Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: PMB and long wait for biopsy results  (Read 2059 times)

SueEC

PMB and long wait for biopsy results
« on: September 12, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »

Hello everyone - I'm new to this site which I've been reading with interest.

I had a 3-day menopause bleed last month after two and a half years of nothing. Very strange as I had all the old feelings - aching thighs, sore boobs etc and then there it was bham! Never taken HRT and had very little in the way of hot flashes etc for the last year. Got to see a (very unempathetic) child doctor the same day and was referred for the standard fast track TVU, which I had two weeks later.

The scan showed all normal except for a clinically insignificant (the consultant's words) fibroid, and a couple of small (clinically insignificant) cysts on my ovaries. I had some endo thickening - 8mm and he also said he could see eggs and probably evidence of ovarian activity. He said I had probably experienced a 'last hurrah' hormonal/oestrogen surge - took a biopsy because of the thickened endo, but said he didn't expect it to reveal anything untoward. Had a follow-up letter a week later confirming the TVU results, but it's now been three weeks and I've heard nothing further. Consultant said he would write with the biopsy results.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, indeed has their consultant mentioned this last hurrah that I keep reading about in blogs?

Getting a bit concerned that I've heard nothing to date - was assuming that if the results were questionable I would have been contacted pretty quickly, but you can never tell with the NHS. Someone suggested that if results are negative the NHS doesn't always contact you......

Any advice you can give to calm my frazzled mind would be gratefully received.

Elizabethrose

Re: PMB and long wait for biopsy results
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:05:10 PM »

Hi SueEC

Welcome to the forum!

Yes I've been told that this is possible and have read a number of papers describing it. I recently posted the following on another thread, thought it might be worthwhile you reading it.

http://www.gfmer.ch/Books/bookmp/33.htm

One passage that particularly caught my eye was this;

The female fetus starts in utero with approximately 6 million primordial follicles which decrease to 600,000 at birth, 300,000 at menarche and 10,000 or fewer near the time of the menopause. A few immature follicles may continue to undergo maturation and atresia even for a few years after the menopause. There have been some reports of postmenopausal ovulation.

I had a very long wait for biopsy results recently, as have others here. I suspect that bad news sneaks through the system quickly so the longer you wait the more likely all will be well.

The fact that you had all the usual period symptoms is encouraging as it reinforces the possibility of the above having happened. What a blow though - just when you thought you were done and dusted! We have a thread on here for late peri women. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the same thing happened to me!

I wish you well. x
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:00:34 PM by Elizabethrose »

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

Hi SueEC I had a polyps removed recently and was told the biopsy result could take up to 8 weeks. I don't believe that the NHS would not send out a result however it may have gone to your GP, I would ring them to check. I always maintain if it was bad or questionable news you would get to know quickly, with that and the fact that he said he didn't expect it to be anything untoward I think you should give your frazzled mind a rest ( I am of course a great one to talk ) Flutterbyx

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 07:58:15 PM »

Hi SueEc

Taz x  :welcomemm:

SueEC

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:17:36 PM »

The rational part of me says what you are saying ladies, but the anxiety always takes over and I start thinking the worst. The relief after the TVU was palpable but then there's the two week (or more) wait for the biopsy once the initial euphoria of a clean scan has subsided.....

Can't help wondering why, when a lot of consultants tell you there and then about these hormonal surges and last hurrahs, that there's so little mention of it in any literature. Seems to be nothing but the cancer default setting wherever you look - until you finally find sites such as this and see that the experience of menopause has such an infinite variety of forms, problems and irritations. As you say ElizabethRose 'just when you thought you were done and dusted'!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »

Frazzled - now there's a word that will cover a multitude of sins  ;D:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »

Hi SueEC

:welcomemm: from me too.

One thing you haven't mentioned is your age. Spontaneous resumption of ovarian activity is more common in women who go through menopause at a younger age so I have read. The date of menopause ie date of last period after no period for 12 months, is set conservatively to ensure any bleeding beyond this time is investigated so that any cases of cancer are not missed. This of course means that many more women will be investigated when nothing will be found to wrong - but better this than the opposite.

Try not to worry. I know that's easy to say. In my case when I had a similar biopsy due to bleeding, the results had apparently been sent through much earlier but it took them forever to write the letter (all was normal)!

Hurdity x

SueEC

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:05 PM »

Hurdity - I turned 54 this year. Last period in 2013 - so around mid-range for start of menopause.

Strangely enough the same thing happened to my mother when she was twenty years into menopause - she suddenly felt all the old symptoms and sure enough had a 3-day bleed. The consultant said same thing to her back in the 90s, and no cause was ever found for her one-off bleeding episode. Seems like sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason when these things happen, but I do see that doctors have a duty to investigate in a standard procedural way.

I'll chase up the consultant if I haven't heard by the end of the week.