Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vagifem and ovestin  (Read 2259 times)

countrybumpkin

Vagifem and ovestin
« on: October 18, 2016, 05:45:31 PM »

I started vagifem 18 months ago for urethral caruncle and for first year it worked well although not 100% symptom free but last 6 months symtoms coming back. I upped to 3 times a week on Dr advice but not much difference.

2 weeks ago i saw a new lady Dr who was very on the ball ( sadly she is only there for 6 months) and she had a good look at me ::) and gave me ovestin to apply directly to the caruncle every night for 2 weeks. 

This has helped hugely. She said to reduce vagifem to twice a week and use the ovestin as and when needed.

She has also arranged for me to have ultrasound to check womb lining as i have been on vagifem for over a year although she said it is extremely rare for it to be affected.

I am not sure how to interpret the as and when for ovestin.  Suppose I just stop using it now after 2 weeks and see what happens so that I can work out when I might need to use it.

Tinkerbell

Re: Vagifem and ovestin
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:25 PM »

You do not need a scan if you are on Vagifem or Ovestin , that is stated in the latest Nice guidelines.

I would try and work out what works re the dosage of Ovestin by trial and error. I use it on the outside areas about 4 times a week and Vagifem every day.

Tinkerbell

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »

The only reason to have a scan of your uterus would be if you had signs of anything abnormal eg abnormal bleeding or perhaps uterine pain? As Tinkerbell says - not as a precaution for long term use of Vagifem.

However, I would never refuse a scan if offered one because it's great to check the condition and thickness of the womb lining post-menopause - as scans are not offered routinely - so go for it - with nothing to worry about :)

Hurdity x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:09 PM »

Yes, I was going to say that as well Huridty.
I would probably accept one if offered as they look at the old ovaries too ( grandmother died from ovarian cancer)