Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Change in hot flushes  (Read 1974 times)

countrybumpkin

Change in hot flushes
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:28:52 PM »

I am 4 yrs post meno not on hrt.  I got alot of hot flushes ( no sweating) in the few years before being post meno = they were frequent but very short and did not affect me much in that I just felt glowing hot for a minute or so.  Once I was post meno the flushes calmed down but I did notice that when I got them ( a few times a day) they lasted longer and I felt much more iffy like slightly faint.
Past year or so they are down to one a day or so but recently they have increased a bit and also I now feel very lightheaded and weird in the seconds before the incredible heat hits. I still don't sweat but I go beetroot red in chest and face and I feel so ill while it lasts and for ages after its stopped. I also often have to rush for a bowel movement. Not sure if this is part of the flush or just me panicking because I think I might pass out!
I know flushes can change especially after post meno when you least expect it!
Just wanted others experiences and advice.
I can't do hrt due to family history of female cancers.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Change in hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »

:bighug: 

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »

Hi countrybumpkin

Am I right in remembering you also have underactive thyroid and on thyroid medication? If so this could also be playing a part and maybe you need to adjust your thyroid medication? If I've confused you with someone else - sorry!!

Hurdity x

lorrapaw

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »

I get like that i feel bit spaced out sometimes and sick feeling. Im about 11 years post meno. Does post meno mean since last period? As its been 11 for me. But 9 years since starting meno symptoms.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:44:32 PM »

Thanks everyone. My thyroid is fine I have just had it tested and was exact same results as 5 months ago so its stable at least ::)

As for anxiety - I was not sure if it was just me getting into a panic because I felt so peculiar or anxiety/flush making me feel peculair?!

I had another one yesterday where I suddenly felt lightheaded and waffy and then the overwhelming heat but no sweating but I thought its just a flush and will pass so wasnt as anxious and it did pass without me falling to the floor.

I do find that I can get hot flush before bowel movements as well although maybe it the hot flush provoking the bm ???

What makes me anxious is not knowing when its going to happen or how lightheaded I will feel - chicken and egg!

Justjules

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi Countrybumpkin, not quite the same as you but I get the weird feeling, then the flush, then the fainty feeling and the need to rush to the loo quite often at the moment.  Sat here at work feeling not quite right, sort of lightheaded and feel I could keel over if I thought about it too much.  Never know what these feelings are and they then start to panic me.  My flushes seem to have come back again and I'm at least 7 years post meno  ???

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »

Justjules, good to hear I am not the only one with weirdness ;)

It's the lightheaded iffy feeling that is the worst for me, the flush is fine I can cope with it but the head makes me panic which then compounds everything!

Justjules

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »

Yep, me too. Wonder what it feels like just to feel normal?? Been so long I've forgotten! Just to go about the day without thinking 'whoa, what was that' or 'why do I feel so bloomin rubbish today' etc. I look at other women when I'm out at lunch time and wonder how they feel as I always assume they're fine as they are strolling along shopping or chatting with a friend and assume it's just me who feels crap all the time!  :-\