Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is this all perimenopause or am I going mad?? Really struggling  (Read 4360 times)

Straykatz

Is this all perimenopause or am I going mad?? Really struggling
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »

Hi ladies,

Just found this site
I feel like a total mess  :'(

I'm 42 and 2 years ago I started having panic attacks out of nowhere, I was getting anxiety and depression too. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and tried to put on pills but in the end did 12 weeks of counseling.  I seemed to feel a bit better after but then this last year and especially the last few months I'm getting worse again
I honestly only feel normal about 1 week a month now, I get terrible PMS, awful anger at ovulation and pains.
I'm mood swinging between crying, anger, irritable, depressed and exhaustion and not sleeping properly. My periods still only last about 3 days as always but they have dropped from 28 days to 26 to 25 and now this last month it was 30 days. They are painful and big blood clots and heavy
I'm hot all the time, especially at night and I do wake up sweating some nights but I don't think I'm getting your typical hot flushes
I have been reading up on perimenopause the last 2 years as was sure thats why the anxiety started 2 years ago but GP's said I was too young and my blood tests were normal, although ive since learnt they are unreliable any due to fluctuating hormones
I feel like I'm going crazy......my personality has changed. I'm really worried about my marriage, husband is getting sick of me and my moods and lack of sex drive most weeks, but I'm so tired by 9PM.
He is taking it all personally when I'm moody or quiet, and its causing problems now...I love him so much but he's very insecure and I'm being sensitive, what I really need is extra hugs and reassuring but all I'm getting is him being pissed off with me
My 7 year old has to put up with me being irritable and snappy too, I hate myself that I'm being like it and cry my eyes out on my own
I don't use contraception because hubby had the snip so I don't know if the mini pill would help? Everything ive read sounds like my estrogen is too high maybe due to low progesterone?? I'm scared of hrt and risks...I'm overweight by about 5 stone now as ive gained all my weight I lost a few years ago, I'm just so miserable and dreading having years of this still to come
 :'( :'( :'(

Oh the other symptom I forgot to mention is dizziness at certain times of the month, usually before ovulation and periods
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:34:50 PM by Straykatz »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this all perimenopause or am I going mad?? Really struggling
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »

Yep, sounds like peri to me  ::):welcomemm: to The Change.

There is a page to print off for your husband …….. however, his feelings are his problem, not yours!  He needs to find out why he is 'insecure': or is that you guilt talking?

Browse round.  Make notes.  HRT and risks - well stop reading any media hype and read what Dr Currie suggested a few weeks ago.  My take is that it is better to have a risk and feel better, than worry about cancer etc., that bus might be along well before !!!  HRT can protect heart and bones too.

Have a look at the Daisy web-site too.  Make a list of the symptoms and what you would like to sort first.  Keeping a food/mood/symptom diary can help too.  PMT can be eased by eating every 3 hours and keeping well hydrated.

Some find that exercise, walking, cycling, yoga helpful.

CLKD

Straykatz

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »

Thank you,
Yes I saw the husband advice just earlier
I will definitely try and get him to read it

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 05:35:11 PM »

Talk to your Husband and tell him it's The Change.  Is he amenable?  Would he take on different chores around the house/garden for example? 

Bracken willowshimmer

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

Hi Sk

I thought I would post because you sound so like me.

I am 44 and my symptoms started about three years ago.  They happened overnight.  I honestly thought I was going mad.

Three years on things are better.  I still have good and bad days but nothing like they were when it all started.  I managed to see a good dr at a menopause clinic who prescribed me hrt and put in the mirena coil.  I also take sertraline, which is an antidepressant. 

Hope this helps, I also found a really good book by Paul David called at last a life and he gives lots of advice on dealing with anxiety.

I hope this helps and let's you know you aren't alone with this.

Xx

Straykatz

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »

Thank you

I have a doctors appointment today so hopefully I may get somewhere

PS. Does anybody know why I cant reply to a PM I have received? It tells me I cannot send messages

Megamind

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »

I couldn't reply to a private message when I first joined. I think you have to post a few times before it allows it.

Definitely sounds like you are going through peri menopause. It's a shame some Dr's use the excuse 'you're too young'. You are right about the blood tests being unreliable but my GP just listened to my symptoms and said it was peri.