Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as 'estrogen dominance'?  (Read 7842 times)

jasper

Is there such a thing as 'estrogen dominance'?
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »

Naturopaths/alternative medicine etc all talk about estrogen dominance as the big evil.  In the mainstream, estrogen seen as good and progesterone a necessary evil (most of the time)? I am confused as to whether estrogen dominance (which you would probably have on hrt if using minimum necessary progesterone) exists? What am I missing here? thanks

imgeha

Re: Is there such a thing as 'estrogen dominance'?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »

It's not so much a question of whether oestrogen is good and progesterone is bad, it's that an imbalance between the two causes unpleasant symptoms. Most women become oestrogen dominant in peri, as progesterone is the first hormone to fall.  The relative dominance of oestrogen to progesterone gives us heavy bleeding, a short cycle, fibroids etc - and are seen as signs of oestrogen dominance, but could equally be considered progesterone deficiency. Our peri and menopausal symptoms are caused by an imbalance between the two, and falling oestrogen overall.   Oestrogen falls more slowly than progesterone throughout peri, stopping periods when it falls below a certain point, and then slowly coming into balance with progesterone again - albeit at much lower levels - at the end of the menopausal period.  That's the theory anyway!  I think naturopaths and alternative medicine get worried about estrogen dominance because it can also be caused by xenoestrogens from plastic and environmental toxins.

jasper

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 11:18:38 AM »

thanks Imega - this is what I had always understood but the impression I get from reading Studd etc and most posts here is that a lot of the time progesterone makes those in peri/menopause feel bad and the idea is too take the minimum to ensure a bleed, rather than because the 2 hormones need to stay in balance?

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »

I've often wondered this about oestrogen dominance/progesterone deficiency and have been told it's non existent but here's my theory:

I have been on oestrogen only hrt since I was 32 after my hysterectomy (ovaries started failing shortly after op)(I'm now nearly 50)

All those years from age 32 to 45 on oestrogen only hrt I was fine and I presume I was still producing progesterone and testosterone throughout those years as well as ovulating myself intermittently

Age 45 I started feeling poorly and tests showed peri with dropping progesterone levels and docs said nothing they can do, oestrogen levels were always good so I asked could I have progesterone to balance out as 'something' was causing these symptoms, no they said because I have no uterus although women who had hysterectomy because of endometriosis should have progesterone as there could be bits of uterus left

I kept asking maybe my body craves the levels back up but no answers were given

I bought utrogestan myself and tried it, I think I actually felt better on it, I took it orally and had no problems, and I felt calmer.  I was called to new nurse to review my hrt and I told her about the utrogestan , OMG she went mad, you'd think I'd been snorting cocaine in back alleys by her reaction, she said I must stop immediately and she thinks I'm taking too much oestrogen and it's probably my testosterone being low that is causing my symptoms

By the way, I did suggest many times that if its not progesterone deficiency could they look into testosterone deficiency but no one would, so I tried balancing the oestrogen/progesterone myself

I'm being tested for testosterone next Wednesday

Annie x
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:46:35 PM by Annie0710 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »

GPs are loathe to go the testosterone route with women in case we require it  ::)

…….. by xenoestrogens from plastic and environmental toxins …….. - discuss? 

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »

Menomale what hormones are you taking in hrt ?

Annie x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:12:34 PM »

You can see my medicine regime just below my posts:

50, 8 months last period, newbie on HRT, Estradiol 1mg, Estriol 2.5mg, Progesterone 50mg (bioidentical) daily transdermal cream, DHEA 25 mg pill 3x/week, Utrogestan 100mg vag. Perimeno at 44 y/o. Hot flushes, depression, anxiety, migraine. Blood tests: hormones all postmeno. Suppl. Vit B12 and D3.

Also I have a thread named "First HRT experience: full description" http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32988.msg527992.html#msg527992

I'm sorry I'm such a dope at times, I didn't notice !

So you're not on testosterone ? Does DHEA convert to testosterone?

I'm interested to see what my T levels are as I have every symptom and anxiety is one of them!

11 days is still early, many on here say it can take up to 3 months, hang in there

Ps- your doc is thorough with the tests !

Annie x

Dana

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »

I'm afraid I'm very cynical about why naturopaths, and the like, talk about estrogen dominance. Basically proper estrogen (as opposed to phytoestrogens) is prescription only, so therefore they can't sell it to you. However, progesterone creams are very easily obtainable, and can even be bought over the counter, and these alternative practitioners make most of their money out of selling you stuff.

This fad for "estrogen dominance" has seen a lot of women suffering from progesterone toxicity because they self medicate, and think if a little makes you feel good then a lot must make you feel great. Big mistake.

It is possible for estrogen to be dominant to progesterone during peri, while all our hormones are in chaos, but estrogen itself would also be declining. If menopause was caused by estrogen dominance, as its "inventor" Dr Lee claims, then basically we wouldn't be menopausal.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:30:46 PM by Dana »

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »

Good luck Menomale , I really hope it works for you xx

soniad

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:12 PM »

This is EXACTLY the question I have been trying to find the answer to myself! Jasper, thank you from bringing this up.

I have been on a 25 mcg patch and 100mg Utrogestan (vaginally for 14 days of the month) I only started HRT on 26th July.

Things were going okay, until last Thursday when I started my Utrogestan. All of a sudden I couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep. I had my FSH, estradiol and progesterone levels tested on day 21 of my cycle.

Given my symptoms, I was expecting progesterone dominance to be the problem. I've searched high and low for what exactly is the 'optimum' ratio between progesterone and estrogen. I only found one website that discussed it in detail and the consensus was that the P/E2 Ration should be 100-500.

My ratio was only 77 so that theory went out the window. If this ratio is to be believed, most of us on here are pretty much stuffed aren't we??

I've read both of Doctor Elizabeth Vliet's books from cover to cover and while she discussed ratios, she didn't actually provide an optimal figure. What I DID glean from her book though, was that while my estradiol blood levels were 'acceptable' (IE: Above 100 pg/ml), they were probably not optimal. I upped my patch to 37.5 and in the last couple of nights my sleep has improved.

I'm afraid I'm very cynical about why naturopaths, and the like, talk about estrogen dominance. Basically proper estrogen (as opposed to phytoestrogens) are prescription only, so therefore they can't sell them to you. However, progesterone creams are very easily obtainable, and can even be bought over the counter, and these alternative practitioners make most of their money by selling you stuff.

Dana, I think you're right. I think that maybe this 'magical P/E2' ratio figure is probably touted by the progesterone-cream pushers. At least that is what by body is telling me.

dangermouse

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 10:36:57 PM »

Annie0710 - I remember Suzanne Somers saying in her book that she had had a hysterectomy and was not given progesterone initially as its seen not to be needed. She felt much better when she went on it as she believes all women need it. Perhaps you'll find some more on which symptoms it helped her with if you Google it.

It makes sense as surely we need all our hormones, including testosterone.

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 11:19:32 PM »

Oh Dangermouse !
I actually felt better on it and had no side effects from using it orally but my surgery won't even discuss it saying it's only useful for one thing during meno and nothing else

Yet some of these women on the hysterectomy forum are being prescribed it for their emotional wellbeing

Annie x

Dawncam

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »

Just thought I'd add to the prog yes/no debate. I'm not sure about oestrogen dominance theory and know that it's been poo-pooed by a lot of eminent medics who know better and state that it was  a marketing tool used by Dr Lee to sell his cream (which I also know nothing about) but....... I've recently started using utro 100 v route nightly as well as considerably upping my E patch and I have to say, so far, I feel great. No fluid retention/less disrupted sleep/night sweats and joints starting to ease off. Now, this could be  extra E doing the work but I know that on this level of E, I'd be up like a balloon with water. It's early days but I'm watching closely. Perhaps, as Hurdity says, we all need to find our 'sweet spot' - hope to god I've found mine - it's been a journey!!

Good luck everyone.

Dxx

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »

Oh Dawncam hopefully you'll carry on feeling great

I think the prog slightly lowers your oestrogen so that also could be why the balance is good for you

Annie X

Dana

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »

Hi Dawncam

I think the difference is that you are using both estrogen and progesterone. Those who support the estrogen dominance theory just want women using progesterone creams, which subsequently puts everything out of whack and can lead to some nasty side effects. Dr Lee's theories gets no support from experts in the field.
Pages: [1] 2