Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Citalopram  (Read 10413 times)

Annidav

Citalopram
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »

hi- been to see ANOTHER GP this morning as wanted a general discussion about all of this and my continuing anxiety; she has prescribed me 20mg Citalopram - this is ringing alarm bells with me as I am sure I have read previous posts from ladies who have had bad experience of this???; she has also suggested I continue with the HRT as I am apparently on a high dose so she can't prescribe an increased dosage (I am on Elleste Conti Duet 2mg) and gave me a leaflet for an Anxiety Counselling Service so I have contacted them this morning and have an appointment on 9th November....

Annie0710

Re: Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:22 AM »

Hi I have NO experience of anxiety meds although meno has brought on a degree of anxiety for me (more social anxiety) but like you I'm sure I've read on here about that med with side effects.  Isn't there a sister drug similar in name that is more gentle ? Sorry I can't remember the name of it but it sounds like Citalopram x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:21:19 AM »

Hi fiftygirl - ADs/SRRIs are often needed alongside HRT to really get anxiety under control.  Citolapram is a popular one I understand and suits many people very well.  Like HRT and many other treatments it's often matter of trial and error before finding the one that suits.  My gynae recommended Citalopram to me should I need it - so I would try this SRRI and see how you get on.  Do read about some of the initial side effects so you are prepared as some people react quite strongly in the first 2-4 weeks on any AD or SRRI - however after about 2 weeks it should start to work it's magic.
I would definitely consider the counselling as this can be very helpful - CBT and Mindful Meditation are very good for helping control anxiety and low mood.  The strategies that you learn need to be practised and done regularly to really help and can enable you to go forward in a very positive way. Good luck.  DG x

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

Annie, you're correct! It's Escitalopram and it is supposed to have a gentler start up. :)

Hi, fiftygirl! I'm sorry to hear you're another lady struggling with the dreaded anxiety.

Yes, SSRI's can have a bumpy start up but if you'd like to try it, your GP can prescribe a very short course of diazepam in addition just to get you 'over the bridge'. Don't be afraid of these - a short course is NOT addictive and using them initially can be the difference between sticking with the SSRI or not. Until it kicks in properly, initially anxiety may become more intense until the drug settles into your system.

If you're nervous, contact your GP and ask if you may have the diazepam to hand if you need it. It shouldn't be a problem!

Good luck!

xxxxxx

dazned

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »

My friend has just started citlopram 5 days ago alongside her hrt for anxiety,palpitations,panic attacks. She says it already has had a positive effect on her although she says she feels a bit tired on it but this should lessen over a few weeks time. Lots of us use both hrt and Ads.

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:38 AM »

Fiftygirl, I've been on and off Citalopram for years and I've never had a problem with them.  I was changed to Sertraline earlier this year and never want to repeat that experience ever again!  Back on the Citalopram and back to normal thankfully.  If you do go down the Citalopram route, I would only take 10mg to start off with and see how you got on and then up to the supposedly therapeutic dose of 20mg after about a month.  I am so paranoid about tablets that I usually start on a bit of the tablet first to see if I react to it!!  x

Miss Lemon

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »

Hi Fiftygirl. I have been on 20mg of Citalopram for several months now and it has been a life saver for me. Prior to taking it I was anxious and irritable 24/7 and was weepy at best on a daily basis and suicidally depressed at worst. I have tried HRT but every time oestrogen is introduced my anxiety/depression go through the roof.

I had moderate side effects for the first two weeks of taking Citalopram; slight nausea, chest tightening etc but from then on it has just been positive effects. I very rarely feel any anxiety these days and have not had that overwhelming anxiety since starting the drug. It has given me my life back.

I hope that you try it and that it helps you as much as it has helped me. X

Janice68

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 01:37:17 PM »

I'm on 20mg of citalopram and I've been on it for 6months now.  It stopped my panic attacks straight away and has helped so much with the anxiety too. This is the best Ad I've been on!!  but we are all different what works for one person may not work for another! Trial and error!
Take care
Jan x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 03:57:49 PM »

Hi fiftygirl

Does the anxiety coincide with a particular part of your HRT cycle and has it raised its head as you approach menopause? I only ask because the HRT that you are on contains norethisterone which can cause depression, headaches and anxiety - pms type symptoms - in some women.

Have you tried any other HRT - if not I am surprised this was not suggested to you? It would be a pity to start down the route of ADs unnecessarily if the anxiety you are experiencing is actually a consequence of your treatment!!

Just a thought...

Hurdity x

Ms Saucy

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »

Hi there.
I started on Citralopam about three years ago after peri and my now ex was cheating on me.
It can be bumpy in the start - say two weeks, or at least that's what happened to me. If you know it could be like that the benefits are enormous. I started on 10mg and now take 40 with no worries at all, it's a life saver and long term for me, after all I want a quality of life...
Hugs
Ms Saucy xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Take it.  Because someone reports problems then that's not necessarily going to happen if you try it. 

perimandy

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

Hello fiftygirl, I take Citalopram, and have done for about 10 years.  I find it really helpful, at present I am on 20mg, but I have been on 10mg and 30mg depending on how I'm feeling.  Oestrogen Really Helps my anxiety and depression, and the two work together fine.  I do get some side effects of the Citalopram, a bit constipated and a bit sweaty, but these are both manageable.  Hope you can feel better soon; anxiety and depression is a very horrible thing, and there is life beyond! x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »

Well said Perimandy …………

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »

Citalopram and Escitalopram has helped me deal with painful and difficult psychotherapy this year. I have never taken a high dose and am now on a very low maintenance dose and do not intend to be on it long term, but if I had needed to I would have.

When you have less years ahead of you than you have behind you then anything that contributes to quality of life can be embraced.

samweller161

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 03:00:42 PM »

Hi there, I have been taking 20mg of Ecitalapram with Elleste Duet 1mg.  It seems to be the correct dose and no nasty side effects.  Oddly I do try sometimes to cut down to 10mg but, after a while, my anxiety returns so I up it again to 20mg.  I keep trying to see if I can manage but it would appear not!  I would certainly recommend it :D

Sooo glad I have found this forum - I don't feel so alone any more!

xx
Pages: [1] 2 3