maybe not and as I said it could just be your own hormones coming into play.

Peri-menopause is a tricky time to know quite what is causing what and what to do for the best!

Hurdity x

winkle51

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »

Thank you Hurdity for your reply.

I joined weight watchers yesterday because, perimenopause or not, I definitely need to lose weight.

I appreciate everyones help.  I have had mood swings before obvs but nothing like I'm having at the mo but thanks to your replies I don't feel so alone and crazy now.

x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »

Well done winkle51 - that's the first step! Good luck on your journey and let us know how you get on :)

Hurdity x